Author Topic: '68 Mustang Coupe Drag Car  (Read 23001 times)

hbstang

• View Profile
Re: '68 Mustang Coupe Drag Car
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2021, 07:33:34 PM »
really nice project and high quality workmanship.
can you tell me is that an elimimator fuel pump you are using?how do they work with carbs?are they quiet and streetable?

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2021, 08:39:07 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

The dyno headers were made by REF. We called him up and asked if he could make a set because the FE headers that our local shop has don't have the EGT bungs, only have the O2, and they are smaller diameter. We also had kind of a crude setup for the run stand, those were Galaxie headers flipped upside down. These headers should work for both dyno and our run stand. They are 2" all the way, no step. They may not be optimal for all applications, but we needed a one-size-fits-all set.

The fuel tank is an Aeromotive deal. Ordered the tank complete. It works with carbs and EFI, just have to run the correct regulator at the front of the car. We haven't run it yet so I can't say how loud it is. In this case I wasn't worried about noise at all, but I thought the in-tank pump made packaging much nicer.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2021, 08:45:51 AM »
The car is back at my place! Wiring done and the new front valence was reworked and painted. Transmission should be here today or tomorrow. I have about a weeks worth of random things to button up (like fuel system) then the car goes up to my uncles shop where the engine/trans will be dropped in.

Next Saturday the maroon '69 Fairlane on the lift is going away. It's an original 428 cobra jet car, the numbers matching standard bore engine is sitting underneath the shelf to the left. The guy who we got it from wanted it back really badly, and we weren't going to get it built anytime soon. He is local to us so it will be fun to see it all together and on the road.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2021, 08:35:36 PM »
Excited to see it done!

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2021, 10:25:12 AM »
The holidays afforded me some more time to pick away at the Mustang. I have about 1 days worth of work at my place and it is going to get hauled off to my uncle Bob's shop. I'll take a day and completely clean out the workshop and pull something else in. We'll do the engine and trans at Bob's house.

Things I need to complete this week: Hang fuel lines under car, weld out shock brackets on rear of car and paint, change out front tie rods, mount catch can.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mike7570

« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2021, 02:22:36 PM »
Really coming out nice!

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2021, 08:53:28 PM »
Yes coming out real nice. What’s with the motor mounts they are kinda funky lookin. Whatever happened to the motor getting dynoed with the different intakes
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 09:02:05 PM by Stangman »

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2021, 01:10:36 PM »
Thanks guys!

Yes coming out real nice. What’s with the motor mounts they are kinda funky lookin. Whatever happened to the motor getting dynoed with the different intakes

The motor mounts came with the car. They are solid fairly lightweight fabricated mounts. I just tossed the bolt through them and placed them there for now so they don't get lost. Engine had some trouble on the dyno. We ordered new pistons and rings for it, waiting on those to come in and we'll try over again. One step forward two steps back.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2021, 08:14:32 PM »
Sorry to hear about motor is that the new one with the cut divider. Hopefully it will all be good soon.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2022, 10:47:00 AM »
It was cold here yesterday and I didn't have any motivation to go out to the cold side of the barn and work on anything so I found this to mess with. Fuel, valve cover breather, and water pump braided line material should be here within a day or two and I'll go ahead and make those pieces while I have some time. Will make it go together faster when the engine is ready. 

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2022, 12:16:18 AM »
Carbs fit under that scoop?

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2022, 04:57:04 PM »
They fit perfect! Tunnelport intakes are shorter than you would figure, within a 1/4" height of a medium riser 2x4 C7ZX intake. I need to make one small cut in the back of the opening because the rear vent tube touches it. The hood wont go down with those blue and black carb hats on there.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2022, 07:54:15 PM »
Any news on the engine?

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2022, 04:22:50 PM »
Yeah I have a bit of news, most is good.....

Got the engine block back from Madcap, they bored and honed it out to 4.31". We did this because the most readily available ring size we could find was a 4.31" big block Chevy setup. So this is a 496" engine now. The bottom end is ready to final clean and assemble now.

The heads are under the knife....they wouldn't hold a pressure test, were leaking from the intake seats. We have a guy in Fort Collins that is going to fix them and do a valve job. Hopefully get those buttoned up within a few weeks and we can assemble this thing.

I'd love to hear it run by August.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2022, 02:51:37 AM »
I thought this was a Blair Patrick engine? What happened with it?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 03:00:58 PM by bobb428 »