Author Topic: FE Power Cylinder Heads - More Test Results  (Read 17099 times)

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
Re: FE Power Cylinder Heads - More Test Results
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2021, 07:02:06 AM »
I know it's a heat wave in Wisconsin when my furnace can achieve and maintain the temperature I set overnight :(
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2021, 11:23:38 AM »
When I was still with Discovery we had an office on Wacker in Chicago . When we would have the upfronts in Chicago I would usually have to spend some time there . I would stay over in Michigan City .  (Yes thats how much I dislike Chicago) and commute in . I was there once in the winter and the thing I kept saying to people was . WHY ARE YOU HERE ???? WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THIS PLACE TO LIVE !?!?!?!?!?
All things being relative and MD not being exactly in the Sun belt I thought I was fairly familiar with cold....Like most things you think you know,,,I was wrong !!!
I still do not understand why people live there . Unless you had like a Huge containment the encapsulated your whole property . I like being outside too much for that mess !

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2021, 11:51:59 AM »
When I was still with Discovery we had an office on Wacker in Chicago . When we would have the upfronts in Chicago I would usually have to spend some time there . I would stay over in Michigan City .  (Yes thats how much I dislike Chicago) and commute in . I was there once in the winter and the thing I kept saying to people was . WHY ARE YOU HERE ???? WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THIS PLACE TO LIVE !?!?!?!?!?
All things being relative and MD not being exactly in the Sun belt I thought I was fairly familiar with cold....Like most things you think you know,,,I was wrong !!!
I still do not understand why people live there . Unless you had like a Huge containment the encapsulated your whole property . I like being outside too much for that mess !

Money! One must work where the moola is...or at least put up with poor weather to earn that moola.
Bob Maag

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2021, 12:15:59 PM »
Man you cant put a price on sanity......But then again , if you all werent a little off I wouldnt get these heads so cheap from Jay,,,,, Yeah , nevermind , love the place.....  Break out the shorts and Tee shirts.... 8)

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2021, 12:18:33 PM »
Chicago is usually pretty balmy compared to Minneapolis or N Wisconsin.. We live here because we don't know any better  lol... Plus no cockroaches, fire ants ,or termites.  The homeless problem pretty much disappears about Oct 1.
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2021, 12:24:13 PM »
I was flying back from Las Vegas one year...got a good look of a snow covered Chicago landscape  and thought to myself "Who's bright idea was this? What in the heck were they thinking?" But It's home for me mostly because of family and great food.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2021, 01:40:09 PM »

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2021, 10:03:43 AM »
The snow is melting. When will the county be filled with beautiful noise again?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2021, 04:09:36 PM »
Jeff, I'm going to respond here just so nobody thinks I've been sitting around  ;D   I've been working on getting the crossram intake ready for dyno testing, but I keep getting stopped for various reasons, not the least of which is getting the cylinder head package into production.  Currently I'm waiting for a throttle position sensor so I can run the crossram setup; I couldn't make the TPS sensor that I had work.  Once I get that intake tested it's back to the RE heads, where I'll be testing all the intakes again, with the updated cam.  I love testing intakes  ;D ;D

I've also been working on the design of a few other intakes, to try to improve the performance of the 8V intake, and also to make a lower 4V intake.  I'd really like to be able to run the cylinder head package on my Mach 1 with the shaker hood scoop, but the current "Tall and Terrible" Rasputin intake (Royce B's words, not mine) just would never fit under the shaker.  So I'm working on a lower 4V intake that might work.

My rationale on this is that with a little time, and some plastic, I can 3D print plastic versions of these manifolds and test them.  I tried to do this once before, but I did it with a multi-piece intake, and when I bolted it down it wouldn't hold together.  Lesson learned, the ones I'm working on now are printed as a single piece.  Here's some pictures of the first one, which just came off the printer today.  It is more like a traditional sheet metal or billet intake.  I plan to use the aluminum top shown in the pictures, but that is set up for 4150 carbs, so I may 3D print a top just for the Dominators so I have an apples to apples comparison with the testing already completed.  I also have another version of this manifold with significantly shorter runners, that may prove to be better at the higher engine speeds.  When that one is finished I'll print the lower version of the 4V intake.  These should all be very interesting tests, and help me zero in on the best intake designs for production.

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2021, 05:03:26 PM »
Wow, that's a big 3D printed part!

General question about the runner angle on the tunnel ram.  I'm taking that having the top of the runner aligned with the carb has more benefit than having the runner be straight from the port flange?  Or is the angle of the intake port biased in the direction of the tunnel ram runner as printed?
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2021, 07:22:20 PM »
Great looking intake Jay.

Do you think this would hold up over time in a drag car or even a hot streeter? With G-forces and heating and cooling cycles harder on it than during dyno testing, I do wonder if it would be a long term piece.

Oh, and Jay. When have you EVER been sitting around????
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:24:30 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

plovett

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2021, 08:06:48 PM »
Neat looking intake!

Is the texture at the bottom of the plenum intentional or a result of the printing process?  How much can texture be controlled in the printing process anyway?   I ask because texture is used in metal intakes.

thanks,

pl

plovett

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2021, 08:16:28 PM »

General question about the runner angle on the tunnel ram.  I'm taking that having the top of the runner aligned with the carb has more benefit than having the runner be straight from the port flange?  Or is the angle of the intake port biased in the direction of the tunnel ram runner as printed?

I think you noticed, but the carb's are also twisted closer to the offset intake runners.  Pretty cool.

pl

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2021, 09:31:43 PM »
Jay Jesus H man , whos 3D printer are you using ? Ive never seen anything with a  bed that big that wasnt commercial . And how much media did you have to feed the thing ? Thats like a truck load !!!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2021, 09:39:32 PM »

David, the rationale was that it was more important to have the runner lined up with the carb opening than having it come straight out of the port.  This goes back to my experience with a couple SOHC sheet metal manifolds, where canting the runners a bit to get them to line up directly under the throttle bodies showed a small power improvement.  Whether that holds true here is an open question, I think, but that is how I designed this one.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC