Author Topic: Giggling like a school girl  (Read 94890 times)

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
Re: Giggling like a school girl
« Reply #195 on: December 11, 2016, 10:18:52 PM »
Marc,
No, no. No thread missed. My Mustang was done a while ago. So long that everything needs freshening now. It is an older picture. It's hooked to my Dad's 72 F250 that he bought new.

My first dedicated track car is the Wagon in my avatar. 67 Fairlane just like you have, only a Wagon. I have done the Calvert stuff, notched the towers, did the frame connectors (although not as cool as yours). Had Survival Motorsports do a 482, waited on a BBM block until I could not wait any longer and went with the block l had. Marine block. Had a C4 done with a good converter. I did do the Shelby drop figuring it could not hurt, and at the very least the tires won't be at a weird angle if the car starts hanging the hoops.

So, I have the fuel system, shifter and instrumentation and wiring to figure out. Want to get the car old school lettered, too. I wil be interested in your progress, so keep the updates coming when you can.

Mike
"That guy has got a pocket full of money and a watch full of time!"   Hubert Platt.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2016, 12:32:05 PM »
Alright, time for a little update.
As most of you know I've been balls to the wall on the Mustang. Well I finished the suspension and decided to take a couple relaxing days off and work on the Fairlane. Was getting sick of cutting/grinding/bending/welding so she and I needed a little separation. ;)
As far as that last post on getting the Fairlane ready for paint, well, it is but I'm moving it behind the Mustang as I have everything for the Mustang and need to still acquire Fairlane parts. Also the engine build on the Mustang will be more straight forward and again I have everything.
So I spent the last two days in a chair looking into the trunk and figuring out how I want to do the fuel and electric systems. Then go buy parts to install, install them then sit and figure the next step. Little different than the Mustang. :)
Everything is in mock up stage right now. For example I haven't welded in the tank mount structure yet. Also not the battery mount I will be using.
Here's the pix of what I have so far.

Hey Marc, I'm not sure about that battery mount.
I would check the rule book on that. Pretty sure it is a spec thing.
I have also seen those top aluminum plate things cause battery melt downs. :o

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2016, 01:37:34 PM »
You're right.
Read the last sentence in the quote you used again. ;)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 12, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »
I was more thinking about that aluminum thing in general.
I have seen a few stories on the spiderweb with pictues ;)
and the post clamp has just come a tad to close the the plate.
I know you're following the book Mark, that thing is bad news imho.
Stop using in anything.
Make something else out of it. ;)

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 12, 2016, 01:57:19 PM »
I get ya. That's why I was using that deal just to get an idea of the layout of everything in there.
I think I'm going to end up fabbing a hold down/box of some sort.
As you are thinking, since I'm in the layout stage I can try to get everything as safe as possible.
That's the reason I split the fuel and electric up so that fuel is below and electric above the floor.
Just trying to make sense.
I hear you on keeping the +/- posts away from anything.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »
Hi Marc,
I know you have been busy with your Mustang, just wondering if you had any updates or pictures of your Fairlane?  Mine is getting "close".  That's all, just curious if it was progressing.

Mike
"That guy has got a pocket full of money and a watch full of time!"   Hubert Platt.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2017, 12:16:47 PM »
Nothing to report yet Mike.
I'm following your wagon closely, it's looking great. Love your electronics accessibility and the lettering.
I think I may get the Fairlane painted soon so that when I'm done with the mustang I can jump right back in.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
Cool.  I will keep checking back.  We all know these things don't happen overnight. Ha, ha.

Mike

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2017, 11:39:17 AM »
If I could just figure out how not to do this "work" thing I'd have much more time for important things ::)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2020, 12:41:14 PM »
Well it’s been a little over 3 years but here we go back on the Fairlane. I have learned it’s impossible for me with my huge shop  ::) to work seriously on more than one car at a time.
I’ll be spending the first weeks on this thing getting back to having a clean car to work on. The car has been under a cover but out side and even in California it rains so I’m having to deal with DS moves I did like sand blasting the headlight brackets then leaving them in the car to rust. Moron. You can see them in the foreground of the picture. That’s not paint that’s rust neutralizer. Not bad rust but all surfaces, so treat then sand and paint. Lots of this type of catching up but no worries.
I’ve also updated my plans for it.
It was going to be just a track car but Dragweek is a bucket list deal for me so I’m heading in that direction. I have to rethink fuel supply as I have installed a 5 gallon cell. All good.
As far as an engine, if I get the CJ done soon I’ll throw that in for the meantime and get the car sussed out. I still have a BBM 427 and a 4.375 crank sitting in my garage so that’s the end game.
It’s going to be a two seater and I have the rear seat so if anyone needs one let me know.
Onward and upward.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2020, 03:19:34 PM »
Back on it! Hallelujah, Praise the Lord. Lol.

Mike

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2020, 04:11:48 PM »
Hah thought I’d hear from you Mike.
Hope all is well.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2020, 04:42:29 PM »
Cool! I have similar drag week goals with my Fairlane coupe. Have a mess of projects to work out from under first!
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2020, 05:14:35 PM »
I hear you on the mass of projects.
For my own sanity I sold one recently. I actually don’t miss it. I’ve figured out that I’m not Jay Brown. ;D
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2020, 12:04:20 AM »
Don't sell yourself short, your projects are very high quality. Takes time to get them exactly as you want them, and takes time to think about exactly how you want them!
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com