Author Topic: 397ci Tunnel Port Dyno Mule Build  (Read 6826 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: 397ci Tunnel Port Dyno Mule Build
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2022, 10:55:55 AM »
Not a chance.

Is this a pump gas small cam build? I am sorry if I read more into this.
I assumed with a 380 CFM head, short stroke, aluminum rods for high rpm that one would
easily reach 2+ HP per CFM.

Anyhow, doesn't matter - it looks like a very fun project!
Thank you for showing.

Pretty stark contrast between 2 hp per cubic inch and 2 hp per cfm. 

This engine will be pump gas capable, mainly from the standpoint that it would take an extreme amount of dome to get the compression ratio up.  When those extreme amounts of dome are used, you often lose what you gained just from the lack of flame propagation.

Certainly not a small cam though.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2022, 11:08:11 AM »
About what is the delta $ between the custom aluminum and the steel h-beam rods?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2022, 11:14:56 AM »
About what is the delta $ between the custom aluminum and the steel h-beam rods?

Fully custom, built to spec, aluminum rods are about $1300.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2022, 04:49:35 PM »
I have always wondered about the streetability of aluminum rods. As of recently I have shifted my mindset on things like this.....because our cars don't get driven enough to worry about them meeting their life expectancy. Seems like the engines get changed out because they have timed out, not worn out. Same thing goes for the Honda bearing size. It's harder on bearings, but will it ever actually really matter?

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2022, 05:56:05 PM »
I have always wondered about the streetability of aluminum rods. As of recently I have shifted my mindset on things like this.....because our cars don't get driven enough to worry about them meeting their life expectancy. Seems like the engines get changed out because they have timed out, not worn out. Same thing goes for the Honda bearing size. It's harder on bearings, but will it ever actually really matter?

With the recent billets of the past couple decades, I wouldn't be scared of running aluminum rods on the street.  Bill Miller (BME) says that he has a couple of shop trucks with 100k miles on them with aluminum rods.  Mike of R&R rods says that he has a lot of street import customers running around Florida with aluminum rods.   I think if you set the bearing and piston/head clearances up right and treat the engine well, they will last a really long time.   

I wouldn't necessarily say that the smaller journal diameters are harder on bearings.  Bearing speed goes down and the width is still there.  Cup guys have ran them for decades and obviously the forced induction import guys beat them to death. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2022, 08:34:06 PM »
Some years ago, I had a discussion with Bill Miller regarding the use of his aluminum rods on the street. He told me of an arrangement he has with an engine rebuilder who has a contract with a trucking company who run a fleet of tank trucks hauling crude oil from wells in Texas. The rebuilder uses BME rods for that application. He persuaded me. I'll undoubtedly use aluminum rods in all the engines I ever build or have built. (Although I'm looking at a project that might well use rods made from titanium.) :)

KS

MRHP

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2022, 10:13:26 AM »
I really like the Honda rod bearing idea.

I ran a stock bore 427 with 361 truck crank turned down to chrysler rod journal size in my Thunderbolt clone. We used Bill Miller aluminum 7" rods with dove standard configuration unported Hi-Riser heads and his Hi-Riser tunnel wedge. With a crane .600/.600 256@.050 solid lift cam. It made 550hp at 6500rpm.

Those aluminum rods had been raced up Pikes Peak three times and I put 150 passes on them at the drag strip, never had a moments trouble out of them.

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2022, 07:45:48 AM »
That used to be the trick with the Chrysler turned down journals, i have a couple steel cranks cut down like that.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2022, 07:14:01 AM »
Yes, Ed Pink long ago solved the SOHC crank bearing issues on Don Prudhomme's Lou Baney, Brand Ford AA/FD with the Chrysler sized bearing. Apparently Connie Kalitta's AA/FD also benefited by this change. Oddly, Pink doesn't mention this:

https://www.enginelabs.com/features/interviews/the-old-master-ed-pink-reflects-on-sohc-irl-and-midget-engines/
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 07:17:02 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag