Author Topic: TFS heads and rocker questions.  (Read 1417 times)

Rory428

• View Profile
TFS heads and rocker questions.
« on: February 02, 2022, 08:34:39 PM »
My local speed shop was able to find me a pair of TFS heads, I am presently mocking them up on my 59s 428, to check rocker geometry and pushrod length. I will be retaining my Oregon Cams mild solid flat tappet cam, and rocker supports, with Isky iron rockers.So far, it looks like I will need to have the rocker stands machined down about .220", that gets the maximum lift, and the rocker arms pretty much level at mid lift, however, I am wondering about the contact pattern on the valve tip. The Isky rockers are not roller tip, they have a rounded , hardened wear tip at the valve end, similar to the factory FE adjustable rocker arms, so I imagine that my pattern will be a bit wider than a roller tip. I am at about .090" wide pattern, but also the pattern is not quite centered on the valve, rather it is a bit closer to the inside (intake manifold side). Just wondering if Brent , Barry or anybody else has used the TFS heads with a non roller tip rocker, and what the pattern looked like? Also, the heads I have have the larger 1.55" valve springs, which are doubles, with a damper. So likely a bit stiff for my mild flat tappet cam. So I will test the springs without the inners, if that doesn`t look OK, was wondering if the heads sold with the smaller  1.46" valve springs have smaller spring pockets, or if the heads are all machined the same. If I get the stands cut down .220", looks like I will be needing pushrods in the 9.450-9.50" range. Does all this sound reasonable? All my other FE heads have been iron Cobra Jets, so I never really paid much attention to stand height, and never really had any issues, but the TFS`s change all that. I gotta say, I was rather surprised at how much valve lift if affected by the stand heights, as well as how soon the valves stant to open.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: TFS heads and rocker questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 06:20:11 AM »
Rory, I've used them with factory non-adjustables and the pattern should be about .100-.125" wide on the valve stem, like you're seeing.  The pattern doesn't have to be perfectly centered on the valve stem, but if you move them around until you get the narrowest sweep and the most net lift to the valve, then you'll be fine. 

Pushrod length sounds close, considering you're using a flat tappet lifter. 

The heads are offered with a flat tappet spring, but there's not too much of a difference in spring pressure.   You may be able to run them with a +.050" lock or do that and kill the spring shims to get the pressure down, you'll just have to test them and see.  Typically when I do them with solid flat tappets, I will do a custom valve spring package with them.   

You are correct, stand height (just like pushrod length on a stud mounted rocker) can dramatically change net valve lift.  You will find it to be important on any FE cylinder head, even factory head/rocker combinations.  I don't recall any combination where I've not had to move the stands up or down to make things perfect.   You can easily get back .050-.070" of lift by shifting things around.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 06:22:01 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 03:30:25 PM »
Thanks, Brent, I will also see the valve spring pressures are with the inner removed, that may drop the pressure enough. On my iron CJ heads, I was running 135 lbs  seat, and 280 open (.520" lift"), don`t think I should need more than that, shift no higher than 5500 RPM. Sound close to you? Also, are the TFS rocker studs made with longer threads, or should my old POP studs be good enough on the TFS heads?  I have a set of Edelbrock intake gaskets, they are gray with a thin silicone looking bead around each port, do these suffer the same fate as the "PrintOLeaks", or should they be OK on a street application? If not, any suggestions for int. gaskets? I was running the blue, stiff FelPro regular PermaTorque gaskets on the iron heads, but don`t think I want something that stiff  on an aluminum head & intake combination. Thoughts?
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 03:59:29 PM »
Thanks, Brent, I will also see the valve spring pressures are with the inner removed, that may drop the pressure enough. On my iron CJ heads, I was running 135 lbs  seat, and 280 open (.520" lift"), don`t think I should need more than that, shift no higher than 5500 RPM. Sound close to you? Also, are the TFS rocker studs made with longer threads, or should my old POP studs be good enough on the TFS heads?  I have a set of Edelbrock intake gaskets, they are gray with a thin silicone looking bead around each port, do these suffer the same fate as the "PrintOLeaks", or should they be OK on a street application? If not, any suggestions for int. gaskets? I was running the blue, stiff FelPro regular PermaTorque gaskets on the iron heads, but don`t think I want something that stiff  on an aluminum head & intake combination. Thoughts?

135 lbs on the seat should be ok. 

The Precision Oil Pump studs are fine.  I use them all the time. 

Never used the Edelbrock gaskets, so no experience there.  I usually use either an SCE MR gasket or a Mr. Gasket 202A.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 04:08:15 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 07:23:54 AM »
I "think" the Edelbrock intake gaskets are the same as the Print-O-Leaks.

Brent, which SCE gaskets do you use?
I see they have 4 different part #s

Is it the #134101 ?
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 07:59:59 AM »
I'd have to go measure them up.   To be honest, I've never paid attention to the part numbers.   I also get them in various thicknesses and they started making them in a .030" thickness which *really* helps out because a lot of intakes need to be whacked to get the ports lined up with a .060" gasket.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 09:23:51 AM »
I just put the SCE catalog in the vendor section to help.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 12:41:25 PM »
Edelbrock 7224 gaskets are not Fel Pro 1247 or 1246 gaskets but are similar in size to the medium riser port size.  Totally different materials.   Joe-JDC 
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 01:08:46 PM »

Rory, The Edelbrocks and old Victor silicone bead gaskets don't seem to fail like the Felpros. I have used both

However, if you have room for the thick blue Felpros and they will seal on the bottom of the intake port for the intake you are running, all you may need to do is a little cleanup on the sides of the gasket as it seems a smidge smaller than a med riser port

All that being said, a Mr Gasket 202A is a no brainer if the intake is a med riser intake

As far as the studs I believe you need a different oiling stud like the Edelbrock kits. 

I haven't used a stock rocker on a TFS so can't help there, but Brent is all over it
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch