Author Topic: Tips for below zero weather  (Read 4503 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Tips for below zero weather
« on: February 12, 2021, 12:35:20 PM »
We have been 4 days below freezing and the forecast are for 4 to 5 days below zero with one day being 17 below.
We are not used to this in Oklahoma and I have animals to feed everyday.
Any tips to get though this  besides stay inside would be appreciated.
Thanks
Greg

TJ

• View Profile
Re: Tips for below zero weather
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 12:59:01 PM »
Check your water pipes...let any faucets next to outside walls drip if necessary to keep water moving or at least open cabinet doors to the under sink water pipes to let in heat.   

Give the animals some extra bedding.  Block off wind.

I was always amazed at how animals can take the cold.  Dogs' feet, cows' udders, sows' ears would all feel warm even on nasty cold days.  Keep them fed, bedded, and out of the wind. 

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 01:06:31 PM »
The 93 F-350 is only good to around zero, going to have to park it in front of the shop and throw the 12 hour heating blanket over the motor.  I'll try to add a little, if I can drain some out and not freeze to death in the driveway LOL.  We're several 100 miles south of OK and it's not going to be above 32 until next Thursday  Sunday low 2, Monday -1.  64 years here and this is the first negative number I can recall.  It's nuts.  It's 37 in Corpus which is like Tx version of Florida.  -17 is just bezerk for OK.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 01:08:15 PM »
I dread my water bill next month.
This weather doesn't seem to bother the animals much as it has only got down to the single digits, but I just don't have any experience below zero since the 70's when I worked in Alaska. Couldn't wait to get out of there and I have forgotten most of what I learned about staying warm in those temp's.
I ordered some electric heaters for my barns that are suppose to be in today. Looks like a long night setting them up. If they don't come in today then with the snow coming in tomorrow they more then likely won't do me any good.
Greg

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 01:12:18 PM »
GFCI outlets for those electric heaters in the barn..to prevent animals getting shocked and barn burning down.  You can get portable GFCI adaptors. 

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 01:12:55 PM »
Yeah I can't believe the temp is going that low. 17 below on Monday then -6,-4 -2 and it will finally hit 32 next Friday.
My brother just built a new house in Corpus because of the nice weather, I can't wait to call him up next week.
He moved there because the weather was like the weather in Southern California where he has lived for the last 20 years.
Greg

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 01:14:04 PM »
Thanks
I ordered them with the heaters. 240 volt so may be they will do some good.
Greg

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 01:24:23 PM »
I should clarify... Let the faucets on outside walls but inside the house drip.  If the faucets are outside of the house, might consider turning them off inside the house and leaving the outdoor faucets wide open.  They will likely freeze even if allowed to drip and will then burst your faucet.   

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 01:28:45 PM »
Thanks for the tip but the only outside faucets I have are in the barns and they are wrapped real good.
Inside faucets are looking like a waterfall.
Greg

oldiron.fe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 02:20:38 PM »
   pencil size running water - 240v best for electric heaters still not real efficient- forced air running on diesel /  kerosene much less cost - not for enclosed places -animals lots of bedding-dry-out of wind need food/water -several days here -not above zero at all !!  not a big fan of propane heaters must be x-careful  best for pipes electiric heat tape w/ wrapped insulation if exposed to wind plastic over all   BE EXTRA CARE FIRE  CHECK OFTEN FOR ANY HOT SPOTS WITH PORTABLE HEATERS fire protection very limited in cold freezing rural - as mentioned animals can handle cold well if  listed stuff used -   cold snaps like this not uncommon here in mid/north minn. watch for frostbite!! also triped circuit breakers/fuses
66' Fairlanes 427 (08/26/67- present)
66/67' Fairlanes
70' Mustang Fastback
66' Dually

chris401

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 02:42:07 PM »
Do y'all have a preferred home brew for your windshield waster fluid?

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 03:26:05 PM »
I think I am OK on the running water and have heat tape on all my plumbing. I installed the heat tape a few years ago after having to replace most of my pipes under the house.
I tried to buy the Kerosene forced heaters but none were available this week.
Once next Friday is here then that is the last real cold for the year [I hope].
I will have 5 or 6 of the Kerosene heaters starting next year.
We are running number 4 gauge wiring for all our 240 but will check often per your advice, I am not a fan of electric heaters but will have to use these for this week only.
We have a real good volunteer fire department in our area but can expect 20 minutes to an hour wait time in the cold weather and with the 12 + inches of snow expected tomorrow it will be a longer wait if we do have a fire.
We keep the animals in the barn if they are expecting and have round bale corrals for the rest so they are out of the wind.
My biggest problem is going out every 2 hours to break the ice in the ponds. They have been icing over for the last 4 days now and I am going to have to figure out what to do about that next year. Might sell out as I am getting to old for this kind of work.
Greg 

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 05:37:30 PM »
Do y'all have a preferred home brew for your windshield waster fluid?

Vodka or gin! Drink some first!

Or, 90% IPA (isopropyl alcohol) 70% IPA has too much water content. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 07:46:06 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 05:39:49 PM »
Take the battery out of the #1 vehicle (it's a pain to do them all!). Place same near, not on, the heat register overnight or for at least 4-6 hours. Re-install just before firing up the engine and it'll spin right over.  Super cold + thick oil = battery killer.
Bob Maag

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 05:40:23 PM »
Nope
Crown and coke or Jonnie Walker Blue.
Greg