Author Topic: '68 Mustang Coupe Drag Car  (Read 23100 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: '68 Mustang Coupe Drag Car
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2021, 08:49:57 AM »

That looks da business!  Car is coming along great  :D
[/quote]

Thanks Bill! Bunch of painting the interior this weekend and we should be able to bolt a bunch of parts on!
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

ron bidstrup

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2021, 05:16:54 PM »
where did you get the adjustable quick release shock tower braces?  i need a set of those.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2021, 08:36:01 AM »
where did you get the adjustable quick release shock tower braces?  i need a set of those.

Ron, these were on the car when we got it. From looking at it, I would guess that it was a custom made deal.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2021, 03:59:47 PM »
Here is a before/after of the trunk.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

JohnN-1BADFE

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2021, 06:18:43 PM »
Looking good Mike!  Ken and I were talking about seeing if you would be around and available for us to come up this weekend....

John
67 Fairlane GT - 390/451 stroker - 654HP / 552TQ

67 Fairlane S/W - 390/458 stroker with tri-power - 515HP / 595TQ

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2021, 10:20:42 PM »
Hey John! I should be around on Saturday. Actually, we're thinking of going to the race Saturday night at CNS. They have the "King of the Wings" race, the 410 sprint cars and then fireworks after. I'll text you guys.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2021, 09:20:11 AM »
Alright guys, I'm back at it! The last couple months have been completely booked for me, my wedding, a friends wedding, and moving my Grandpa. The Mustang has gotten almost zero attention. I'm hoping to thrash real hard at it for the next week or two and have it ready to take to my buddies house so he can do all the wiring (he's one of those odd people that enjoy vehicle wiring).

This weekend I took a few hours and replaced some of the old light fluorescent light bulbs with LED retrofit bulbs. These have been sitting around for quite a while and I figured I'd at least do the fixtures near the Mustang for a bit better lighting.

I also have the gauge panel ready to mount up. Once the dash is painted later this week I will get it installed.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2021, 10:53:53 AM »
(he's one of those odd people that enjoy vehicle wiring).

Strange friends sure do come in handy!!  Congrats on the nuptials, Mike.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

jmlay

• View Profile
Mike

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2021, 12:23:42 PM »
Spot on, on the SW gauges.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2021, 01:10:55 PM »
Haha, thanks guys!

Once the interior is done and put back together and the car is wired, the portion of work at my house is complete and we'll take it up to my uncles for engine and trans. His shop is much better equipped for that.

After that, back on my '62 Galaxie anddddd........I hope to pull the '68 Cougar out of my uncles and bring it to my place, set it where the Mustang currently is. That'll be another project thread  ;D
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2021, 02:21:33 PM »
We had a pretty good weekend of progress. Started with painting the dash, then cage, next will be floor. A friend of ours told us he painted the under-side of the dash white on his car to make working under there easier, I thought it was a good idea so we tried it here. That made things take a little longer because it required an extra step of masking and added time to dry, but we'll see how we like it. I shined a light under there just to see if it was worth anything and I think it's noticeably brighter.

In between watching paint dry I fooled with the dash trim, we had an old 428 cobra jet pin and my uncle had the idea to replace the red mustang logo with it. Turned out fairly well!

Tonight the roll cage should be dry and I can mask it and finish up the interior paint on the floor. Carpet/seats/seatbelts will be tomorrow night.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2021, 09:38:53 AM »
Got a little more done. The passenger seat is intentionally left out for now until wiring is done. If you have a good eye, you can see the wiring panel on the passenger kick panel. I'll keep chugging at it tonight, get a bunch of parts mounted up (switch panel, gauges, MSD box, etc). Hoping to load it up and get it out of the shop by Friday night!

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

JohnN-1BADFE

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2021, 03:34:15 PM »
Do you need me and Ken to come up to cut a hole in the trans tunnel for the 4-speed?   :P
67 Fairlane GT - 390/451 stroker - 654HP / 552TQ

67 Fairlane S/W - 390/458 stroker with tri-power - 515HP / 595TQ

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2021, 05:02:41 PM »
Do you need me and Ken to come up to cut a hole in the trans tunnel for the 4-speed?   :P

HA! We have too many things to work on as-is, I don't need to be fixing the 4-speed aftermath on this car all the time! This car was a 4-speed at one point in it's life, so there is a shifter hole in the floor with a blank cover that we made for it. Also has the proper pedal assembly but with the 3rd pedal removed. Maybe someday......

Haley is gone in Africa with her family so I'm home with the dogs for 2 more weeks (this is why I have been getting things done). You guys should stop up. Saturday I'm free all day and then I'm going to watch a friend Saturday night at CNS race his legend car.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com