Author Topic: '68 Mustang Coupe Drag Car  (Read 22522 times)

mike7570

Re: '68 Mustang Coupe Drag Car
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 07:06:43 PM »
By the way Mike, Bob is a good resource for the stock class stuff! Not sure if you've met him.
No I haven't met him yet, maybe after I get the car on the track we will cross paths. I was looking at the wheels up launch he posted of Richie's (Your New) car. Other than the Wheelie bar my car looks almost identical underneath, does it have the Shelby drop?
If it wasn't for your tunnel port going in there we could set up a newbie B/SA match race. As it is you need to spot me 3-4 tenths.  :D

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2021, 11:04:41 AM »
By the way Mike, Bob is a good resource for the stock class stuff! Not sure if you've met him.
No I haven't met him yet, maybe after I get the car on the track we will cross paths. I was looking at the wheels up launch he posted of Richie's (Your New) car. Other than the Wheelie bar my car looks almost identical underneath, does it have the Shelby drop?
If it wasn't for your tunnel port going in there we could set up a newbie B/SA match race. As it is you need to spot me 3-4 tenths.  :D

I am the guy on FB that has the NHRA S/SS & Cobra Jet groups.

mike7570

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2021, 03:50:28 PM »

I am the guy on FB that has the NHRA S/SS & Cobra Jet groups.

I'm not on FB very often, I'll take a look around to see if I can find it. Have seen your post over on ClassRacer.

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2021, 03:57:54 PM »
Mike, I would assume her dad was/is Joe Novak. Can you ask her if she could scale the COBRA JET down to 2-3/4" tall? That scoop on there is a 69/70 that came on a lot of non Ram Air models. A lot of people throw them on 68's because they look really similar but have a few different measurements. On the 68's they were all open since they were all Ram Air cars. Finding a real 68 scoop starts around 2,500 and up when they do show up.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2021, 09:29:44 AM »
We received the new wheel & tire setup this weekend, had to get them slapped on immediately! Richie gave us all the wheel dimensions, they worked out just right.

I am detailing the engine compartment now, should have that done by the end of the week and then I can put the whole front end back on and start focusing on the interior.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2021, 09:31:27 AM »
Would love to see your engine room detail.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2021, 03:04:09 PM »
Would love to see your engine room detail.

I'll snap some pictures while I'm at it. I'm half way done already, stayed up wayyy too late on Saturday night sanding and priming. Then I did nothing yesterday because I stayed up too late  ;D
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2021, 04:03:26 PM »
What kind of ET times are you expecting or would like to see with this combo ? Should scoot and looks fabulous

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2021, 05:34:42 PM »
I'd hate to toss out ET's and be sadly disappointed! I don't have a good feel for what it will run just yet, I guess that depends on how big of a fight it gives us before we get it sorted out!

My uncles old drag car, '64 Fairlane with about 75hp less than this ran 11.20 fairly consistently at Bandimere (5800 ft elevation). I think it weighed 3300 pounds. We're expecting this car to be a little faster than that if we can get it set up. This should put us in the proper range for running with the nostalgia guys out here. They have a 9.50-12.50 range that they like the cars to run in.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2021, 08:56:26 PM »
I hear you on that but figured you had a good idea , my bet is it’s impressive  . The ET number game has sure hurt feelings over the years  . Forgot about the high elevation there , my car wouldn’t need a roll bar at your track , lol

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2021, 01:01:33 PM »
Based on what the Fairlane use to run, I was hoping it would run mid-high 10's here. At a sea level track maybe, just maybe, fight it's way into a 9.99 pass. The first few times out I won't expect much out of it. We'll have some learning to do.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2021, 07:37:47 PM »
Hey Mike, let me know when it's complete and I will come up and get some pics for you!

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2021, 12:22:43 PM »
Hey Mike, let me know when it's complete and I will come up and get some pics for you!

That would be awesome! I'll keep you updated.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2021, 01:14:10 PM »
Here's an instrument cluster update. We were able to get SW gauges stuck into the top holes and stuck in, an oil pressure light, and shift light. I looked up factory tachs for it and couldn't believe the expense of them, they are starting to get outrageous! Because of that, we blanked out the right hand hole and will mount up a tach on the steering column that sits in front of that hole.

Here's what the dash looked like when we got the car. Tach was mounted off of a plate that took place of the center dash trim panel. We'll be sticking that center trim panel back in.

We have a radio delete plate for it. More gauges will go in under the dash (trans temp, oil temp, volts).

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mike7570

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2021, 02:28:42 PM »
Mike, we think alike
I'm just trying to figure out how to put an AutoMeter tach in the speedometer opening.

can't get picture to post

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 02:40:51 PM by mike7570 »