Author Topic: A few old school builds....  (Read 34427 times)

BruceS

• View Profile
Re: A few old school builds....
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 09:57:25 PM »
Only One of the reasons for my love of FE's!
Mario's '67 Daytona 500 winning Fairlane...

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Bselby1/media/image_zps4e7736c4.jpg.html

66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 12:49:15 AM »

4.  Lastly is an old 352 that I'm doing for myself.  I bought a complete running core from James Hunter, a forum member in WV.  Believe it or not, I'm going to dyno this puppy as it sits with all the factory parts on it.  Past that, I'm going to keep a tight lip....I've got some big plans for it using the factory stroke, C6AE-R heads, and some other goodies. 

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC
[/quote]

Interesting builds Brent!

I too am very curious to see what the 352 does. My dad bought a new 1966 F100 in october 1965 with a 352, 3spd on the column with a 4.11  Ran really well.

I currently have 2 Running '66 Trucks with 352's & 3 More 352's under the bench. One of those had never had a bolt turned on it ran unbelievably well. Because it ran so well tore it down to see what it was made of so to say. Found out during teardown it had never been apart. With exception of the timing chain looked like it had very few miles. Plan on rebuilding it back to stock.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2013, 04:42:38 AM »

Autograph day in Dartmouth NS ;D

bobford

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 10:10:22 PM »
 I love FE's the last Nascrap race I went to was in 67 the old road course at Mid-america in MO. standing in the  woods in the infield  and 30+ 426and427 powered race cares roared up the hill toward me
 I was in heaven,Mario had 2 67 farlanes at the race I can still close my eyes and hear them!
That pict bring back memories!

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »
I'm dyno'ing two FE's on the 22nd.  A 487 with Pond heads, a Victor intake, and a solid roller cam.......and my little 352.  I don't know which one I'm looking forward to the most...ROFL  I just hope the 352 doesn't pee all over the dyno room.  :)
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »
Brent (or anyone else),

any chance you weighed the Pond iron block? Just curious.... also I have never seen the block with the caps off, and/or the underside of the caps. I heard that they have dowel pins on the parting line. Is that true? Any more pictures of the block you can share?

Also, since you have assembled lots of different aftermarket blocks, maybe you can share some details as far as features and differences among them? Kind of a "cheat sheet" on pro's and cons of each, how they "stack up" against each other?

I am familiar with the Genesis block as well as OEM, having assembled several, just never had my hands on a Pond or Shelby. Now with the Side-oiler Garage and Bear coming on line... looks like we have several choices. Myself, I am still playing with my OEM center-oiler, but for how long who knows. I would like to "edumacate" myself for the future... I am sure others would like to know key features as well.

Thanks.

P.S. how nasty of a cam in the 487 and what are you hoping to get HP wise, target use for the engine?
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »
I'm hoping to make it up to Barrys to pick up my Sideoiler Garage block yet this week. I was going to do a comparison post with one of my spare OEM sideoiler blocks. From everything I've heard, they should be a good improvement over the Genesis blocks and the issues they had. Not insinuating they weren't good blocks, just needed some corrective work.

We shall see.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2013, 07:23:20 PM »
I didn't weigh the Pond iron block, but I'll say that it's one of the heaviest blocks I've ever picked up....or helped pick up.  My guess is that it weighs about 250 lbs.  It's a chunk.  They are made pretty much exactly like the aluminum Pond blocks, doweled mains, etc.   The main caps have a threaded hole in the top and I use a little slide hammer to get them off when I need to.  The iron block will go to a 4.400" bore.  Not too shabby.

I've never touched a Shelby block, just OEM stuff and Pond stuff.   I was a distributor for Genesis, but I got in right around the time people started complaining of the porosity issues and the time it took to have the issues fixed.  I was gun shy.

I'm pretty fond of the Pond blocks, especially for what you get for the price for an aluminum block.  The aluminum blocks are really light, I can pick them up with the caps on them and pack them around wherever I need to.   

They come needing all machine work, but that's kinda par for the course.  I don't know of any aftermarket blocks that don't need touched in almost every facet.  My plan of attack is to usually check the plug behind the distributor, and they usually need tapped deeper.  I pop the cam bearings in with some green Loctite, using Durabond bearings.  The casting behind the front cam bearing needs clearanced for the distributor gear, and depending on which bearing you use, it will need clearanced too.  The oil pump hole needs a little work, so that usually gets a little die grinder work.   I also tap the dipstick hole for a plug. 

The block gets torque plates put on, and then stuck in a hot jet wash cabinet to seat the sleeves.  It's then bored and honed with torque plates, align honed, and then square decked.  The lifter bores are reamed and honed to fit the lifters. 

There are two things that stick out in my mind that I don't like....one is the rear "side oiler" galley plug is an o-ringed AN plug.  Sometimes I have a hard time getting them to seal up.  The other is that the holes that hold the oil filter adapter on seem to be pretty shallow and when I use a billet oil filter adapter that needs a socket head bolt, it seems like a 3/4" is almost too short, and a 7/8" is too long. 

That was the Cliffs notes version I suppose.

The 487 is going to be pretty fun.  The heads do pretty good for a mildly ported Pond head:

Intake

.300  221
.400  279
.500  323
.600  331
.700 344
.800 354

Exhaust

.300 179
.400 230
.500 254
.600 266
.700 270

The cam is a Bullet solid roller, 263/268, 110 LSA, with .700" gross lift.  Not too wild, not too mild.   It's got a Victor intake, ported by Joe Craine, and I got a free Holley Ultra HP 950 to try on it.  T&D rockers, MSD, Aviaid pan, blah, blah, blah.

I expect on the Stuska dyno that I use, it will be somewhere around the 640-650 hp range.  We've done a comparison between it and a neighboring Super Flow, and there has been around a 40 hp difference on an engine of this caliber.

It's going in a Shelby Cobra replica....pretty much 70-80% of my engines go in them. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2013, 06:26:41 PM »

What the heck was Mario Andretti doing in Dartmouth NS on a perfect summer day?
Michael

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2013, 09:31:54 PM »
Thanks for the info Brent. I appreciate it.

I found out the hard way on the wide Pond cam bearing clearance problem on the first Genesis block I assembled awhile back. The short block was done and pan and front cover were on, heads were on,etc. and as I was installing the intake, dropped the distributor in to center the intake... nope, wasn't going down. Gear on the distributor wouldn't clear the wide bearing. You know the rest of the story... cam had to come back out... then I made a tool to pull the bearing (versus trying to clearance it at that point... no way), I then re-installed a normal FE Dura-bond (performance) #1 cam bearing in its place (the only bearing that is basically a "normal" FE bearing... in the aftermarket blocks, all are modified #1 bearings, drilled for the side oiler passages etc. on 2 and 4 and correct drillings for 3 and 5... but all with the #1 OD diameter).

I won't make that mistake again!
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »

What the heck was Mario Andretti doing in Dartmouth NS on a perfect summer day?

Checking out my Lane. He was sitting in having a good look at it, even had the hood up. ;D
Me thinks he likes Fairlanes. ::)
He's a very nice guy. Very down to earth.

runthatjunk

• View Profile
Brent lynkins
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2013, 11:04:01 PM »
You posted

I'm pretty fond of the Pond blocks, especially for what you get for the price for an aluminum block.  The aluminum blocks are really light, I can pick them up with the caps on them and pack them around wherever I need to.   They come needing all machine work, but that's kinda par for the course.  I don't know of any aftermarket blocks that don't need touched in almost every facet.  My plan of attack is to usually check the plug behind the distributor, and they usually need tapped deeper.  I pop the cam bearings in with some green Loctite, using Durabond bearings.  The casting behind the front cam bearing needs clearanced for the distributor gear, and depending on which bearing you use, it will need clearanced too.  The oil pump hole needs a little work, so that usually gets a little die grinder work.   I also tap the dipstick hole for a plug.  

In regards to the cam bearings is the Loc-tite because its an aluminum block or do you do that as standard operating procedure
1965 390 Galaxie 4 Speed
1966 428 Thunderbird

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 04:57:28 AM »
I use it on all aluminum blocks. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

DEANs427

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2013, 12:02:28 PM »
The expansion rate of aluminum is higher than that of the cam bearing base metal. I found out the hard, expensive way
1956 Ford Gasser 427FE
1966 Fairlane
1966 Bronco supercharged

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »
Well, unfortunately, the 352 will not be dyno'd.  I picked it up today and in my mind it's more of a liability to the dyno room than anything else.   And since it's not my dyno, I would rather not be responsible.  :-)  The carb was completely full of trash and when I pulled a valve cover, the oil drains were completely full of sludge, as well as everything else under the valve cover....hahaha

With a 1/2" drive ratchet and socket on the balancer bolt, it took all of 2 fingers to turn her over....with the plugs in.  I can't imagine this thing would be a barn-burner fresh off the showroom floor, but especially not now. 

Was really wanting to have some play time with it, mainly just for curiosity's sake.  Just not a prudent decision at this point, so I'll pull it all apart when I get a free moment.  Just hope it's standard bore.  I can tell it's had gasket swaps, so who knows what I will find.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431