Author Topic: 545" High Riser Build  (Read 185078 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: 545" High Riser Build
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2011, 11:45:11 AM »
You probably wouldn't be so inspired if you saw all the mistakes I made along the way LOL!  For example, in the valve cover rail I missed a tool change operation and started drilling one of the bolt holes with a 1/2" end mill.  You can see that in the photos.  At least that one's an easy fix, and I changed the program to fix it there too.  I am actually somewhat inspired by the CAM software; sure would make life a lot easier...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2011, 12:02:55 PM »
 8) Very nice job Jay! Wow!!! You have been busy... getting any sleep?

I see several changes you have made here and there, and all for the better, a few things that I hadn't thought of too, LOL. I really like the way it turned out.

Any chance you could post a picture from the side/end of the head, and also the back of the port plate where it bolts to the head? This whole thing is sure interesting to me.

One other question I wanted to ask... what camera are you using? Very clear/sharp/detailed pictures. flash? resolution? Keep em coming!  ;D

68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »
Sorry for the delay in my response, Thor, I've been tied up with several other things, plus getting the second port plate machined.  Here are some of the photos you asked for, including the side of the port plate, the back of it where it bolts to the head, and a shot of the engine with both port plates installed:

The 'ol FE kinda looks like a Lima motor with those plates on there  :D

On Monday this week I got my new offset T&D rockers.  T&D was just great about this; I sent them my old rockers, which I've had for five years, and they swapped me even up for a set of the offset ones!  Mine weren't used or anything, but still, after five years it was awfully nice of them to do that.  I got the second port plate bolted onto the left head tonight and decided to mock up the valvetrain.  I was very pleased to see that my clearance problems are gone, as expected:

Thank-you very much for mentioning the availability of these offset rockers from T&D.  If you hadn't told me about them, I'd have probably stuck with the ones I had, and put a bulge in the port, which obviously would not be as desirable as the setup is now.

Lastly, you had asked about my camera.  It is an Olympus SP-550UZ.  Nothing special really, cost about $500, has some neat features such as the ability to change a picture from color to black and white, plus an auto-focus correction for camera shudder.  I think nearly all new cameras in this price range have these features.  I used mine to take all the pictures in my book, too.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2011, 10:44:38 PM »
No problem Jay, I know how it is, I've been busy too! I have to say you really have done a fine job, those plates look super! There are very few people who have the skill, knowledge, and resources to pull that off. The back side almost looks to cool to hide once bolted down.... The valve cover rail on the plates is still higher than the head rail, do you have to mill the final angle on that, or are you going to keep that height for the ports and run a spacer of sorts on the head to bring it up to height?

I sure enjoy reading your updates on this build and seeing the pictures etc. I can't wait to see the valley tray and of course the billet runner tunnel ram top you have planned.

I am happy that I could help you out on the rockers, also very impressed with T&D as a company... for swapping the rockers out, straight across. That must have been a shock, I bet you were saying "happy birthday to me"! I had a similar experience with Jerico, they swapped me out a input shaft and bearing retainer, from Chevy parts to a Ford on a transmission I bought from a racer, straight across even though they had been installed in the transmission (they were new un-used parts). Saved me about $400. Most companies would just say "sell your stuff on EBAY, we don't do trade ins or swap parts, you have to buy the parts needed from us".

68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2011, 11:37:49 PM »
On the valve cover rail I'm going to build a spacer to get the rails to match up; I machined the plates so that a 3/8" spacer will fit. On the runners my plan is not to do billet runners; I've already built a fixture to press them out of 5052 1/8" sheet, so I'm going to go ahead with that.  I think I'll machine a plate like Mario suggested, with some extensions that will meet up with the sheet metal runners to make the welding easier.  Then I'll just go into a normal sheet metal plenum.

I thought about machining the upper out of a couple of billet pieces of aluminum.  This would give almost infinite cool factor, but it would be heavy, and the cost of the billets would be pretty high.  Plus the time required for programming and machining would be pretty significant.  So I'm going more or less conventional on the upper portion of the intake.
Jay Brown

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 12:59:41 AM »
Jay, you might not see it from your own point of view, but as is usual with what you do, there's ALREADY ultimate cool factor!

KS

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »
T&D has always been a very good company to work with - and I normally use an .080 offset/.250 offset rocker combination on high riser heads.  Glad to see that Thor got it covered for you.  I have also gone with the .904 offset lifters on serious ones to straighten things.

I've done a MR intake on high riser heads and it's do-able with a fair amount of butchery.  Never tried the other direction though.  There are a lot more MR cast intake options - hence the effort.

I've seen some really odd behavior from the same cam in very different engines in terms of both power and peak RPM.  I've kinda given up on predictions to a point and rely on the "stab it & see" method.  Intuitively you are right in needing a bigger duration stick.  Directionally it seems that my Edelbrock headed motors need more duration than my BT headed ones to get the peaks at a comparable RPM - has to relate to flow potential at different points in the curve more so than just the peak flow that everybody fixates upon.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2011, 10:55:16 PM »
I continued to make progress this week on the high riser, with more CNC work on the intake manifold setup.  I had a few setbacks but they were CNC machine related.  First, earlier this week the coolant pump suddenly stopped working.  This happened while I was around the corner from the machine, working on something else, and by the time I head the tool start making screeching noises it was too late to save the end mill in the machine at the time, or the valve cover rail spacer that I was machining.  I got up and running again by picking up a sump pump from Menards and Mickey-mousing the thing together so that I had coolant again, but this basically took out a couple evenings this week.  My replacement coolant pump has now arrived, so sometime over the weekend I'm going to have to install it. 

Then, today when I was machining the valley cover plate for the intake, the machine suddenly stopped, flashing an 'X-axis error' on the computer screen.  Wisps of smoke started coming from under the table, and I quickly shut the machine off.  After getting everything cleared away so I could see what was going on, I found a broken conduit and a broken wire.  The wiring that goes to the servo motor and encoder on the X-axis runs inside a flexible conduit.  This conduit had broken about 6" under the table, and the ends had separated, exposing the wires.  One of the wires had been cut, probably by the sharp end of the conduit.  Once I figured this out, it was a simple matter of reconnecting the wire by soldering a short piece in, and then wrapping the whole thing up in electrical tape to protect the wire bundle from the broken edges of the conduit.  Then I used a piece of heater hose, sliced down the length, to cover up the break in the flexible conduit, and duct taped over the whole thing.  This is admittedly another Mickey Mouse repair; I really should take the whole thing apart and put a brand new piece of conduit it.  But I have no idea how much work that would be; the wires disappear into the servo motor box and I don't know if they would be easily disconnected, or what other problems I may run into trying to do this.  So, I'm going to live with the repair I've made for now.

I burned up three hours on that repair, but finally got the remaining work on the manifold base completed.  Here's a picture of the valley cover plate being drilled for the holes to bolt it to the port plates.  This is also prior to any of the "dress-up" machining that I did on the plate:

Here are some photos showing the manifold end rails, the valve cover spacers, and the completed valley cover plate:

I really like the way the valley cover plate turned out.  I machined the fins in the plate with a 1/8" 10 degree taper end mill, and spaced them so that they are the same as the fins on the valve cover.  The covers look nice polished, so I'm thinking about getting the valley cover plate polished too.  The Ford logo came to me courtesy of a local friend who owns and operates a tool and die shop.  He sent me the G-code, and I just had to make a couple of minor code modifications to make it run on my machine.  The logo is .010" deep, and was cut with a 1/16" ball end mill.  I practiced on a couple of scrap pieces before I did this, and managed to break one of those tiny little mills before I got the feeds and speeds right.  But in the end it turned out really nicely, and I think it will add a lot to the engine's appearance, especially since there is no distributor to get in the way of the view of the logo.

Next up is starting to machine the upper portion of the intake, but before I do that I have a couple of programs that Mario sent me to try out on the SOHC rocker arm project.  Hopefully I'll post some successful photos of that project tomorrow night.

Jay Brown

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2011, 10:12:57 AM »
Now that looks frikken cool Jay! Nice work.

So, are you going to eventually make & sell  a variant of the new JBE (Jay Brown Engineering) FE Ford
intake adapter?

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:18:27 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2011, 10:57:41 AM »
I guess I hadn't really thought about that.  I have been giving some consideration to doing a PSE style intake adapter for MR and LR engines, but my initial thoughts on that would be to cast the base like PSE did, and then machine it from there.  I suppose I could also just machine it.  Hmmmm....

For the high riser stuff I think it would probably be a rather limited market, so maybe offering a machined  version would be OK.  But to be honest I'm so busy getting these three engines together that I don't have time to think about building similar products to market at this point.  Maybe this summer sometime.
Jay Brown

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2011, 11:42:34 AM »
Awesome Jay
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »
Impressive looking work as usual! Later, Travis

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2011, 09:52:31 AM »
Thumbs up from the Left Coast!  ;D

Nice Ford logo too ...
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2011, 08:32:36 PM »
 8) Very nice! Great job (as always) on the valley tray, I really like how you engineered it and it came out way better than what I had thought up in my mind (I was still thinking about a 45* angle on the sides). The straight down bolt together deal on the tray and the steps on the china wall spacers.... it all comes together very nice and well thought out.

The fins and FORD logo really add to the tray. The whole thing looks super! If it were me I would polish the tops of the fins only... and leave all the machine tool paths, remainder as is, etc.

I guess we can call this an "extra" high riser? Wow! Ports are up so high you need a valve cover spacer even on a high riser. It just keeps getting better and better.