Author Topic: Ray Paquet  (Read 9132 times)

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: Ray Paquet
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2021, 10:46:06 AM »
Amen on the valve angles ! You can only sink a valve so far to avoid valve to valve clearance problem , pretty much what ended the Hemi in Pro Stock once the field was leveled in the 80's with 500 inch rule (my opinion), by the time the 500 inch rule came out in Pro Stock the cam lift surpassed what Hemi's could run to be competitive , Harley Davidson Shovel heads had the same problem if you build them up they run into valve hitting the valve compared to what replaced it with the EVO design , but the Hemi like the Cammer when they were designed a .600 lift cam was considered big cam where now it's a street cam lift

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2021, 02:05:11 PM »
   Would slightly smaller dia. valves alleviate the valve clipping problem?

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2021, 02:24:27 PM »
the valves just face each other too much , wedge motors don't have this trouble , Boss 429 doesn't have this trouble , Cammers don't have much trouble but they only have a designed in 1.3 rocker ratio limiting lift . Sinking the valves in by cutting the seat down is common practice to move the valves away from each other in the Harley Shovel head world and would imagine that's what the Mopar guys did too

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »
Good Paquet video - car details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7_kZyMoagk

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2021, 08:39:52 AM »
That's Fantastic! Thanks for posting.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Reverend Motors

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2022, 09:45:55 PM »
Yes Ray has now 30 Class wins at the US Nationals. He has many other class wins other places. There is some speculation that he has more wins in the other car and some say that's the 2 cars combined. Honestly not positive myself. Fastest run was 8.42@159. IDK if the Hemi`s ran under the same rules would they be beating up on him, IDK. I do know before they separated them he was winning.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2022, 09:45:12 AM »
Awesome car, more awesome individual.  Thanks for the Friday moment of fun!

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2022, 10:50:49 AM »
I watch , DragBoss garage, Tim had Darrin Morgan on and someone asked him to explain the work he did on the S/S hemi head package. He described how he spent 4 months redesigning the heads to get them to work, under what is acceptable to NHRA. They are completely changed from a stock head, not even close. Very intriguing what work he accomplished, and still make them acceptable. Let's face it, far from stock, with 4 months development by a man I consider , one of the best ever.
Ray is accomplishing what he has with a very different program ,and a very different set of rules. Plus it's Ray's work. He does the development.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2022, 10:59:33 AM »
One more bit, Darrin's step father was Ford racer ,Kip Martin, who should be a legend, and in my opinion is, running a 352 Fe and kicking butt.  If You put Ray and Darrin's fertile minds together, for a month , no telling what they would accomplish. Maybe a 7 second high riser?

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2022, 09:48:45 PM »
I watch , DragBoss garage, Tim had Darrin Morgan on and someone asked him to explain the work he did on the S/S hemi head package. He described how he spent 4 months redesigning the heads to get them to work, under what is acceptable to NHRA. They are completely changed from a stock head, not even close. Very intriguing what work he accomplished, and still make them acceptable. Let's face it, far from stock, with 4 months development by a man I consider , one of the best ever.
Ray is accomplishing what he has with a very different program ,and a very different set of rules. Plus it's Ray's work. He does the development.

Charlie Wescott had a lot to do with Ray picking up a bunch!

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2022, 11:40:35 PM »

Back when I was magazine writing on a monthly basis, I spent time with both Jim Dove and Ray. At that time, they were working quite closely together. I remember seeing a head in Ray's garage, sourced from Jim, that had a different combination of runners and combustion chamber for each of the four cylinders. It wasn't meant as a running piece, but as a handy workpiece for development purposes.  :)

KS

SJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2022, 08:14:44 PM »
One more bit, Darrin's step father was Ford racer ,Kip Martin, who should be a legend, and in my opinion is, running a 352 Fe and kicking butt.  If You put Ray and Darrin's fertile minds together, for a month , no telling what they would accomplish. Maybe a 7 second high riser?

not in superstock
SS /D

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2022, 05:43:59 PM »
Maybe not superstock but , I believe that was Ted Wells. But Darrin worked with Kip , and learned from his step dad. Darrin said that 352 was turning 8600 rpm. The forerunner of Lykins project , J J 😁

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2022, 06:53:19 AM »

Charlie Wescott had a lot to do with Ray picking up a bunch!

Charlie knows how to make cars go fast, no matter what they are.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2022, 08:02:26 AM »
You are correct, Westcott is a very smart man. ( Genuine nice gentleman)  I wasn't aware he had worked with Ray. If you have Charlie in your arsenal, you have really got something.