Author Topic: Richmond/Doug Nash behind a FORD engine  (Read 1885 times)

JacksFordParts

• View Profile
Richmond/Doug Nash behind a FORD engine
« on: November 09, 2021, 09:16:36 PM »
Does anyone have any experience running a Richmond behind a sbf or FE? I'm wondering about the input shaft and what needs to happen to make it work behind either engine. I have a picture of the input shaft but can't post pics here.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Jack

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Richmond/Doug Nash behind a FORD engine
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 06:05:51 AM »
They had several different flavors.  What's the input shaft length on yours?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 10:01:30 AM »
Jack, mine has a fine spline Chevy shaft, so you have to get a clutch disc with the Chev spline.  I also had to cut the nose off on mine to fit the FE, I think it was the correct length for a small block.  Had to trim the floor on the Mustang I ran it in for the shifter.  Other than that, no issues, it worked really well behind a 500+ HP FE.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 10:29:18 AM »
Jack, mine has a fine spline Chevy shaft, so you have to get a clutch disc with the Chev spline.  I also had to cut the nose off on mine to fit the FE, I think it was the correct length for a small block.  Had to trim the floor on the Mustang I ran it in for the shifter.  Other than that, no issues, it worked really well behind a 500+ HP FE.

Jay and I had conversed here some years ago on a Doug Nash/Richmond 5-speed, mine behind a SBF Windsor for 17 years now. Mine also has the Chevy fine spline disc so be careful here to get the right one. No nose cut needed for the SBF, using a Lakewood bell.

Mine also (forget if Jay's was the same but likely it was) has the Chevy tail shaft so a Turbo 400 yoke is required. Turns out that my OEM driveshaft ('70 Mustang) bolted right up w/o any cutting although a special u-joint is needed. Forget the Spicer/Dana number right now but they are pretty common. Finally, be aware that if your tranny DOES have both ends spec'ed for Chevy splines, you'll also need a Chevy 'bullet', correct plastic gear, steel holding tab (actual name escapes me now) and a bolt to hold in the speedo gear and bullet as the Ford stuff will not work. 

Great trans btw. I only bought the Chevy trans as Richmond said Ford trans were in very short supply way back then.

See the last two posts in this link: http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=1042.msg9068#msg9068

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 10:40:19 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 12:21:09 PM »
I'm wondering about the input shaft and what needs to happen to make it work behind either engine.
Any guidance greatly appreciated.

You will need to establish what input shaft your transmission actually has, as the Richmond/Doug Nash has been produced over the decades with a number of possibilities.  Example: as typically decades ago when we were using them behind Fords we were provided with an input shaft of the Top-Loader in length and pilot but with the Chrysler 1-3/16" 18-spline.    :o

But, we also had available a pilot bearing (can't remember where we got them from?) that would accept the smaller GM shaft nose to the Ford 1.375" receiver of the crank when using that application shaft.  Pay attention to the shaft length for both overall for pilot engagement and for not bottoming into the crankshaft; and also the bearing support/retainer for adequate length for such but not to long and contacting the disc hub or creating interference with fork-fingers, also establish register compatibility.  And then one just stipulates the spline application when ordering the clutch.  ;)

So the first question would be: whatcha-got?    :-\

Scott.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 12:25:06 PM by pbf777 »

JacksFordParts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 01:55:38 AM »
Got it figured out guys, thanks for everyone's help.

Jack

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 06:44:26 PM »
Mine was Mopar "Hemi" 18 spline, and I just used an 11" Mopar spplication disc with the Ford pressure plate. The front of the case had the Toploader pattern along with extra holes for other brands.

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 12:15:19 AM »

Gentlemen,
Have any of you installed a Richmond 5-speed and 'landed' the shifter through the stock hole/center of tunnel?
(I realize that a Long or a super shifter would shift much better but I don't want to cut this car...yet!)
Thank you,
Steve A

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 07:03:29 AM »
Richmond user here (see above posts) but no, it's not quite centered. My '70 Mach1 did need some trimming to the left side of the hole and a tad above (towards the firewall). for the Hurst 5 speed shifter handle. The centerline of the shifter is oriented to the left. Still, a somewhat larger than stock boot easily covers the trimming. 
Bob Maag

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 09:54:07 PM »

Thank you Bob.