Author Topic: What is the best connecting rod that can be purchased?  (Read 3689 times)

1968galaxie

• View Profile
Re: What is the best connecting rod that can be purchased?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 04:24:30 PM »
I read the OP post as well.
That is why I mentioned Titanium offerings.
Lighter reciprocating mass and extremely reliable.
Ti is used for many classes of racing engines unless rules prohibit its use.

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2021, 08:24:18 PM »
Titanium
Woody

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 06:06:19 AM »
Hello, I might put together a tunnelport motor and if I did I would put the best steel or other connecting rod money can buy it it. So looking for info on that. Motor would not make more than 600HP but just the same I would use the best possible rod so I wouldn't have to worry about RPM. Too large of an investment. Thanks

I would just add similar to others, the rod alone, even if the "best money can buy" doesn't singularly determine RPM.

Piston weight, skirt design, block condition, main design, oiling, crank material and design, balance, etc, all determine if the lower end will stay together.  If the money and machining is there for all of those things, it's a very expensive way to get to 600 hp.  For 600 HP FEs, a set of Molnars and a light set of Diamonds and a SCAT steel crank are real nice, and even overkill,  go up from there to Crower, but without looking at the complete assembly, I am not sure you gain a thing for your money
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2021, 03:26:13 AM »
I know of a 302 based SBF that's 396 CI and uses Titanium Honda rods. Drives on the street and has run mid 9's. Same engine builder with his C/A 442 CI and near 1000 HP uses a steel rod at 12,500 RPM. There's a reason for that and I'm not smart enough to explain. Most Pro Stock 500 CI engines were also using a steel rod. Really big power cars go with aluminum which has a finite (as in short) lifespan. Listen to Brent and you won't go wrong.   

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2021, 03:16:11 PM »
I found this, over on ST. It may help in making decisions on buying parts:

Pankl Racing Systems owns CP Pistons / Carrillo / Arias. The P in CP is for Pankl. Pankl builds high end rods for NASCAR and Formula 1, and is an OEM supplier for Porsche AG.

Industrial Opportunity Partners owns Edelbrock, Comp Cams (which bought and dissolved parts of Crane Cams - RIP), FAST, TCI, and Russell

Kinderhook industries owns Racing Winning Brands, which owns: JE Pistons, K1 Technologies, MGP Connecting Rods, Rekluse (moto clutches), Wiseco, Manley, Dart, Diamond Pistons, and Trend Performance.

Sentinel Capital Partners owns Drive Performance Brands, which ownes: Flowmaster, B&M Racing and Performance, Hurst Shifters, and Dinan Engineering. In 2018, Sentinel acquired Holley Performance Products, which included: Accel, Hooker, Diablosport, MSD, Superchips, Mr Gasket, APR, Earl's, Racepak, Weiand, Tremec, Mallory, etc.
Frank

dozz302

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2021, 01:21:40 AM »
Thanks for the help, a lot of great info. I was going to use either a CJ or 427 Steel crank. All stock journals. Just be real strong basic engine with a steel rod that would be the last thing that would break. The motor would probably not see above 7000 RPM. I have heard of Scat for example rods breaking. Carrillo & Oliver are 2 names I have been familiar with for years with an excellent reputation.  I am reading all of this though > Thanks