Author Topic: Garbage in Oil  (Read 4565 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Garbage in Oil
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2022, 11:18:36 PM »
Just to be absolutely correct, the proper label for Ford products is, 'flywheel.' Generic motors may have used 'flex-plate' but at FoMoCo, they were called flywheels from the time the individual components were assembled. The ring gear was put on the stamping by 'Electron-Beam-Welding.' I, at one time, spent the better part of a year standing within a few feet of where it all happened. :)

KS

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2022, 11:35:18 PM »
Just to be absolutely correct, the proper label for Ford products is, 'flywheel.' Generic motors may have used 'flex-plate' but at FoMoCo, they were called flywheels from the time the individual components were assembled. The ring gear was put on the stamping by 'Electron-Beam-Welding.' I, at one time, spent the better part of a year standing within a few feet of where it all happened. :)

KS

In Australia an Automatic gearbox car use's a flexplate and a manual gearbox use's a flywheel

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2022, 06:29:14 AM »

KS

In Australia an Automatic gearbox car use's a flexplate and a manual gearbox use's a flywheel

That's the naming convention standard for pretty much everywhere:  automatic = flexplate, manual = flywheel.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2022, 09:42:37 AM »

KS

That's the naming convention standard for pretty much everywhere:  automatic = flexplate, manual = flywheel.

Yep! GM and Chrysler do the same.
Bob Maag

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2022, 10:36:29 AM »
Jay thanks for the local lead on crank repair, much appreciated!

Yes I used the sheet metal like plate between engine and trans..
Some research suggests the "flexplate" actually does flex when the converter pushes forward absorbing some, maybe a lot? of the thrust load if of course it is mounted by the ears, so with flexplate bolts bottomed out in the center of converter this behavior is 100% gone.  My guess is my trans pressure is high as well so that does not help matters as I suspect a higher than normal constant thrust load.  I installed an external trans cooler in series with radiator cooler 2 years ago, sounds like that can mess with trans pressure as well.

It looks the Performance Automatic flex plate is a little thicker than stock and of course not a stock converter anyways so with stock doubler ring it all adds up the the interference.

I am thinking of running without the doubler, maybe some hardened steel washers that are more thin than doubler and might take a little off the bolt heads to get say 1/8" of clearance at flexplate bolt head to converter face.  Will probaly need shorter bolts anyways if I use more thin washers instead of doubler.  Then of course make sure converter snout is free and clear within crank pilot for at least that 1/8".

From there more care setting it up to make sure converter is sitting .125" out from bottomed out in trans and space accordingly after that.

Can't believe I missed this and still wish I had more concrete info. on the mechanics at play here.

Thanks everyone.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2022, 10:39:02 PM »

KS

Yep! GM and Chrysler do the same.

i'm simply saying that at T&C Livonia, where they were designed and built in the first place, they were never known as "Flexplates". They were only ever called "flywheels". ;)

KS
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 10:49:47 PM by cammerfe »

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2022, 08:14:36 AM »
If a converter expands (balloons) it doesn't go back. You may want to check that b4 you put it all back together.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2022, 12:55:10 PM »
Not having much if any experience in evaluating bearing and cylinder surfaces what do you all think about what you see here?
There are some minor scratches on cylinder walls, there is only one (shown in picture) where I can barely catch the edge with a finger nail, looks worse in image than it is I think.
All others are not detectable by hand, Can I just clean this all up and run with new bearings or ?
Cam bearings look like new to me, rods also look good to me but will replace rods and mains for good measure.
I know it is hard to tell in images but everything is super smooth save that one scratch, while there is obviously something there on most surfaces I can not feel it in all other cases.
Thanks again for all of the help, will try and post rod bearing pictures tonight.
By the way engine has ~3k miles on it, some of them pretty hard.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 12:58:19 PM by Thumperbird »