Author Topic: Roots supercharging a Ford FE?  (Read 47227 times)

BB-63

• View Profile
Re: Roots supercharging a Ford FE?
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2014, 11:33:29 PM »
It must be an optical illusion.  The injectors on that manifold point right at the back of the valve stem. The dual injector on is shown in the red CAD image.  It's a lot of fun trying to make it all work!

TomP

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2014, 12:47:11 AM »
Are there Whipplechargers that adapt a carb on top or are they all meant for rear inlet throttle bodies?

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »
Yes, they are called radial entry rather than axial.  There are also rear feed and front feed.

fe66comet

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »
I always wondered why nobody has come out with that style intake, the 3800 Buick used them for years . How is injector size and pressure affected being on the boost side?

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2014, 11:55:12 AM »
It's more flow restriction on the air side.  On the whole, you stand to gain more in terms of power, efficiency, and drivability from the individual cylinder control of port injection than the loss from air flow restriction.  That's on a boosted engine, of course.  I wouldn't presume that to be the case on NA engines.  That said, I have seen plenty of secondary "shower head" injectors on motorcycle engines.  Those are in the air flow path and could be considered a restriction. 

MeanGene

• View Profile
Re: Overboard....
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2014, 12:09:16 PM »
You don't have anything until you have it injected with 4 turbos and a supercharger!

I saw that thing at a show a couple years ago- the guys girlfriend saw me trying to follow the plumbing on it as it didn't make a lot of sense- she laughed and said yeah, pretty much stock engine with a lot of hoohaa hung on it- he wouldn't start it up LOL
IIRC those "airboxes" on top were repurposed valve covers

fe66comet

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2014, 12:37:07 PM »
Kinda like the guy with a mailbox bolted to the hood LOL.

RJP

• View Profile
Re: Overboard....
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »
You don't have anything until you have it injected with 4 turbos and a supercharger!

I saw that thing at a show a couple years ago- the guys girlfriend saw me trying to follow the plumbing on it as it didn't make a lot of sense- she laughed and said yeah, pretty much stock engine with a lot of hoohaa hung on it- he wouldn't start it up LOL
IIRC those "airboxes" on top were repurposed valve covers
This boat has been at Putah Creek, Berryessa a few times when I was there...If and When the boat did run it never went much faster than about 35 mph. Alot of noise, pomp and circumstance but no joy. I was almost embarrased for him :-[ but under all those turbos, boost controllers, popoff valves, bypasses, plumbing, fittings, bracketry, ect. lay a small block Chevy... I got over that feeling very quickly. ;D

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »
And not much of an SBC- girlfriend hinted at a pretty stock engine with a little cam. Guy was pretty pompous, but wouldn't start it up, and got real huffy when asked about the questionable "plumbing" LOL- good candidate for a Thumper aka Poser cam

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2014, 05:26:55 PM »
He's probably got a tiny you-know-what too.

Hey, I meant camshaft......LOL! 
Bob Maag

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2014, 05:31:54 PM »
And not much of an SBC- girlfriend hinted at a pretty stock engine with a little cam. Guy was pretty pompous, but wouldn't start it up, and got real huffy when asked about the questionable "plumbing" LOL- good candidate for a Thumper aka Poser cam
I met him a couple of times at PCR....Wasn't friendly at all. But then again if I had that thing and it ran the way it did I'd be hatin' the world too.

fe66comet

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »
Instead of turbo he should have invested in bigger boat paddles LOL.

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2014, 10:59:12 PM »
He should have named it "snail bait".

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2014, 09:06:07 AM »
Aero chargers used to be junk but I haven't seen one in years.

The reason you see variable vane turbos on diesel and not gas engines is usually they can't handle the egts.

Thats not correct. 1250 on your EGT's for both gas and diesel would run all day long. Anything above that would melt them both down! The reason why they are on diesels is to get rid of the turbo lag and get that 8,000lbs pick up moving. Not as critical for a gas engine.  Or they do a compound set up in a diesel for the same reason.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:11:14 AM by Ford428CJ »
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
I met him a couple of times at PCR....Wasn't friendly at all. But then again if I had that thing and it ran the way it did I'd be hatin' the world too.

Yeah, from what I heard the owner was FOS. In his ad when he sold the boat, it stated that it was a testbed for his Bonneville program and it evolved into what it was. He claimed he never raced it or ran it hard, just putted around with it.

In any case, he sold the boat without the engine and it is currently sitting in the space next to my shop waiting for a real twin turbo engine to be installed.