Author Topic: My Mustang needs a radiator overflow tank. Would like an OEM look.  (Read 2175 times)

Clark Coe

• View Profile
My '68 Mustang needs a radiator overflow tank. I am tired the puked antifreeze on the garage floor after running it hard while tuning my carburetor/distributor. The coolant level is just above the top of the cooling tubes, but every once in a while, it will develop an air bubble and burp up on the garage floor.

I do not want a shiny aluminum billet tube tank or a gaudy chrome tank. My engine compartment is not concours,but I am looking for a factory look. I ground off the Edelbrock logo on my Streetmaster and aluminum water pump and painted them Ford blue. Chrome air cleaner, Powered by Ford valve covers and dip stick.

Are there any factory OEM tanks that would have a 1960's - 1970's look to them, that would fit in the under-hood space of a 1968 Mustang?

Clark

Rory428

• View Profile
Re: My Mustang needs a radiator overflow tank. Would like an OEM look.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 06:39:13 PM »
Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but my 78-80 Fairmonts had a whitish clear plastic windshield washer reservoir/pump with a coolant reservoir chamber next to it, with a single black lid.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 06:43:14 PM »
This is what I have. I guess it doesn't exactly have an OEM look but it is low key and does the job.
 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-300100b

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 10:47:30 PM »
I wanted to keep a somewhat factory appearance as you, so I repurposed the factory washer bag as my overflow. I capped off the fitting in the bottom of the bag and added a mini zip tie to make sure it doesn't come off. I also drilled a 3/16" hole for a vent in the top of the neck and drilled the cap to accept a grommet for the tube. I ran out of time last year to install my custom bent 5/16" hard line(brake tubing) from the rad. to overflow. I just ran a piece of clear nylon tubing to get it going. The tube does reach to the bottom of the bag, to make it recirculating. I am running a Ford Racing 16lb cap.

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 08:38:30 AM »
While it is not an OEM look, everybody around here safety wired a beer can to the side of the radiator. You will however, need to find a period correct one for the proper vintage look. 16 oz works the best. These days I use diet soda ones. :'(
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 01:50:45 PM »
We use this one on our '67 Mustang and '68 Cougar. It totally blends in, never really notice it. Powder Coated it black. It fits right next to the radiator.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/radiator-overflow-tank-polished-stainless-steel-2-x-17-28-oz/p/ROFT15/

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Clark Coe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 11:16:09 PM »
Nightmist66/Jared:  That is a beautiful engine compartment, true to an OEM look. Well done. Clever idea to use the washer bag. Hope the hot water does not distort the rubbery bag. However, my '68 Mustang has a white plastic washer fluid tank that I would like to keep.

Question: Where did you hide the ignition coil on your Fairlane?

While it is not an OEM look, everybody around here safety wired a beer can to the side of the radiator. You will however, need to find a period correct one for the proper vintage look. 16 oz works the best. These days I use diet soda ones. :'(

Shady: An empty beer can was the first thing I considered. Great minds think alike. ::)

We use this one on our '67 Mustang and '68 Cougar. It totally blends in, never really notice it. Powder Coated it black. It fits right next to the radiator.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/radiator-overflow-tank-polished-stainless-steel-2-x-17-28-oz/p/ROFT15/

mbrunson427: I like this...especially if it is colored black. 2" diameter would tuck in close to the radiator and the radiator brace.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Anyone have a cool idea for a understated, radiator overflow tank?

Clark
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:03:00 PM by Clark Coe »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 08:09:21 AM »
I have used this one, it is bigger, but not very expensive and dark color hides it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-63657
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 12:12:25 PM »
  I have used the '68 windshield washer "bottle " as already suggested . Very simple and very stealth .

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 07:02:51 PM »
Nightmist66/Jared:  That is a beautiful engine compartment, true to an OEM look. Well done. Clever idea to use the washer bag. Hope the hot water does not distort the rubbery bag. However, my '68 Mustang has a white plastic washer fluid tank that I would like to keep.

Question: Where did you hide the ignition coil on your Fairlane?

Clark

Thank you, Clark. I haven't had any issues yet with the bag, but I only have around 500mi on this new setup. I mounted the coil right behind the washer bag on the inner fender. The new style coil wasn't going to match the period-ish look that I wanted, so I decided to hide it. I also have an accusump behind the front bumper.

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86