Author Topic: Tips for below zero weather  (Read 4507 times)

oldiron.fe

• View Profile
Re: Tips for below zero weather
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2021, 08:08:23 PM »
   chris401 #10           most all places here sell  -35deg. w/s fluid ---add yellow can HEET to boost will cut ice much better      ALLWAYS run w/s front/back when parking (fluid) and when first starting as alcohol  evaperates near nozzel and freezes --- before leaving cup of warm water thaws nozzels run often as needed ------       summer add ammonia as needed cuts bugs better  old school works !!
66' Fairlanes 427 (08/26/67- present)
66/67' Fairlanes
70' Mustang Fastback
66' Dually

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2021, 10:16:13 AM »
I guess being in the Chicago area, I never really thought about this subject, never been a problem since the days of carbs.

Just walked out to my V6 car that had sat out all night in subzero temps. Pressed the start button, and it spun right to life. Just another cold morning. -2 when I started it up. Carbed snow blower kept in an unheated garage fired up pretty fast too.

I use gas station washer fluid, nothing special, works fine. I also use synthetic oil religiously.

Sorry for your troubles. On my way to church now...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:43:58 PM by Dumpling »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2021, 03:20:03 PM »
5F here right now, zero tonight and less tomorrow night.  Approx wind chill is -11.  We're a little outside the design parameters for houses, equipment, building, etc for this area.  Hard to get weather reports on the phone because the reporting equipment is freezing up.  Had to switch the heat pump system over to Aux heat.  Electric bill this month not going to be pretty.  Got the F-350 good to around -20 with some more Prestone on Friday.  Nobody it going anywhere here until Tuesday, maybe Wednesday.  Won't really get above Freezing until next Friday.  LOL, not looking good for the TnT on 2/27.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2021, 03:36:07 PM »
Just got in and checked the weather.
6 degrees with the wind chill of -20. Cleaned off the front porch and the snow was at least 10 inch's deep and we still have 3 hours at least of more snow. Supposed to get another 8 to 10 inchs on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Lows Tuesday morning is suppose to be -13.
Hove broken pipes in the house but it is so cold that the leaks froze into little mountains so I will have water until Friday when it gets to 32 degree's.
I guess it could be worse- at least we don't get 3 or 4 month's like they do up north.
Greg

chris401

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2021, 11:06:04 AM »
   chris401 #10           most all places here sell  -35deg. w/s fluid ---add yellow can HEET to boost will cut ice much better      ALLWAYS run w/s front/back when parking (fluid) and when first starting as alcohol  evaperates near nozzel and freezes --- before leaving cup of warm water thaws nozzels run often as needed ------       summer add ammonia as needed cuts bugs better  old school works !!
I've seen the HEET on the shelf for a while but have not bought it. I'll look for the 0° stuff when we are a few weeks into our 100°+ marathon. That reminds me, I need to buy a bottle of freon from Sam's Club if the price hasn't jumped yet!
Thank's,

chris401

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2021, 11:21:05 AM »
Do y'all have a preferred home brew for your windshield waster fluid?

Vodka or gin! Drink some first!

Or, 90% IPA (isopropyl alcohol) 70% IPA has too much water content.
I have Jim Beam on hand. I didn't buy any of the winter stuff this past summer and too cheap to pay double now if I can help it. My grandmother made her own I believe with just water deluded ammonia. It seldom gets to single digits where I am from but they are predicting 0° Sunday. I enjoy being outside all the seasons but Sunday I may just watch a movie or three. Going to throw hot water in the air Sunday morning to see what happens.
Well that didn't work, needs to be colder. The dry cold here isn't bad like back home.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2021, 02:21:26 PM »
If you have a Albrights near you their freon is about 1/2 the price of Sams Club.
Greg