Author Topic: FE 427 flywheel  (Read 2446 times)

KN5001

• View Profile
FE 427 flywheel
« on: November 06, 2021, 08:35:12 AM »
Hi
Help needed please ...
We have a genuine Lola T70 Spyder which incorporates a FE427 engine. The problem we have is that the flywheel clearance to the ground is only 3 inches. Are there any aftermarket flywheels with a reduction in diameter and an offset starter motor? Thank you in advance

philminotti

• View Profile
Re: FE 427 flywheel
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 11:33:06 AM »
I'm certainly no expert, but I find no evidence in the literature that the T70 ever had an FE... Do you have any documentation as to the provenance of this car?  Just curious.

KN5001

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 11:45:55 AM »
Hi
Yes full history

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 01:36:59 PM »
The T70s and McLaren MKIIs ran with many different engines in the day, even lots of early big Olds engines. What kind of bellhousing does it have? I would think any decent machinist could adapt a smaller flywheel to it, or cut one down and adapt a smaller ring gear, but the starter would probably be easier from the rear- they used to run dual starters on the hot boats, with one coming in through the back

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 01:57:35 PM »
There is a long discussion about this, with lots of pictures, over on Lance's forum.

I believe his focus, right now, at least until he gets a answer is adapting a 157 flywheel and a front mount starter, that will bolt to it. Has anyone done that?

From the pictures, I believe he has a 5.5" triple disk clutch in it, attached to a 184 tooth FW right now. It hangs, unprotected, way down, below the chassis.

At this late date, I don't believe there is a bellhousing available (new or used) to connect a FE, to a Hewland LG 500 gearbox using a rear mount starter.

I hope that helps.
Frank

KN5001

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 03:47:07 PM »
Hi
The bellhousing is an original Hewland magnesium type Part LG552 which bolts perfectly on to both the FE427 and the LG500 box (unmodified).

I have been running this set up for the last 15 years but now would like to use the car for more road and less circuit, hence would like to increase ground clearance if poss.

Thanks
K

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 10:27:38 PM »
The last time I was in a position such as yours---(need for unusual flywheel)---I found it easy to order an undrilled flywheel from multiple manufacturers. Some also seemed to be willing to alter the bolt hole patterns they offer. Simply choose a flywheel of a size you find necessary. This will still leave you with the necessity to arrange for a starter, and positioning one satisfactorily will necessitate a properly equipped shop and skilled machinist. Various race shops could undoubtedly give service. Where are you located?

Have you talked to Hewland?

KS
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 10:30:40 PM by cammerfe »

KN5001

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 05:28:03 AM »
Thanks Frank for the info

Has anybody got a steel FE427 bellhousing for sale?

Regarding my location  UK

Thanks again
K

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 10:23:52 AM »
I am curious to know which car this is what from what team etc.- I followed the USRRC and Can-Am pretty closely back in the day- the coupes in particular were gorgeous cars. I saw Mark Donohue burn this one to the ground at the Glen in '66, then was shocked to see it fully restored at Sears Point a few years ago- it was traded back for another by Penske, rebuilt, wrecked a few times. I have a bunch of slides that I took in 66-67, including one of this car driving thru the infield before it burned

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 02:35:57 PM »
Are you looking for a steel bellhousing, just to protect your 184 tooth FW or as a starting base to modify it for a 157 tooth FW?

If for the 157 FW, you have at least 3 problems.

1. a 157 FW or smaller adapted to the FE crank

2. A bellhousing to hold a starter at that C/C distance

3. Modifying it to attach to your LG 500

The first thing you need to find out is, if you can move a starter in, using a front mount, to the C/C distance for a 157 FW

Since your in the UK, that would be another reason to contact Marc Bahner. I'm sure he will have sources in the UK that might lead you to help.
Frank

KN5001

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 02:43:40 PM »
Hi
She was an experimental car for the Ford division in conjunction with Kar Kraft involving both Mecom Racing and later Holman and Moody, she also incorporates a lot of GT40 features
It's totally authentic, retaining the original monocoque.
Thanks
K

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 11:14:19 AM »
Does the current bell housing use a separator plate to locate the starter? One could play with starter location a little using custom plates until you found something that would work before modifying.

Or maybe a stater with an offset pinion.

Would need to move what roughly 1.105" Possibly machine a new starter drive end block combined with offset in the separator plate.?? IDK just thinking

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 11:53:36 AM »
Hi
She was an experimental car for the Ford division in conjunction with Kar Kraft involving both Mecom Racing and later Holman and Moody, she also incorporates a lot of GT40 features
It's totally authentic, retaining the original monocoque.
Thanks
K

OK, which car? Any pics/ car numbers? I remember Mecom being involved quite a bit, and probably have original magazine coverage of your car- I have many Sports Car Graphics, Rod & Tracks etc. from the day

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 03:13:26 PM »
He posted these on the FordFE forum. They're buried pretty deep as the silver-backs went all tangential on him, for pages...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 03:22:47 PM by Dumpling »

Henrysnephew

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2021, 07:01:21 PM »
  Yeah Dumpling, topics do wander around a bit on the other forum but if one relaxes and rolls with it some pretty interesting threads develop from time to time.  Old guys riff'n often come up with some good stuff!  Gotta go, I'm told my cream of wheat is ready (lol).  Randy M