Author Topic: FE Intake Adapters  (Read 104679 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
FE Intake Adapters
« on: August 11, 2013, 03:21:54 PM »
FE Intake Adapter Information: 

FE Intake adapters for low riser and medium riser engines are now available from stock.  FE Intake Adapters for high riser and tunnel port engines are also now available, but machined on an as needed basis; lead time for the high riser and tunnel port variants is 2-3 weeks.  In the case of the high riser intakes, many different variations are available, so contact us with your specific requirements.

Please visit the following links for further information or to purchase one of these intake adapters.  Payment can be made with Paypal, Visa or Mastercard, personal checks or money orders:

Low and Medium Riser heads:       http://www.fepower.net/Products/feiamr.html

High Riser heads:         http://www.fepower.net/Products/feiahr.html

Tunnel Port heads:         http://www.fepower.net/Products/feiatp.html

More information on the intake adapters is given below:

- Price:  By way of explanation, there are two separate castings that are used to make the different versions of the intake adapter, the medium riser casting and the high riser casting.  The high riser casting is heavier and more expensive. 

The standard medium riser adapters use the medium riser casting; the price for any of these adapters
         (part numbers 13000 through 13099) is $569.00

The high riser casting is used for the later Blue Thunder medium riser heads, and also for all the high riser variants; price for any of these
         adapters (part numbers 13100 through 13199) is $689.00.  If you are purchasing the #13101 high riser manifold that allows the use of a 351C
         intake manifold, you will also require the #13201 port plates; these are machined together with the intake adapter to make the 351C intake
         fit.  Price of the port plates is $125.00, in addition to the price of the intake adapter, for a total cost of $814.00.  If you just want one of the high
         riser castings to use as a base for a sheet metal intake, the port plates are not required.

Pricing for the tunnel port version of the adapter is $779.00; the tunnel port version starts with the high riser casting, and
         is more expensive than the high riser version because of the added  cost of adding the tubes in the tunnel port adapters.  Also, the
         tunnel port adapters are only available with straight-through ports; after looking at trying to make a 351C intake work with the TP port
         location, it just doesn't look practical without a major bend in the ports.  So the tunnel port adapter would be useful for building a sheet
         metal intake manifold, or possibly for adapting a Pontiac Ram Air V intake to  the FE tunnel port engine.

All these intake adapters include the machined manifold casting, the large machined access cover plate, the smaller machined road draft tube cover plate, O-rings to fit both of these removable plates, the water bypass nipple, and 6 allen head bolts required to install the intake adapter. 

- Terms:   Payment can be made via Paypal, Visa or Mastercard, money order, or personal checks drawn on US banks.  If you send a personal check we will hold the intake adapter for 7 business days prior to shipment.  We ship to US destinations via UPS, and international destinations via the US Postal Service.  If you are outside the US, you are responsible for any duties and taxes due when the intake adapter enters your country.

- Delivery:  The intake adapters will be shipped within 3 days of receiving payment via Paypal or money order, and within 7 days of receiving payment via personal check.  Shipping charges are figured individually for shipment via UPS in the United States, and via USPS for international destinations.

- Returns or Refunds:  We will do our best to ensure the quality of these parts, and work with anyone who is not satisfied or unhappy with this purchase to attempt to rectify the situation.  However, because of the small percentage of people who abuse return and refund policies, FE Power LLC sells these parts AS IS, with no warranty regarding fit and finish, and no returns or refunds available.

- Options:  There are several part numbers of the intake adapters available; see the description and photos below. 

Part #13001 adapts the standard 351C 4V intake to the FE. 

Part #13002 has the FE ports coming straight out (rather than curving in to fit the 351C intake), so that a custom intake manifold like a sheet metal intake can be made starting with this intake adapter.

Part #13003 has a starter hole only machined in each port location, for anyone who wants to do their own porting work on the manifolds. 

Part #13004 is the same as #13003, except that there are no machined port openings in this adapter.

Part #13006 is for a Yates style 351C intake, like the Edelbrock 2991 or 2863.

Part #13101 is the standard part for high riser intakes.  Please note that in order to make a 351C intake manifold work with the high
      riser adapters, a 3/4" spacer plate is required (described below).

Part #13103 is for the later Blue Thunder Medium Riser cylinder heads and a standard 351C 4V intake.

Part #13180 is the standard part for the tunnel port intakes. 

For part numbers 13002 through 13004 above FE Power also has available, for $125.00, a pair of 1/2" thick aluminum flanges that bolt to the manifold, and can be used as the starting point for a sheet metal intake.  These flanges seal to the intake adapter with O-rings that are included with the plates.

For the intake adapters designed for use on high riser heads, such as part #13101, a 3/4" spacer plate is available for $125.00/pair that will allow a 351C 4V intake manifold such as an Edelbrock Torker or a Weiand tunnel ram to bolt onto the intake adapter.  These spacer plates are also available with no ports machined, for use as the starting point for a sheet metal intake.  The plates seal to the intake adapter with O-rings that are included with the plates.

For the intake adapters designed for use on the tunnel port heads (part #13180), 3/4" spacer plates are also available for $125.00/pair, for use as a starting point for a sheet metal intake.  These spacer plates have the round tunnel port ports that match up to the intake adapter already machined, and seal to the intake adapter with O-rings.

IMPORTANT - Every 351C intake that we have looked at requires some modification in order to be used with the intake adapter.  The front rail of the 351C intake needs to be cut away so that it doesn't interfere with the water jacket on the intake adapter.  This can be done with a hacksaw and/or a die grinder, or you can ship your manifold to FE Power and we will machine it to fit.  We charge $85 per manifold for this service.  Currently we have programs in place for the 351C Performer RPM, the Edelbrock Torker, and the Weiand tunnel ram.  If you have a different manifold that you want to use, we will be happy to develop the programs to modify it but this will add some time to the process.  Needless to say, modifying a 351C intake manifold to work with this intake adapter will make the manifold unusable on a 351C engine.

Also, the Yates style manifolds must have their flange surfaces machined thinner in order to work with the #13006 intake adapter.  Again we offer this service for $85.00.

Finally, if you have any special options that you would like for your intake adapter, such as a change in pushrod hole size or location, or no pushrod holes at all, we will be happy to try to accommodate your request; email us to discuss.

Please feel free to email us with any questions on these adapters, or post them here if you prefer.  You can contact us via email at jayb@fepower.net

The photos below show the #13001 intake adapter.  The adapter shown in these photos has not yet had the thermostat housing holes or water pump bypass tube hole drilled and tapped, and also does not show the center cover plate and road draft tube cover plate:

The photo below shows the 13003 intake, which is delivered with machined starter port openings:

The photos below show the 13002 intake, which is delivered with FE sized ports coming straight out of the adapter.  The second photo shows the manifold from the side, so you can see the port configuration.  The third photo shows the 13002 intake with the port plates installed.  These plates are available as an extra cost ($125.00) option for this adapter, as a starting point for a sheet metal intake.  The fourth photo shows the plates themselves; on the side of the plate that bolts to the adapter, there are O-rings to seal the ports, so that no gasket is required.  The O-ring grooves are spaced farther away from the inboard side and top of each port, to allow plenty of room for porting.

The photos below show the 13004 intake adapter.  This adapter is delivered with no port openings whatsoever; it is basically a blank canvas for port work.

The photos below show the 13103 intake adapter.  This adapter starts with the high riser casting, and is designed to work with the later style Blue Thunder medium riser heads.  These heads have larger port openings than a standard medium riser head, with the roof of the port raised and the port widened.  The high riser casting is used to make this intake adapter, because the standard medium riser casting does not have enough room above the Blue Thunder ports for a good seal to the intake gasket.  Also, due to the width of the port in the Blue Thunder head, the intake pushrod holes are moved towards the center of the engine by 0.250" on these adapters.  Note that for these adapters some porting work in the roof and the floor of the port will be required for best flow.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 09:39:11 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

NewFalconOwner

Re: FE Intake Adapters
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »
are you also including the cut line template/info for the C intake to fit the adapter?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:14:53 PM »
Hmmmm, I hadn't thought about that.  I have to write a basic instruction sheet for the manifolds before I start delivering them; I will be sure to include the template that you suggested in the instruction sheet.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:34:04 PM »
Jay, after having tons of problems with email accounts through my ISP (hacked, simply quit working twice etc.), I basically gave up on it. And since I very rarely used it in the first place I haven't bothered setting up any email account any other way. However, I would like to be added to your list for wanting one of these. I will set up an email account through one of the web based suppliers and get in touch if that is ok, but in the meantime, please consider me on that list.

I'm sorry if this is not considered good protocol for business dealings on the forum, I just don't want to miss out. I can send payment immediately upon confirmation.

edit: Even though it took an email to join this forum, for the third time I have been unable to access it since joining. So until I get another account going, I consider it a dead address. Even they can't figure out why I'm having these problems ???
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:37:59 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

falcon428

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:37:40 PM »
Email sent for 2
'65 Mercury Comet w/ Pond Alum. 427, C6
'61 Ford Starliner w/ 352, C6
'68 Falcon w/ ProCharged FE, Lenco 5sp
'67 Country Sedan SW
'62 Falcon awaiting turbocoupe motor & tranny
'40 Ford Tudor Sedan all original

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »
Jay, after having tons of problems with email accounts through my ISP (hacked, simply quit working twice etc.), I basically gave up on it. And since I very rarely used it in the first place I haven't bothered setting up any email account any other way. However, I would like to be added to your list for wanting one of these. I will set up an email account through one of the web based suppliers and get in touch if that is ok, but in the meantime, please consider me on that list.

I'm sorry if this is not considered good protocol for business dealings on the forum, I just don't want to miss out. I can send payment immediately upon confirmation.

edit: Even though it took an email to join this forum, for the third time I have been unable to access it since joining. So until I get another account going, I consider it a dead address. Even they can't figure out why I'm having these problems ???

No problem Doug, if email won't work then you can send me a PM through the forum or just post here in this topic.  I will send you a PM with some details - Jay
Jay Brown

coops427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 07:10:41 PM »
Jay, As you make your list would it be possible to post it on the forum so we can see where we are? garry

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 08:34:47 PM »
I really don't want to do that Garry because  I'm not sure that everyone on the list wants their name published.  But when I put someone on the list I will email them with their number, and as I start delivering the manifolds I will post which numbers have been delivered so that everyone on the list knows how far along the deliveries are.  Hope that helps - Jay
Jay Brown

Joe-jdc

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 10:20:51 PM »
I have seen these first few adapters in person, and the material looks very dense and non porous.  The casting is excellent, and I think anyone who wants one of these should get on the list asap.  The machine work is beautiful, and I think Jay is underpricing the unit by a considerable amount.  They are destined to be collectibles!  If you like bling, this adapter can be the foundation of a really neat looking engine combination that you can be proud of at any car event.  No, Jay didn't give me a discount! LOL, I just think what I saw in his shop is going to be a very good starting point for some killer engine combinations.  Joe-JDC.

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 12:16:26 AM »
I think Jay did a great job....The casting looks great and so does the machining.I am a very anal machine fitter by trade and I like everything about this pc....The O-rings are a nice touch as is the serial number.It will look very nice on my 427 and I will be cutting all the excess off the 351 manifold to make it lighter and show the adaptor off

I look forward to getting mine.I have ordered two but I want a spare "just because"..

Hopefully when I get it I will be back in work mode..I am still re-habbing from my accident....

Cory
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 08:16:34 AM »
Great looking piece Jay. My question concerns the HR-TP pieces, maybe Mr. Joe D Craine can help answer this. Is there really an improvement or advantage by using a 351C intake on a HR or TP? I can see where it'd be a great piece for a custom steel intake, but I question whether the 351C will flow better. Not knowing much about 351Cs, but using one on a TP looks like there'd be some interference issues with the intake mounting bolts being 'infringed upon' by the wider TP port. Have you had a chance to test the HR-TP intakes? Thanks for all your hard work, Rod.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 09:02:25 AM »
Thanks Rod, glad you like it.  For the tunnel port version of this adapter, I am not envisioning using the 351C intakes.  I think that the port configurations are too far apart between the tunnel port heads and the 351C heads to make that workable.  What I am planning on doing is offering the tunnel port base with some plates that can be used as a starting point for a sheet metal intake.  Perhaps in the future I may do a tunnel port specific top for the tunnel port intake adapter; that would depend on the interest level in something like that.

For the high riser, the 351C intakes do make sense, and actually the ones that really make sense are the Yates style intakes for raised port 351C heads.  Those would be a natural for a raised port FE engine.  So I will be focusing on those intakes with respect to the high riser version, although I also plan to make a high riser version available with plates for a sheet metal intake.

The other use for a high riser or tunnel port version of this intake is with Edelbrock Pro-Port heads.  There are plenty of serious engine builders out there who raise the ports on those heads and configure them differently than stock FE ports.  In this case I could offer the adapter with no ports at all, and those guys could put whatever ports they want in them.  My pal Blair Patrick has expressed an interest in the adapters with that configuration.
Jay Brown

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »
Thanks Jay, sheetmetal intakes are outside my realm or goals, since the bling-factor would detract a skosh in my case,  ;). For those looking to buy Barry's new heads how does the adapter line up to his ports? You've found a quality foundry, just by looking at the photos, the density seems spot-on, Rod.

Joe-jdc

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 02:14:33 PM »
Barry's ports are very similiar to the Keith Craft Stage II port size and location.  A MR Edelbrock with the ports widened somewhat, or Pond heads that Keith has CNC'd, are all within a very few thousandths of each other.  A simple blending of the adapter to the head would be easy for any engine builder that has access to a die grinder and a carbide.  I hesitate to say it would be easy to blend from the cleveland port size to the Survival head, since it is large as cast, and the cleveland intake port is large also.  Might want to put them under a few cubic inches for best results.  JMO, Joe-JDC.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 07:31:20 PM »
Thanks Jay, sheetmetal intakes are outside my realm or goals, since the bling-factor would detract a skosh in my case,  ;). For those looking to buy Barry's new heads how does the adapter line up to his ports? You've found a quality foundry, just by looking at the photos, the density seems spot-on, Rod.

I think as Joe says the adapter should line right up with Barry's ports, with just a little bit of blending.  But I haven't got a set of Barry's heads here, so I can't confirm that for sure.  I'd defer to Joe's judgment on this one.

I visited several different foundries in my area before I settled on the one that I'm using.  There is a guy there who runs the foundry operation, who has been in foundries his whole life.  He is very hands-on with the foundry stuff, and really impressed me when I visited them.  When I got the first casting I knew I'd made the right decision.  After machining five manifolds I have yet to see a void or any evidence of porosity in the castings.  As a foundry guy yourself Rod, I respect your opinion on this, and I'm glad to hear that you like the quality of the castings!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:42:51 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown