Author Topic: WIP 1967 Fairlane Wagon.  (Read 23669 times)

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
WIP 1967 Fairlane Wagon.
« on: February 12, 2017, 07:48:09 PM »
Hoping to get this together for the FE Race and Reunion @ Beaver Springs Dragway  the end of April. Still have the fuel system, wiring, weight reduction, alignment, lettering and it seems like a ton of little things. First time putting a car together for the track, but it is getting there. Looking to run Nostalgia Classes, hopefully mid 11.'s

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:52:39 AM by Cobrajet2 »
"That guy has got a pocket full of money and a watch full of time!"   Hubert Platt.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
Re: WIP 1967 Fairlane Wagon.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 07:56:40 PM »
Had Barry @ Survival build a 482 out of a Marine block I had. Waited for months for the BBM blocks to ship until I couldn't wait any longer and had to use what I had. Picked the motor up at the FE Reunion last year and installed it there at the track. The owner of the track "Beaver Bob" was more than cool with this.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:54:36 AM by Cobrajet2 »
"That guy has got a pocket full of money and a watch full of time!"   Hubert Platt.

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 08:01:16 PM »
   Was there a build thread for your engine? I'm in the process of a 482 and just wondering what your engine and drive train consists of to do mid 11's. Mine will also be going in a wagon, a 68 Colony Park.
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
68 Colony Park 428 C-6
68 Colony Park 390 C-6
70 Cougar Eliminator 351c 4 speed
I don't feel like a hoarder.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 08:18:24 PM »
After the motor and trans were put in at the track, we stopped by the driveshaft shop to have them measure the combination. I did not want any confusion. I had installed the rear and mocked up the Cal Tracs prior to attending the FE Race. However, the C4 was just in for mock up and had not been gone thru yet. So, after the car was measured for the driveshaft, I had to pull the trans back out and send to my local guy. Trans had been in a race car prior, but ended up needing a case and drum.  Bought a good converter and trans was reassembled.  Don't worry, the zip ties in the pictures will be upgraded.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:02:23 PM by Cobrajet2 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »
FirstEliminator, sorry no build thread. It takes me a while to save up for these kinds of things. I had been saving parts for some time. So long ago, that none of the really good aluminum heads were out yet. The Edelbrocks were, but no Survival or BBM's. I have C6AE-R iron heads on this car that were already done. Probably not the best for this size motor, but I can upgrade down the road. I mounted the trans cooler in the cargo area drop off.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:04:05 PM by Cobrajet2 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 08:40:04 PM »
Its hard to believe it has almost been a year working on this thing and I have only gotten this far. We all know life gets in the way of things like this. Spent most of the Summer months going to car shows and family vacation and picking at the Wagon. Towards the end of Fall, I got the frame connectors in and cleaned up the firewall and had to do some rust repair. Had to put a driver's floor pan in it, too.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:44:05 PM by Cobrajet2 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 08:51:40 PM »
Got the car moved inside for the Winter.  Next on the list was the mounting of the really cool Winters shifter that a friend lent to the project. I knew I wanted the shifter to be at comfortable for me, up high mount. I have seen plenty of videos and driven cars where the shifter is mounted to the trans tunnel and you have to drive all hunched over. I wanted the thing up high, and while it looks a little goofy, it works for me. I bent the mount up, and aside from the weight of the thing, I like it.  Seems like every bracket and reinforcement I make ends up putting more weight in the car than things I can find to take weight out of the car.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:45:43 PM by Cobrajet2 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 09:06:40 PM »
My neighbor gave me nice piece of aluminum so in the car it went for my electrical panel. I have to get going on that for sure. The PO of the Wagon turned it in to a 4sp on the floor, hence the repop shifter cover. It is all pop riveted and fiberglassed into the floor and it is actually very rigid. So, rather than open another can of worms, I am just going to leave it there and put a plate over the hole. The hole actually provided some access to underneath the car when getting the shift cable bolted in. Going to go with the factory buckets for now because I like that look. I know they are heavy. I can swap them out down the road if need be.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:50:04 PM by Cobrajet2 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 09:18:28 PM »
So this is where I am now, making up brackets and mounts for the fuel cell, fuel pump and battery. Welded up a battery tray and have some more to do on it and paint it. Measured for the fuel lines today and will hopefully get them ordered this week. "We got a long way to go, and a short time to get there." More to come.....hopefully.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:53:43 PM by Cobrajet2 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 12:04:12 AM »
"We got a long way to go, and a short time to get there."
"We're gonna do what they say can't be done."  :)

Just concentrate on the last line.
Gotta love draggin wagons! Hope to see you and the car at the Reunion.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 01:26:07 AM »
Make progress when you can. I have cars that I bought in the 90's with intent to do something with....and still haven't gotten to them. 
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O
68 Colony Park 428 C-6
68 Colony Park 390 C-6
70 Cougar Eliminator 351c 4 speed
I don't feel like a hoarder.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 05:52:46 AM »
I remember seeing you guys at Beaver putting the motor in.  At first I thought you might get it done to go down the track! I know what your going through trying to get it ready. I`m not bringing the car this year, just going to be there and show off the tunnel port/tunnel ram manifold I built from Jays adapter. Oh ya I`ve been assembling my 64 T Bolt wagon for 10 yrs now, still a ways to go!

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 08:09:01 PM »
Thanks guys.

Mike

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 09:50:19 PM »
Been picking at the Wagon, doing something on it almost every night and quite a bit on the weekends.  Still, it does not look like much has changed since I first posted. I did get the fuel lines run, and they turned out pretty good. Got them routed nice and tight along the frame connector and rear wheel well. I used the Teflon lined hose that was suggested on another forum. 8 AN, but the id is a little smaller with this Teflon hose at just over .400 id. Should be okay for what I am doing, though.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:57:36 PM by Cobrajet2 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 10:03:36 PM »
I got the windshield out to make way for a nice piece of Lexan. What a PITA that butyl tape is to clean up. The window frame is all cleaned up now and just waiting for me to trim and fit the Lexan. Part of me really wants to drill the Lexan and screw it in to the frame like most race cars, and also so I don't have to mess with the butyl again. On the other hand, the sticky black snot would probably take less time and definitely seal out the water. The Lexan I bought is supposed to be preformed, so I will see how well it fits the windshield opening, and then decide which route to go.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:59:22 PM by Cobrajet2 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 10:07:57 PM »
Started on my electrical panel and got some things laid out and secured to it. Still have a few things to add, but I think it will work out well.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:41:56 AM by Cobrajet2 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 10:25:11 PM »
Another Fairlane Racer had a nice factory black steering wheel left over from his build that I was able to purchase. Gonna  run the line lock wiring down through the horn contacts. Made up a little bracket with a button, and it seems good.  Has a good bite on the wheel spoke and should not move around. Using a Falcon horn button instead of the Fairlane horn ring. I think it is a little bit cleaner looking and lends itself to basic functionality for a race car, even though it is not correct for a Fairlane. I have a couple Falcon chrome centers, so drilling a hole in my worst one was not a big deal.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:45:46 AM by Cobrajet2 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »
So here is a picture of where I left off when I posted the first pictures and started this thread. I does not look like much has changed, but the battery box is painted and bolted in, the battery cables are made up and run, there are fuel lines poking through the cargo well and the fuel pump is bolted in and a couple lines run to it. I could have put the fuel cell in, it is ready to go, but I know as soon as I do that, the tank will be in the way of something and I will have to pull it back out. So I am saving that or last. More updates to come, but I feel I am running out of time for the end of April.  Mike

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:43:58 AM by Cobrajet2 »

57 lima bean

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »
I'm sure you know of this wagon.I think its the same car seen at Columbus in the mid 80's.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 09:37:58 PM »
Yep!  Here it is in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TMSu9peyBQ

Mike

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 09:50:02 PM »

Well, I got the new Lexan windshield in, and it looks good. Ended up using a combination of the black snot and some screws. The windshield was not "preformed" enough, and I had to use some tapered screws on the "A" pillars to pull the sides tight against the window frame. I got a good seal. The windshield looks foggy because I still have the protective coating on it. My first time working with the Lexan, and it was not bad at all. looking forward to a nice, clear windscreen.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:49:43 AM by Cobrajet2 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »
I fabbed up a tach mount, and I like where it sits. Hopefully, it does not bounce around too much. If so, I will make up an extra brace.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:51:15 AM by Cobrajet2 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 10:01:28 PM »
Electrical panel is in for the most part. Have to start running the wires. Car will probably not make it to the FE Race. I am just too far behind.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:53:28 AM by Cobrajet2 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 10:10:14 PM »
Couple shots of my fuel lines and regulator in the engine bay. Almost all finished here except for the fuel pressure gauge mounted on the cowl. Have the gauge mounted, just waiting on some more fittings from Summit. Seems I always need one more fitting! Still plugging away at this project, just gonna be out a little later than I had hoped. Don't want to rush it, though.  Mike

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:56:44 AM by Cobrajet2 »

57 lima bean

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 11:37:04 AM »
Hey Mike...You may find it interesting that this car is coming back with the trick old paint.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 02:57:06 PM by 57 lima bean »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 07:11:15 PM »
Hey Mr. Lima Bean,
That is cool news the hear, that the paint will be redone on that old Wagon. I had heard that Cook Racing sold it, but don't know who the new owner is.  Hopefully, it will make it out to a few events for people to check out after it is done.  Neat car, and I guess it has been a race car most of its life!

Mike

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2017, 10:32:19 PM »

I didn't get the Wagon done for the FERR. Just ran out of time.  Went to the show and had a great time just watching and hanging out. Back working on the car, and here are some updates. Got my cowl mounted fuel pressure gauge installed, and it came out good.  Had to order more fittings to make it fit right.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2017, 10:51:27 PM »
Finally got everything installed in the cargo area. Mounted the fuel cell and got all the lines hooked up.  Should be done, for the most part, back here. Fuel system is done.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 11:05:19 PM »
Got the lower bars of the Caltracs installed.  I have had these bars for this car for years. I actually went to install them on the Friday of the FERR and the bars I had all these years were wrong. Bars were too long and I could not get them installed. Made a call to Calvert and they said it can happen (that they send out the wrong length bar).  The fellow at Calvert said he would send out another set, and they arrived exactly when he said they would. I just have to send the old ones back, which I will. Good company to deal with.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 11:24:37 PM »
I never had the coil mounted in a spot that I was happy with. It is a Blaster coil painted black and should be bolted on the front of the left side head, but I have so much other stuff mounted over there, it would look way too congested. So, I switched the alternator mount to a low version, and made up a bracket to mount the coil in front of the R/side cylinder head since there was some space there.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 11:29:43 PM »
Got the line lock plumbed in, just have to wire it up. That's all for now, but getting closer.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »
Wiring is pretty much all done and working good.  Just have to attach one switch panel to the instrument cluster, which is still out of the car. Happy with how it came out.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 09:40:47 PM »
Finally put some tires back on the car to see how the stance looked. This is the third set of springs I have had in the car wrestling with how the car sits. Stock set of Moogs did the trick. Did the Shelby drop on the front suspension, but put a small spacer back in on top of the spring.  The tires I hope to ultimately use on the car are a little taller then these. so the should fill up the fender well good.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 09:57:44 PM »
Got the cooling fan tucked in behind the grill nice and neat.  Had to trim the center grill support a bunch, but it is still bolted in the car to hold the grill.  The fan is a Derale, and moves some air. I made up little brackets for the top and bottom so the fan could be free standing and not mounted directly to the radiator.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2017, 11:24:55 AM »
It has been a while, still working on the car. Got some of its War Paint the other day.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 11:31:29 AM »
Steve, the painter, came back the following weekend to add some highlights that really set off the lettering well.

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2017, 12:45:24 PM »
Very very nice....
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2017, 08:30:39 PM »
Very nice indeed! "Paradise Road", and a reference to my favorite movie..."You got the bitchinest car in the valley"  :)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 10:06:59 AM »
You got it, Doug! I am glad someone gets the reference right off the bat. A lot of younger guys don't get it.

Mike

57 lima bean

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »
Are you keeping the Cragar wheels up front and steels on the back?Cool retro look if so.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »
Yep. Took the Cragars off my hardtop and will keep them on the Wagon, along with the black steelies in the rear. Will run it like this for now.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »
I installed the dash, column, and seats the other night. All went together pretty straight forward. Just have the steering wheel left to install and will get it permanently installed when the car gets aligned.  Switch panel came out good, and I like the location.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 12:20:40 PM »
I have spent a lot of time messing with the fitting of the take off Crites hood. On the car, off the car, on the car, file/sand something and then back on the car. Did it a lot when installing the hood pins. Now doing more because of the carb heat shields and spacers.  Had the hood fitting good, but take away 3/4 inch of hood clearance and all hell breaks loose.  Been doing a lot of trimming. And will have to modify my 2nd carbs air screen, but I think I finally have a combination that will work.

Yep! Deep fryer cooking baskets with the handles cut off.....

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2017, 12:34:19 PM »
Trimmed up the front bumper brackets a little. Actually, they came from a friends' 67 Fairlane race car and were cut short so that the splash pan between the bumper and grill was eliminated, and the bumper mounted much closer to the grill.  I wanted to keep the  splash pan, so I welded some tabs back onto the shortened brackets. Just have to drill some new holes, and I should be good.  Trying to keep the car period correct with most of its' original body parts. No need to cut up my original brackets, since I have the others.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2017, 12:35:39 PM »
So, the next big hurdle will be finding a free weekend to get the car aligned at a friend of a friends' repair shop. Just not enough days in the week.  There are some neat pieces in the front suspension that I hope will work good to transfer some weight on launch.  Roller bearings in the spring perches, along with the Shelby Drop of the upper control arms.  Eccentric eliminator kits in the lower control arms and Calvert drag shocks.  Upper control arms are well greased and more very freely, and Global West adjustable strut rods to help eliminate the bind you can get with the factory rubber bushings.  Hopefully, it all works together. It is about all I can think of. 

Just waiting on the alignment, throw the interior back in the car, some more weight reduction, apply some decals and some other odds and ends, then maybe start making some test passes.  Getting closer.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »
Can't wait to see how the roller suspension works.
The fry baskets are awesome BTW.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2017, 10:32:30 AM »
Thanks, Marc.  Ordered the baskets right off the internet from a big restaurant supply place. Some may laugh, but they work perfect for what I wanted.  The rear one ran into a height issue, but I will fix it!

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »
They wont be laughing when they read "aloha" on the gate. ;)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks, Marc.  Ordered the baskets right off the internet from a big restaurant supply place. Some may laugh, but they work perfect for what I wanted.  The rear one ran into a height issue, but I will fix it!
i used a single basket on my 428 about a year ago.it must be more common than i thought.all i had to do was cut off the handle.and it fit good
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2017, 09:53:44 AM »
Finally got the car out on the track. Not my video and Warning! There are other makes and models, but this is the Nostalgia Class I am trying to run. You have to hang out to about the 2.40 minute mark to see "Paradise Road," but turn up the volume. It is a cool video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_vcChGup3s

So now, with 8 passes under my belt, it looks like I will have to put a roll bar in it. I honestly did not think it would E.T. as well as it did. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for installing a roll bar kit? Got one on order from S&W. Gonna try to get it in the car by the next race.   More to come....

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »
Finally got the car out on the track. ...

So now, with 8 passes under my belt, it looks like I will have to put a roll bar in it. I honestly did not think it would E.T. as well as it did. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for installing a roll bar kit? Got one on order from S&W. Gonna try to get it in the car by the next race.   More to come....

Sorry about that ET deal.  Did not mean for that to happen  ;D

57 lima bean

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2017, 12:53:08 PM »
LOL........Sad when to much power is delivered.The wagon looked great!!!.The one from Mn.should be out of the booth soon.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »
Nice going, Mike! Looks like everything was working smooth. Did you have to make any adjustments to the CalTracs, or did you get lucky, because it looked to launch real straight and smooth? Did they force you to stop racing because of the ET?

Congrats on a successful outing, and a really cool car! Can't wait to see it at the FE R&R next year.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2017, 09:21:46 PM »
I have not tinkered or fine tuned anything yet. Still getting used to the car, but everything seems to be working well. I have not touched the Cal Tracs since the day I put them on.  Top pin is just touching the leaf spring.

I entered 2 classes the day of the video just to get some seat time.  I was backing off on the big end in the beginning because I did not want to get tossed before I got some passes in. The last couple passes, I stayed in it!

Mike

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2017, 09:28:22 PM »
Finally got the car out on the track. ...

Sorry about that ET deal.  Did not mean for that to happen  ;D

Not complaining, Barry. The car is doing just what I wanted it to do!

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2017, 06:35:08 AM »
Congrats Mike, that thing is cool as hell.
Lotta nice cars around your neck of the woods.
Love that your setup was so good that you didn't have to monkey with to much.
Congrats on that.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »
Thanks, Marc.  Hope to see some video of your Fairlane when it is done.  We do have a good group of Nostalgia type race cars in our area, which is what I enjoy the most.

Mike

70cj428

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2017, 11:17:03 PM »
Since Mike is pretty busy and I just rediscovered my password here I figured I'd post an update on his build..... (Hope I don't piss him off  ;D )

Mike was hoping for 11:50's , first time out at maple grove the car ran 10.95, took car home and put a rollbar and good belts in, Next time out car ran 10.98 @119 before blowing a head gasket between 5 and 6  :( , pulled it apart and reassembled it with Cometics, and was rewarded with a 10.84 @119 at MIR last weekend. Car hooks great and consistently pulls an 18-24" wheelstands. Not bad for a 3400 lb wagon running ported C6AE-R iron heads.

Mike should be proud as he put a ton of time and effort into this car ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91LWi5xfhFE
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:54:43 PM by 70cj428 »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2017, 06:50:48 AM »
I have not tinkered or fine tuned anything yet. Still getting used to the car, but everything seems to be working well. I have not touched the Cal Tracs since the day I put them on.  Top pin is just touching the leaf spring.

I entered 2 classes the day of the video just to get some seat time.  I was backing off on the big end in the beginning because I did not want to get tossed before I got some passes in. The last couple passes, I stayed in it!

Mike

Good that you didn't fool with the Cal-Tracs! That car hooks!
Bob Maag

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2018, 03:51:23 PM »
Thanks to my Friend, "Spence", who helps me immensely with the car for posting the pic from MIR. Post all you want, John. Now that the Holidays are on their way out, I figured I would pick up this thread with some updates I need to do over the Winter. Experimenting with some pictures first off. Not my pics

Next to last race in 2017. Went 10.76 @ 120 mph, at Atco in great air.

From Cecil County, the last time I had the car out in 2017. MPH and ET were off, but the weather was overcast and it actually started to
drizzle as we left the track.

Another from Cecil County.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2018, 04:01:32 PM »
Great pics.
How's your front end holding up ;D
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »
Yeah, ha! Front end is taking some hits. So far, so good. I will get the alignment rechecked in the Spring, and give the front suspension a good, hard look then.  When we shaved the shock towers, I took the extra time to weld up a lot of the overlapping seams that were just spot welded.

I see you are neck deep in your Mustang. If you happen to show your Fairlane some love, be sure to post your progress.

Mike

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »
I will. I'm kinda horny to get back at it but as you see I'm knee deep.
But congrats again on a great car.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2018, 04:53:58 PM »
Thanks, Marc. Have a good 2018. I will look forward to your posts.

Since I am in a posting mood, and this is back-tracking a little bit, but, here are some pictures of that nasty blown head gasket.  At the time, John and I were pretty focused on getting the car back up and running, and I had no time to post. But, since I am here, sitting on the couch on New Year's Day, here ya go.

This was after only 11 passes. I have about 30 on the car now!

Sucked! But it is fixed now.

Mike

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2018, 05:06:51 PM »
Well when you blow a gasket you do it well.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2018, 09:53:40 AM »
 :(  Wow, that is a major torch job on the gasket! What do you attribute it too? 
Bob Maag

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »
Bob,
Not really sure why it did not seal between 5 and 6 holes. We have some theories, but not positive.  All the other thin sections of the gaskets were holding pressure, however, a few were starting to look questionable with blackness around the sealing rings.  We replaced the Fel Pro gaskets with Cometics, and hopefully they will hold up. I hear they can seep a little when the motor sits, so I have my block drained over the Winter storage.

Open to any ideas why it blew so bad.

Thanks,
Mike

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2018, 03:05:31 PM »
On a hunch and w/o any apparent piston/wall damage, it looks like the head bolts backed out, which is unlikely. That or your torque wrench oddly supplied a way too low reading, odd too that it didn't affect ALL the bolts on that head, let alone the other side. Can't be a lean issue (pistons look way too good) and unless you run laughing gas (!) can't be that either. Perhaps still a mystery.

Fell a sleep once long ago while bolting on a pan. Next a.m. got the willies as to whether I had torqued correctly all the rod,main, pump bolts! Off with the pan but all was good. Learned to record all the steps with paper and pen!

Bob Maag

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2018, 03:33:54 PM »
That one piston has some pepper looking stuff on the top.  Possible that it went lean for a minute - a bit of garbage catching a jet or bleed - an air bubble in the fuel line even could've done it though less likely - that runner is the far from center and it won't share from the plenum as much as others might if something happens.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2018, 07:43:08 AM »
I think Barry nailed it.

I had not clicked on the pic for a larger image but now that piston top does look pebbley (?) for lack of a better word. Lean would do it. Now I wonder if a ring land/ring also caught some damage.
Bob Maag

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2018, 08:49:42 AM »
Its faster than before so it aint hurtin'

Its not that wild of a build - car is working well

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2018, 08:59:15 AM »
I very much enjoy when you guys that do this for a living see things that us hobbyists just gloss over and miss. For instance the "peppering" on top of that piston. Easy to see once you know it's there, but totally missed it when I first looked at it as my attention went to the gasket area.
Thanks for pointing that out Barry, it helps us guys be just a little smarter.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2018, 09:03:26 AM »
What a cool ride, I love the look and the big wheelstand

I'd expect with the looks of the picture that you either are running it a little lean, a little too much timing or had some gas that wasn't what you thought it was.  I doubt it was the gasket's fault as Barry said, looks like it was hammering a little.  If you pulled a couple degrees of total out, think it would slow way down?  Might give you a little insurance
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »
Ross,
Yes, I think we will look at both things for next year. Plan to test the car before the FE Race in April. Probably throw a little jet at it and see what it does. The timing is not crazy. Pretty sure Barry set it at 34, as that is where the dyno said the motor was happiest.

Possibly the hard wheelstands are interfering with the fuel in the bowls. We will check that, also. Thing never seems to miss a beat on a pass, though. Like Barry said, possibly lean for just a split second or two.

I am all about finding a little insurance, though! Have way more fun racing it, than fixing it.  But like my friend John says, "Its a race car, fixing it is part of the deal."

Mike

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2018, 10:56:12 PM »
So, now that the Holidays are over, one of the things I need to do with the Wagon is a gear change.  Car rpm's a little high through the lights, so we are going to tinker with it. Ordered some parts and I am starting to get things together to build another whole center section. One of the parts I did have already was the gear set. The gears came out of a center section that was in my '70 Mustang that we raced in a Factory Appearing class.

This past Sunday, I pulled the carrier out of the old pumpkin and figured I would knock off the ring gear real quick and get something accomplished.  Well, what should have taken two minutes turned into two hours. Being how we raced the Mustang on reproduction biased ply tires, I only ever had a mini-spool in the that diff. When the ring gear refused to come off the carrier, I realized the pin had broken in two places and the pieces had wedged themselves between the ring gear and the mini-spool. Had to cut it all apart to save the ring gear.  Lesson learned, back on track.