Author Topic: RPM copy from China information  (Read 3437 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
RPM copy from China information
« on: November 02, 2022, 10:30:01 AM »
Just trying to be politically correct on the forum and keep it civil.  I just received a manifold to check over and give my findings to the FE forum members.  The box does say made in China, but there is not another identifying mark anywhere on the intake: no firing order, no part number, nothing.  It does have a couple of machining tabs that are unique but overall looks decent and clean.  I am not sure of fitment at this point, but the ports do look closer than some USA made FE intakes.  Here are the flow numbers as cast out of the box and pictures.  Joe-JDC

1.  299.59
2.  325.33
3.  329.79
4.  298.59
5.  300.82
6.  316.42
7.  316.42
8.  303.05 for an average flow of 313.13 cfm.  It should be comparable to an Ed RPM after plenum work and gasket match, etc.   The RPM as cast is not very different from these numbers.  Joe-JDC

Joe-JDC '70GT-500

1968galaxie

• View Profile
Re: RPM copy from China information
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 02:26:37 PM »
Thank you Joe for posting the test results.
It appears that the manifold ports are a little larger as cast and more centered than the edelbrock?
Perhaps I am just seeing things.

Anyhow, good to know!

Fitment will be another test.

Cheers

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 02:29:30 PM »
That's great info, Joe.

Is there any notable differences on 1,3,5,& 8?
Frank

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 07:59:36 PM »
??? The flow numbers are there for you to see the differences in any port flow.  I am just posting what it is, as it is.  Not prejudiced for or against it.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

winr1

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 10:32:40 PM »
Thanks for info Joe

Are ya gonna fit it to a mill to see how it fits if I may ask ??

Ricky.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 10:36:51 AM »
Maybe it is just this particular manifold, but many of the bolt holes seem to be noticably off center in the casting bosses. I am really not a fan of Chinese companies making ripoff copies of North American designed and made products, but if there is any legal recourse, certainly seems that Edelbrock, and others have not been able to stop the counterfitting. But if these are actually going to be readily available, and the Edelbrock originals are not, they will likely sell a bunch of them.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 12:56:10 PM »
Just so guys have some practical information
The Chinese intake manifold is $490
The Edelbrock intake manifold is $680 in the new Summit catalog.

I have a great admiration of the Edelbrock company. They have supported the Ford FE platform since its inception. When rumor was that Edelbrock was coming out with a cylinder head for FE's, I raced down to Blair's Speed shop and told Phil Lukens to get me a pair as soon as they're available. After running used up Ford castings for many years I was ready for a brand new cylinder head.
I was not disappointed.

That said, 2 hunnert bucks is enough clams to buy something else you might need for your build.
I'm glad I have a couple of intakes on my junk pile so I don't have to buy one.

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 02:11:06 PM »
I have had a second chance to look the manifold over, and I found a couple of differences that are significant.  The hump is missing in port #1 over the #2 runner, and the port walls are very straight and not angled around the turns like the RPM in places.  It has a nice taper from the runner out between the pushrod holes and can be blended very easily to a 1247 gasket size or less.  Should be possible to radius the corners like a TFS port very easily.  I don't have a RPM here to measure the depth of the plenum.  Overall, it looks to be a decent intake manifold.  Joe-JDC 
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 02:29:32 PM »
Thanks again Joe.

Looks like the manifold is possibly better than the one it is "copied" from.

Cheers

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 08:31:59 PM »
Update:  I started tweaking the intake this afternoon to see how it will respond, and found a couple of places inside the runners that were porous, but not enough to leak air or fuel.  Still overall it is looking promising as a decent manifold for street usage.  There is not a heat crossover passage in the manifold.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 05:19:04 AM »
Update:  I started tweaking the intake this afternoon to see how it will respond, and found a couple of places inside the runners that were porous, but not enough to leak air or fuel.  Still overall it is looking promising as a decent manifold for street usage.  There is not a heat crossover passage in the manifold.  Joe-JDC

That will be where the issues will lie.  They can copy port and runner shapes and maybe even hire someone to make "improvements" but their casting processes will always be suspect.   That one may not leak, but the next one may.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 07:54:56 AM »
As for me I'd rather spend my two extra hundo employing people working here.

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2022, 09:20:06 AM »

My sentiment too.  Any savings is likely to be used up trying to seal it, unless you get lucky.  For the record, I've never been that lucky.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2022, 09:39:14 AM »

And to support guys who are not just blindingly copying products in order to make a sale, but to support guys who have knowledge and interest in the hobby. 

I'm working on an aftermarket FE block and the main caps are numbered/scribed backwards...i.e. front cap was #5, rear cap was #1.  Not a big deal in any way, but you can tell the guys who were working on it were not familiar with basic engine building principles/nomenclature.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2022, 12:08:01 PM »
For the record, the pitting that I see can probably be cleaned up if someone were to port the manifold to full gasket size or even more for all out performance.  I worked each port so that it only flowed up to 335 cfm average, so each port is nearly identical in flow and size which is a lot smaller than the 1457 gasket size.  It should make any street engine super responsive with a head than flows 280-310 cfm.  Reaching 335 cfm only took about 5 hours work total including flow bench time between reworking ports.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500