Author Topic: What is the best gun you have?  (Read 7414 times)

plovett

What is the best gun you have?
« on: April 19, 2021, 05:14:42 PM »
Maybe I should title this "ode to my 'lil Ruger".   ;D  The reason I am posting this, I am up to 9 guns between my girl and myself.  I went to the range Sunday and shot all of them.   What struck me is maybe my best gun is one of my cheapest.  It just kind of surprised me.  It is my little Ruger LCP.   It is the old version, not the LCP II.   It is cheap, plain, non-exciting, not super powerful.   Just dull from looking at the spec's.   However it is one of my favorites.  It reminds me of a SBC or Windsor SBF.   It is not a Hemi or 427 Tunnel Port, or L88.   It just "gets you to the store".  Hell, it's mostly plastic (polymer).

BUT, it has never once jammed with probably getting near 1000 rounds through it.  FMJ, HP, +P, etc.  It is very small, yet I can get two fingers on the grip which is enough   The ergonomics are good.   I can shoot it well. On the other hand my Kahr CM45 makes me look like a chump.   The LCP  has a reputation for being snappy because it is so light for a .380.  I don't find it that way.  I have a .380 Seecamp and it makes me bleed after a few shots, either my trigger finger or the web of my thumb or both.

I have guns smaller and bigger, from .22's to .45's, guns costing 3-4 times a much, but that little Ruger is just well engineered and well built.

So, the question is, what is your favorite gun? 

And no, I have no affiliation with Ruger.   I own S&W's, Kahr, NAA, and others. 

paul

475fetoploader

• View Profile
Re: What is the best gun you have?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 05:30:00 PM »
Sig p229 in .40 for hand gun.
Colt m4 carbine
Aero precision 6.5 Creedmor
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 05:30:39 PM »
Funny you bring up the not the big name aspect.
My favorite is a Taurus, stainless Barretta rip off 9mm. No “knock down power”, not the original maker, as a matter of fact a supposedly (some say, not me) inferior maker. But it fits my hand like no other. It’s shoots beautifully. It’s gorgeous. It runs and runs. I love it.
I love my S and W’s too (they’re wonderful) but when you say favorite, I think of that pistol.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 05:33:12 PM »
Best concealed carry is my Sig P365.

Best rifle is my Savage 112 target in .338 Lapua.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 05:39:09 PM »
.338 Lapua.   I’m really interested in one, it’s impractical if you’re not already established in the caliber,  with the current climate we’re in however. I like the idea of the Savage.

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 05:41:42 PM »
Oops, I forgot.  Springfield M-1 Garand. Piece of history that always goes bang. It’s extremely comfortable to shoot.

Tom Gahman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 05:56:23 PM »
I'll second the M1 Garand and my Colt 1911

machyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 06:35:11 PM »
Handgun, Glock Model 19. I know, I know. Long rifle, I love, I mean really love my Mini-14!

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 06:40:53 PM »
The gun that I enjoy shooting most is my stainless Rugar old army, so I guess that is my favorite.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 06:53:22 PM »
 Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting 12ga sporting clays shotgun, or my LC Smith 3E 12ga made in 1912

plovett

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 07:08:24 PM »
Some neat guns for sure guys!  I guess I just surprised myself in that one of my favorites is one of my most mundane, unimposing, and practical guns.  It is well made, but it wouldn't be considered exciting by any means.  And it isn't worth much.

My dad in law has a .50 BFR pistol and while it is a hoot to shoot, I don't think I'd want one.

I shot an M1 about 15 years ago.  I liked it.  It kicked harder than I thought it would.  I shot an AR15 at the same time and it didn't "feel" as good.

Anyway, they are interesting machines.  As in cars and engines we can appreciate the thought, knowledge, and skill that goes into making them.

I want to hear some more......

paul

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 07:26:22 PM »
Going along with the LCP theme of cheap and fun, I really enjoyed my Remington Nylon 66. Would love to find one now but they are too expensive for what they are.
Agree with the Mini-14 as well.

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 07:30:01 PM »
S&W M&P 9mm with an Apex aluminum trigger and short reset sear kit is my most accurate centerfire handgun.  My Ruger Redhawk 41 magnum is another favorite along with my S&W 4013TSW 40 caliber.  Favorite rifles are my Savage Model 12VLP in .204 Ruger caliber; 8.5-25x50 Leupold, and my Winchester 70 7mm Rem Mag with a Leupold 4.5-14x40.  Both of these scopes have the CDS (custom dial system) that are matched to my handloads.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 11:35:36 PM »
In terms of what do I lay hands on most often, it's a toss-up between my Colt Combat Commander, the shorter version of the 1911, redone to my liking some years ago by a 'smith now gone from us. On the other hand, I've somewhat replaced it with a Kimber Ultra CDP II several years ago. It's most likely to go in the Wilson IWB when I go out. The only things I've done to that is to replace the trigger with a bit lighter one, and install a Bar-Sto 5" barrel. It sticks out the slide by two inches and is MagnaPorted. Taking weight off the muzzle settles it into my hand a bit better. Both are in .45 and wear Crimson Trace red laser grips. With either I carry an off-side Wilson double magazine carrier that matches the holster. The carry-in-the-gun magazine is a Kim-Pro that holds seven, which with one up the spout makes 8. The magazine carrier has 8 round Kim-Pros so I have 24 rounds with me.

Mt favorite rifle is a Ruger #1 in .45-70. It, too, is MagnaPorted to help keep the muzzle down. Depending, I may load it with black powder---actually a compressed load of pistol-grade Pyrodex---and a 405 grain self-cast linotype slug or one of a number of jacketed possibilities if shooting smokeless.

When I was an inner-city landlord in Detroit, I had a MAC 10 that made the rounds with me when I was collecting rents. I had 76 units.

KS
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:39:22 PM by cammerfe »

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 02:17:47 AM »
Was at the range the other day for a Civilian Marksmanship Program match with M1 Carbines. While there Mrs.-T and I had opportunity to shoot a few M1 Garands and Mrs.-T thinks that we MUST get one. I must admit the Garand fit me pretty good and didn't kick as hard as other rifles I've shot in 30-06. Very sweet indeed.

As far as pistols go, Mrs.-T's S&W .357 Magnum 6" stainless is by far my favorite. While we have semi-auto's, give me a wheel gun any time. If I'm going to a remote place off roading or camping I'll take my Taurus .38 revolver. Nothing fancy, just goes bang when you pull the trigger.

And yes, we still have our guns and gun ranges in SoCal.