Author Topic: What is the best connecting rod that can be purchased?  (Read 3650 times)

dozz302

• View Profile
What is the best connecting rod that can be purchased?
« on: October 27, 2021, 06:10:37 PM »
Hello, I might put together a tunnelport motor and if I did I would put the best steel or other connecting rod money can buy it it. So looking for info on that. Motor would not make more than 600HP but just the same I would use the best possible rod so I wouldn't have to worry about RPM. Too large of an investment. Thanks
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 06:14:03 PM by dozz302 »

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: What is the best connecting rod that can be purchased?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 09:20:04 PM »
There are more expensive rods but 600 HP or less the Scat H beam is plenty. I believe they are good to around 750.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 10:29:46 PM »
I think you actually want to ask: What is the best rod for my application?

Super and ultra cars such as a Bugatti or Ferrari or Koenigsegg often use rods made from titanium. The manufacturers believe that makes the best sense for their purpose. My own current project will carry aluminum rods made by GRP. My intention is to put together an engine that will run at insane RPMs, under exceptional boost levels, on a mix of methanol and nitrous oxide. All else is subordinate to those parameters.

The first TP I put together was in 1968. The last one was more than ten years ago, so I've been there a few times. If I were doing it now, within the limits you've set above, I'd use a good steel aftermarket piece. The exact budget you're working with and other factors you've not mentioned would tie into the ultimate choice.  :)

KS

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 01:06:24 AM »
Based on your question, Carrillo is the first name that came to mind.

They have been the leader in HP rod technology for 50 years, or more. NASCAR teams still use them and I would say, that is the gold standard.

Other rod makers may have a equal product but, there is no doubt when it comes to rods, if it's Carrillo.
Frank

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 04:42:07 AM »
Pankl, Carrillo, Callies, Oliver, etc.   There are quite a few that I would reach for.   I prefer Oliver in my real high end stuff. 

As mentioned, almost any rod would be sufficient for your build though.  I use a lot of K1 or Molnar rods in my FE stuff (+/- 7500 rpm) and to be honest, a Scat I-beam would probably handle almost anything that a Tunnel Port would throw at it.

The biggest concern is what rod journal you have.   If it's an FE rod journal, you're gonna have a limited selection and I would choose Molnar.   For a BBC rod journal, the options really open up, but I don't see the need in paying $1500-2000 for a set of overkill rods.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 10:41:42 AM »
    We have had good experiences and generally use Crower rods on things we want to last; and they have the capacity to manufacture a billet steel rod in nearly any dimension one wishes, one just has to wait for it though.    :)

Scott

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 11:07:56 PM »
I agree that Pankl, Carrillo, Callies, and Oliver are the best choices when we want a really good, no excuses steel rod. The variance in big end bore on my Oliver's was less than 0.0001 inch from rod to rod. I was very impressed

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 06:57:21 AM »
   I would add that you might want to educate yourself about various rod bolts offered. And use bolt stretch method when torquing.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 01:11:05 PM »
Pankl, Carrillo, Callies, Oliver, etc.   There are quite a few that I would reach for.   I prefer Oliver in my real high end stuff. 

As mentioned, almost any rod would be sufficient for your build though.  I use a lot of K1 or Molnar rods in my FE stuff (+/- 7500 rpm) and to be honest, a Scat I-beam would probably handle almost anything that a Tunnel Port would throw at it.

The biggest concern is what rod journal you have.   If it's an FE rod journal, you're gonna have a limited selection and I would choose Molnar.   For a BBC rod journal, the options really open up, but I don't see the need in paying $1500-2000 for a set of overkill rods.

+1 on Molnar.  Tom was the metallurgist and engineer at Oliver for a long time.  I guess he just decided to open his own business for it.  I had Oliver rods in a 2000hp mod motor build.  Can't complain when something doesn't break :)

SJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 06:12:44 PM »

that last paragraph is spot on.....
SS /D

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 06:49:08 PM »
So, you don't care for the Crowers for FE journal? Or just the price? I happen to have a set for my 454

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 08:12:03 PM »
Best connecting rod - no upper limit budget?
Easy - Titanium rod. Period.

Crower makes custom sizes, and I believe CP/Carillo offers Ti rods as well. Arrow in the UK offer Ti rods also - I believe custom as well - unlimited budget.

The only car I ever drove that had Ti rods was an old 906 powered 1969 Porsche 911 lightweight road racer. Much fun after 6000 rpm - 9000 rpm

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 05:26:47 AM »
So, you don't care for the Crowers for FE journal? Or just the price? I happen to have a set for my 454

Crower makes a great rod.   Already owning them is another plus.   But if you have to buy them, I'd buy something else.  I think there are more cost effective choices for the FE.

Most of the guys on here are making 550-650 hp.   Pretty much any aftermarket rod will suffice there and for an FE-journal rod, the Molnar is much lighter than anything else out there and hard to beat at ~$650.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 09:20:50 AM »
Crower makes a great rod.   Already owning them is another plus.   But if you have to buy them, I'd buy something else.  I think there are more cost effective choices for the FE.

Most of the guys on here are making 550-650 hp.   Pretty much any aftermarket rod will suffice there and for an FE-journal rod, the Molnar is much lighter than anything else out there and hard to beat at ~$650.

That's exactly what I thought you would say, and I agree completely- nice but very expensive

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 11:36:05 AM »
............... I would put the best steel or other connecting rod money can buy it it. So looking for info on that. ................. I would use the best possible rod so I wouldn't have to worry..................

So, the O.P. question was................?    :-\

Of coarse we must apply a little reasoning to our responses (that leaves NASA out!   ::) ), but he didn't ask for the most cost effective rod someone thought would be 'sufficient'. 

And I understand, as being in this industry for over forty years, that the customers often wish to be of somewhat thrifty practice, but what does even say an addition one thousand dollars in cost of ones entire project really mean; that versus the damage costs incurred with a rod failure?    ???

Scott.