Author Topic: 1967 Fairlane Super Stock  (Read 109999 times)

GPR

• View Profile
    • Gillis Restorations
Re: 1967 Fairlane Super Stock
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 09:56:13 AM »
Brian installed a Crites spring relocation kit.

Brian made a couple of gussets

Epoxy primed and seam sealed the wheelhouse

Rusty Gillis

Former NHRA SS/FA & SS/GA National Record Holder

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
I would be adding some gussets to that spring perch ....

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 03:08:59 AM »
I would be adding some gussets to that spring perch ....

If you look closely, there is one thick looking gusset on the top of the offset part. Kind of deceiving in the picture....it looks like an extension of the frame.

Very nice work. The whole thread has been interesting.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

GPR

• View Profile
    • Gillis Restorations
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »
The CalTracs would not fit so we had to trim the bracket.

We put it on the ground and found out the other side was in a bind. Months went by then finally we took it apart and modified the frame rail.

This was inside the frame rail

Brian made a patch

I started out this was going to be a race car than I changed my mind and it was going to be a street car so I sprayed the bottom with SPI bedliner. Changed my mind again after talking to Steve Baur the editor of Modified Mustangs and Fords Magazine since he wanted to do a series of Drag Racing related stories. I will leave it on there it can't weight that much. Now it is time to paint the car so we can start putting it together.

Ready for another round of primer

Sprayed a couple of coats of SPI white epoxy to make the red pop.

After a lot of wet sanding sprayed 3 coats of SPI Red the next day 3 coats of SPI Universal clear.

Rusty Gillis

falcon428

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 06:13:09 PM »
Looks great, gotta love the rotisserie.  It's definitely one of those tools I wonder why I didn't buy one sooner.  Money well spent. 

Now I just need to find the time to work on mine, would like to get my 68 Falcon off the rotisserie soon. 

Now if I would get off this here interweb and get into the shop I might get something done.  LOL

My Labor Day will be spent working on the 68.  Need to find some parts and get car ready for chassis shop. 

Keep up the good work!

Rodney
'65 Mercury Comet w/ Pond Alum. 427, C6
'61 Ford Starliner w/ 352, C6
'68 Falcon w/ ProCharged FE, Lenco 5sp
'67 Country Sedan SW
'62 Falcon awaiting turbocoupe motor & tranny
'40 Ford Tudor Sedan all original

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 12:37:54 AM »
Really nice work, great to see all the pictures of the detail changes you made. 

I did very similar mods to my 66 Fairlane GT, moving the springs inboard and Calvert springs, bars, shocks.  Calvert made custom perches for me so my shocks mount on the body in the stock location.

One regret I had when I did mine was that I should have narrowed the frame rail at the back of the wheel house where the inside of the tire will rub.  I'm using 10" wheels with 10.5x30 tires, but could run taller/wider tires if the frame wasn't so close.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

GPR

• View Profile
    • Gillis Restorations
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »
I went with Opentracker roller front suspension http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/

I also installed their front strut rods

Wilwood brakes

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:53:27 PM by GPR »
Rusty Gillis

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »
These are the struts I have on my '66 Fairlane; I also used Total Control's variable rate coil springs.

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/strut.html.

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 12:30:38 AM »
A question on the inboard spring relocation that I have always wondered about. The offset rear shackles move the spring over approximately 2". The front relocation perch moves the spring over considerably more, maybe 3-4". Does this mean the springs sit at an angle?

GPR

• View Profile
    • Gillis Restorations
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 09:19:17 AM »
A question on the inboard spring relocation that I have always wondered about. The offset rear shackles move the spring over approximately 2". The front relocation perch moves the spring over considerably more, maybe 3-4". Does this mean the springs sit at an angle?

The frame rail is not that wide and the location is moved about 2 1/4" (hard to get an exact measurement on the ground) and the springs are straight. 
Rusty Gillis

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 12:24:55 PM »
You shoulda painted it RED!! ;)

KS

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 05:37:59 PM »

The frame rail is not that wide and the location is moved about 2 1/4" (hard to get an exact measurement on the ground) and the springs are straight.

Still not getting it. The spring is about 2" wide so putting it next to itself, ala rear hanger, moves it about 2". The frame rail at the front adds at least another 1-1/2". I must be missing something here.

GPR

• View Profile
    • Gillis Restorations
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 08:11:49 AM »

Still not getting it. The spring is about 2" wide so putting it next to itself, ala rear hanger, moves it about 2". The frame rail at the front adds at least another 1-1/2". I must be missing something here.

The stock spring is on the outside of the frame rail in the front and under it in the rear that is the difference. The frame rail is not straight from the front spring hanger to the rear shackle.
Rusty Gillis

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 08:22:33 PM »
Yeh I realise this. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand. To me it doesn't matter where the frame rail is. You are still moving the spring about 2" at the back and about 3-4" at the front. If you move the spring the same amount at the front as you move it at the back it would sit directly under the frame rail. Obviously you can't do this so it goes on the inside of the rail. I am saying it is the width of this frame rail that is the difference. I am not saying what you are doing is wrong or anything, I love looking at your work and love this thread. I just can't see how the spring can remain straight and it probably doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:27:24 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

GPR

• View Profile
    • Gillis Restorations
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »
You are NOT moving 3" or 4" in the front only the width of the frame rail or a little over 2". 
Rusty Gillis