Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 775871 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #360 on: October 31, 2014, 05:18:46 PM »
Kooks headers have tubes that are over 2" diameter for Fords.  They say that they will make headers, but I am not sure of SOHCs.  Could call them and ask.  Joe-JDC.
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #361 on: October 31, 2014, 07:49:22 PM »
How big are the tubes on the headers you are thinking of modifying?  You'll be choking off a lot of engine horsepower if they're too small.  I wouldn't go less than 2" on that engine...
Hey Jay.  What is the Ideal primary tube diameter? I think I was reading 2.5" to 3".....   

2.5" is way too big.  2" to 2 1/8" is probably about right for your engine.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 01, 2014, 10:13:12 AM »
Hi Cobra Cammer looks like its comming along well, On your steering rack once you have it unhooked do not  turn the steering wheel at all, there is a clock spring in side just below the wheel that will break if moved to far one way and thay are costly, just trying to help Leny Mason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 02, 2014, 07:52:51 AM »
Thanks Leny. Good to know because the rack and old K member came out Friday night!
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 02, 2014, 08:52:47 PM »
OK well, even though I didn't think I would have much time this weekend to work on the car, I was able to accomplish a bit.  First on Friday night, I was able to pull the stock K member.  Everything (no matter how small) is a monumental task when you are doing it yourself......  If I only have 1 more set of hands. 

Then Sunday night, we got back into town and I thought I would do a little more.  But you know how it is....  once your in the garage, you want to do a little, then a little more and before you know it you have been in there for like 5 hours!  I was able to get the AJE tubular K member hoisted into position and bolt it down.  This K member is designed specifically for the 2005 Mustang Chassis, so it becomes a matter of swapping over all of your old suspension parts from the old K member to the new one.  Once I had the new K member installed, It was on to removing the lover A arms from the stock unit, unbolting the Rack and pinion, and swapping over the hubs.  If I wasn't going it by my lonesome, I would have just unbolted it all as one unit and hoisted it up onto the new K member, but no such luck.  So I hade to unbolt each piece and reinstall back into its correct location.  But before I got started, I thought met me take this time to clean off the coil overs since they are installed at the Saleen Factory and are really nice units.  The springs are a hot red color and the N2 shocks are yellow.  You wouldn't know this since they were an off color of gray from being driven around....  So after a little brake cleaner and some elbow grease... I got them looking quasi-new.  Then I saw that Saleen also installed a front sway bar at their facility (same hot red color), so while I was able to access it, I unbolted it, gave it a good scrub down, and reinstalled.  With suspension clean and shiny, It was a matter of re-bolting everything back in where it came from.  Interesting thing is the AJE K member comes with its own hardware.  While installing the stock Lower A arms, the bolts that came with the new K member did not fit.  they had a non threaded portion of the bolt that when snugged down, would not allow the bolt to holt the part.  I found this odd since it was designed for this car.  So I just swapped their hardware for the OEM bolts that held it onto the stock K Member.....  Worked perfectly!  Long story short, it was just a matter of rebolting on the brakes and rotors, reinstalling the coil overs, reinstalling the ABS sensors and tightening everything down.  Last item for the night was the rack and pinion.  Taking Leny's advice, I did not want to move the wheel much from where it was located when the uninstall happened.  For this I called in the wife!.  The rack and pinion need to be installed into its mounting brackets at the same time the steering shaft is reconnected.  Its sort of one fluid motion at an angle to get them to go together at the same time.  So I asked my lovely assistant to holt the steering wheel still so that it would not more at all, and I hoisted the rack into position.  As soon as the steering shaft touched the rack, it was clear it did not align. So as to hot break anything, I asked her to slightly rock the steering wheel only about 1 inch in each direction as I continued to push the rack into place.  This worked perfectly.  I then turned the hubs so the wheels would be pointing straight when installed and the steering wheel was exactly straight up and down......  Success.  Then it was a matter of going back over each mounting point and making sure everything was tightened.  Put on the wheels and dropped her back down to sit on her new suspension.  NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS!!!  I am completely finished with anything I need to do to prep for the Cammer install.  I am just awaiting the Aluminum crank spacer that Jay is machining out for me and the engine will be put into the car.  Honestly at this point I am relieved and at the same time excited!!!  I cannot wait to see that engine sitting in that car!!!!! So now I wait for Mr. Brown's handy work while I peek into the garage each night and giggle like a small school girl.

On a side note, there is a Lady that live 2 doors down from me.  When we first moved in, she saw an old 36 Ford in my driveway and came over with her wife to introduce herself.  She was telling me all about her Baby (a 2012 dodge Challenger - blue with white racing stripes) which is her pride and joy.  Each weekend she has a rolling cart with detailing products and she goes to town detailing that car for at least 3 hours every Saturday.  I don't think she has seen the Saleen since shortly after purchasing it, it was disassembled for this transformation and has been loced in the garage ever since, but I am sure we will be competing for attention throughout the neighborhood before the new year!

Below is a picture of the old stock K member after I had taken off all of the suspension parts, as well as a photo of the car sitting back on all "4's" with the new K Member installed.  Lots of extra room!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:59:13 PM by cobracammer »
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 04, 2014, 11:23:08 PM »
Hi what is the k member made for,  is it a performance part, or made for a FE transplant ,glad the rack went in good I just had a customer come in with a clockspring broke, $ 380.00 for the spring only if he would of known.

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 05, 2014, 10:06:58 AM »
Hey Lenny,

Thanks a lot for the heads up on that.  I am def. tired of spending $$ at this point.  The K member (I am told) is a performance piece.  Its an AJE K member.  It is a direct replacement for a 2005 Mustang GT, but comes with a whole variety of Motor mounts that will allow you to put different engines in the car.  I need to adjust my Ford Big Block FE motor mounts a tiny bit to get them to work with a "Side Oiler", but it seems to be a really nice piece.  I only found out about it because of the article written about the guy who shoehorned a 427 SOHC into a mustang GT.  They used the same cross member.

Purchased the lift straps today from Speedway motors as well as a load leveler for the cherry picker.  One of the last little bits to do after the pulleys are buttoned up is the slave cylinder.

After speaking with the builder of the other 427 SOHC GT, he said the one thing that tripped him up was the spacing of the slave cylinder.  Since I am using the one from the old trans, and for the fact that a bell housing spacer was made so that the input shaft would be the correct length to work in a Ford FE, there has to be shims placed behind the cylinder to ensure proper depth.  Luckily enough, they do sell spacers for a Tremec T56XL, but unfortunately they are $20.00 for 0.125" LOL  I won't know how many shims I will need until I am ready to bolt up the trans to the block.  Hopefully there wont be that many needed.

I will feel a TON better when the engine fires and there are no water/oil leaks.... and none of my parts decide to take off out of the block.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:30:48 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 05, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »
Forgot to mention also that I picked up a high Pressure fitting as well as an adapter fitting for the power steering.  I will need to cut the end off of the high pressure hose in the Saleen and crimp on the fitting and the adapter.

Adapter to screw into the 1963 Ford FE power steering pump is 5/8" inverted flare to a AN6 fitting.  Then the Power steering crimp on fitting will accept AN6....  Hopefully this will do the trick.
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 08, 2014, 06:09:42 PM »
Well, just a quick update this weekend. Wanted to get the rear cam plug installed now that the lift straps. After i got that in, i got it into the car, got one motor mount bolt in, but the other is not in yet. The hole isnt aligned perfect, so will need help with that. Either way, here is a photo. Couldnt stop laughing at the sight of it:
Jason

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #369 on: November 08, 2014, 11:35:58 PM »
That is badass LOL!  You will surprise some folks with that...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 10, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »
That is badass LOL!  You will surprise some folks with that...

I don't see what the big deal is. The original engine was an SOHC also ;D ;D

Seriously though, that is badass! Seeing that thing when you open the hood sends the cool meter off the scale. This is better than watching some reality show on TV...lol
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 10, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »
LOl  Thanks Doug and Jay.  Yea, I think the coolest thing for me is I went from Changing my own oil..... to this project.  LOL  I figured out that I just needed to loosen both Motor mounts from the block a little and then the mount holes lined up with the K member.  Slid the bolts through and tightened the mounting pads back to the block.  Sitting in the engine bay all by itself now!

Now with that being said, I have decided to take it back out.  I know..... a glutten for punishment right?  After I got it in there, I started thinking about the alternator bracket.  I purchased one on ebay that is supposed to be for a 427 SOHC (re-pop), but with the large 200 AMP alternator, it doest give it enough swing to tighten a belt (I wouldn't think).  I do have a stock bracket that I am going to cut and weld onto the cammer one to give me a little more swing for tightening.  I know deep down if I rush, I will regret it.  Also, while I have it out, I am going to install the Pilot bushing, Flywheel and Clutch assembly as well.  I will install the bellhousing after its remouonted and then I can measure for the shims I know I will need behind the slave cylinder.

Also, although its a minute problem, it bothers me.... The Passenger side breather tube butts so closely up against the Saleen's Fuse box, that the breather cap wont fit.  I am thinking I will trim the breather tube (making sure its above the baffle with enough room got the caps prongs, so that it fits nice as well.

Feeling good though.  I had a concern with the Oil pan (rear sump) clearing the Power rack on the AJE tubular K member, but I have about 1 inch of clearance where the lines run.  Honestly, it looks FREAKING awesome.  Maybe when Jay is done with Clear valve covers, I can ask him to make a clear hood for the Saleen?  HAHAHAHA  Would be awesome to have that view while driving down the road  LOL.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:58:53 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

Dave427SOHC

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 10, 2014, 09:37:17 PM »
Is the stock hood going to fit??

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 11, 2014, 11:25:08 AM »
Stock hood should fit nicely.  Saleen hoods are quite beefy (almost cowl like), so there is plenty of room.  :0)  Ill catch a break anywhere I can   ;D
Jason

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 11, 2014, 11:38:02 AM »
Just stop the project now.... put some red velvet ropes around the car and some nice lighting, walaa... best money you ever spent :P

Lemme call my broker, I need to buy some stock in MT tire