Author Topic: What is the best gun you have?  (Read 7415 times)

Dan859

• View Profile
Re: What is the best gun you have?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 03:46:58 AM »
Hi Everybody,
A long, long time ago, in another life, I was an LEO.  My favorite handgun to shoot is my (as issued) S&W Frame 681.  I never did anything to it other than clean it regularly.  It's the most accurate factory handgun I've ever owned.  For many years I was a firearms instructor.  When we would have range qualifications, we used to have "Instructor Proficiency" practice.  We'd shoot 6 bowling pins at 50 yards, offhand, double action.  Loser would buy lunch for the other instructors that day.  My Smith used to "stage" the trigger in double action; you could feel just the slightest tic, just before the hammer dropped.  It was almost like shooting single action.  I never knocked over less than 4 bowling pins, and I never bought lunch.  I bought it on a buyback program when we switched to semi-autos.  My favorite carry weapon is my Colt Officer's model.  It's small enough and light enough that it's not too difficult to carry and it's fairly easy to carry concealed.  It's not a lot of fun to shoot, but it carries 7 rounds of .45 ACP. 
My favorite rifle was a Savage 110 in .243.  I bought it because I'm left-handed, and Savage had left-hand 110's.  It had a really clean adjustable trigger, and would shoot less than 1 inch at 100 yards.  Assuming I didn't screw up the shot)).  I had to sell it to pay for college, and I've regretted it ever since.  A couple years ago, I ordered a custom built Mauser 98 left hand, built by a really outstanding gunsmith I know.  It'll be in 6.5 x 55, with all the bells and whistles.  I take delivery of it in June, and I have very high hopes for it.  It may become my new favorite rifle.   
My favorite shotgun is my Winchester 1400; left handed, semi-auto, with a skeet barrel.  I shot skeet for several years with it.   It swung nicely and smoothly, and I never had any problems with it.  It was also my hunting shotgun.  I couldn't shoot ducks and geese with the skeet choke, but it was great for rabbits, pheasants, and grouse.  It also shoots Brenneke slugs well, so I use it for deer hunting.  I bought it in 1974, and I still have it.  Never once have I had a problem with it, and I've shot thousands of rounds through it.
I have a fair collection of guns, and I've owned some other nice ones over the years, but those are my favorites.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 06:34:13 AM »
My favorite shotgun was a Beretta 390. 

Used to shoot a lot of trap and skeet growing up.  My dad used to shoot 20k rounds a year between trap and skeet.  I didn't like it that much....hahaha

My dad bought me a S&W 617 revolver when I was 14.  I still have it.  It's a .22 on a .357 frame, 6" barrel, target hammer, target trigger.  It's a nail driver.

All of you who shoot on a regular basis know how big the area I was aiming at in this picture is.  This was off-hand, first light at the indoor range. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 06:55:15 AM »
My Rockola M1 .30 carbine.Sweet. As for handgun, Ruger .357 mag. Blackhawk single action with a very lightly sprung trigger. My EVERYDAY carry is a cheap and dirty Phoenix  .22 semi.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 07:39:24 AM »
My favorite rifle, is my M1 Garand, and favorite pistol is my Ruger 1911, but my Browning 1911 380 is a very close second.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 08:09:57 AM »
My best rifle is a M1A with a sage mod 0 stock, chrome barrel and a lot of other mods for long range shooting. I carried a M14 in Nam and absolutly love that rifle.
My best shooting pistol is an 1858 remington revolver I converted to 45 ACP and that is very accurate and a blast to shoot.
Greg

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 08:19:20 AM »
"Best" is such an arbirtrary term when it comes to firearms, but the theme of this topic reminded me of a pretty good gun saying.

"Beware of the man who owns just one gun...for he probably knows how to use it."

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2021, 08:24:00 AM »
Favorite shot gun, Remington 1100, do they make anything else? Rifle , im a big handi rifle fan. I have several , but the 204 ruger is my favorite . Id like to buy one in 25-06 to see how it shots. Hand gun is my 638 SW , im like tommy i like a wheel gun!

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 09:10:28 AM »
I have a few and don't get to the range very often, but so far the Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmor has been the most enjoyable and second to that would be my Springfield EMP40 Micro 1911. Still have yet to test my 8.5" 300 BO pistol but hope to soon. With the ammo in short supply I don't want to waste any needlessly as I don't reload. 

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2021, 09:24:09 AM »
second to that would be my Springfield EMP40 Micro 1911.

Great, now I need to buy a new gun. Didn't know there was a Small frame 1911 in 9MM.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 09:27:31 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:34:14 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 09:34:04 AM »

Of course all of the above guns were lost in a boating accident several years ago, so now I just use a slingshot and ball bearings  ;D

Happened to you as well? We must have the same luck.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 10:11:47 AM »
... Mrs.-T's S&W .357 Magnum 6" stainless is by far my favorite.

Remind me to never cross Mrs. T!  That's quite a handgun. 
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 10:31:28 AM »
... Mrs.-T's S&W .357 Magnum 6" stainless is by far my favorite.

Remind me to never cross Mrs. T!  That's quite a handgun.

I bought that pistol for her after we'd been married for 1 year. My friends really ribbed me about it saying "you can't step out on her now". Not only that, I call if I'm coming home late. Something sexy about a gal when you come inside the house and smell cleaning solvent and she has her gun broken down on the kitchen table. She also has a Rossi Model 94 lever action in .357 Magnum.

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2021, 10:44:39 AM »
second to that would be my Springfield EMP40 Micro 1911.

Great, now I need to buy a new gun. Didn't know there was a Small frame 1911 in 9MM.
Be prepared, they are pricey. I got mine used from Cabelas gun vault and it was still around $800.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 10:53:32 AM »
My friends really ribbed me about it saying "you can't step out on her now".

"So tell me punk... Do you feel lucky??"
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.