Author Topic: FE Power Cylinder Heads - More Test Results  (Read 17070 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
FE Power Cylinder Heads - More Test Results
« on: January 17, 2021, 10:55:31 PM »
Today we tested the SE (Stock Exhaust) version of the cylinder heads, with both the 4V and 8V intakes.  A quick summary is below:

- Again today we observed no rocker arm issues.  I'm pretty confident with these rockers right now...
- The SE heads made almost as much power as the RE (Raised Exhaust) heads:

RE heads, 8V intake:  860 HP, 734 lb-ft
       SE heads, 8V intake:  854 HP, 725 lb-ft

RE heads, 4V intake:  857 HP, 719 lb-ft
       SE heads, 4V intake:  842 HP, 719 lb-ft

- The engine still peaks in power around 6500 RPM.  A new cam is coming, hopefully to change that...

I had started getting the SE heads ready to install earlier this week, but various issues took me away from the project, and I wasn't ready to test until today.  After getting all the valves and springs swapped from the RE heads to the SE heads, I finally got the SE heads bolted on Wednesday afternoon.  One thing that made this easier was the ability to re-use the SCE MLS head gaskets.  When I had pulled the RE heads off the engine and cleaned up those gaskets, they still looked brand new.  I contacted SCE and asked if there was any reason to spray them with Copper Coat or something like that to ensure sealing, but Ryan at SCE told me to just go ahead and install them again if they looked good.  So I did, and again they sealed perfectly.  My experience with Cometic MLS gaskets has not been as good; usually the black coating on the Cometics comes off around the cylinder bore after the first installation, and so I end up spraying those with Copper Coat in order to re-use them.  Doesn't appear to be necessary with SCE's gaskets.

I'd also had SCE make up some intake gaskets for me, which made the cylinder head and intake change a lot easier.  I hate cutting out gaskets  ;D  A picture of the head to intake adapter gaskets, and intake adapter to intake manifold gaskets, along with the shims to adjust the height of the rocker arm system, is shown below:

It actually took me until this morning to get the rest of the engine put together and ready to run.  Once again today I had help from my pal Royce on the dyno, and also from my pal Kevin (thatdarncat on this forum), helping me work through the issues on the dyno.  The day started a little slowly because one of the batteries used to power the dyno basically just gave up, so we had to replace that battery and reconfigure some of the wiring to match the new battery post configuration.  After that, it was pretty smooth sailing.  As mentioned the engine was equipped with my SE cylinder heads this time, and the headers were Hooker adjustable race headers for a 67-70 Mustang chassis, with 2-1/8" primaries, and a 3-1/2" outlet collector.  They were not equipped with any of the primary extension pipes; they were set at the shortest possible length.

Other than those two changes, the engine was identical to the configuration shown in the previous thread.  It is noteworthy that the SE cylinder heads have an exhaust port that flows about 25 cfm less at peak than the RE cylinder heads, so I figured it would be down significantly on power.  However, the SE heads look on casual inspection to have a better spark plug location.  The chambers between the two head types are actually identical, but the angle of the spark plug, and it's position as it enters the chamber, are different between the two heads.  As a result, the first few pulls on the dyno were done to determine the best timing for the SE cylinder heads.

Here's a picture, taken by Kevin, of Royce and I working on the engine with the 8V intake installed:

The 8V induction system was the one we started off with because it had already been set up during the last test session.  We just basically bolted it on, with the same jetting, and started the engine.  We ran it up to temp, then pulled the valve covers to lash the valves, and then began the pulls.  Our first few pulls were 3000-5000 RPM, in order to dial in the timing.  We started at 28, then went to 30, and then 32.  At 32 degrees total, the engine was actually down on power compared to the 30 degree test, so for the remaining tests we dialed the timing back to 30 degrees.  On the RE heads, best results were obtained at 32 degrees, so it was cool to see an actual effect from the different spark plug locations between the two heads, and it seems it would definitely be a good thing to move the plug location in the RE heads. 

After getting the timing dialed in we quickly ran up the RPM range, finally arriving at the 5000-7000 RPM pull.  Again, as in the previous tests, the engine made power up to 6500 or so, but then quit climbing higher.  I had figured that we would be down 20-25 HP due to the less efficient exhaust on the SE heads, but was surprised to find that they were nearly as good as the RE heads.  The data below shows a comparison of the SE and RE heads with the 8V  intake manifold and carb setup.  Note that the best pull we got with the RE heads was up to 6500 RPM, so that is the one that is shown:

This is really not that big of a difference, and I think it shows that the intake port is far more important than the exhaust port.

Next we pulled the 8V intake off and installed the "Rasputin" (Tall and Terrible) 4V intake.  Royce gets credit for naming that one.  Here's a picture of the engine at this point:

We re-jetted the 1150 Dominator carb to match the jets that we ran with the RE heads, and started the testing.  Everything was fine until we got to the 4500-6500 RPM pull; suddenly before started the pull we heard a loud knocking from the engine.  Ruh-Roh...  We looked for some issue that would cause that, but it sounded just like a connecting rod to me; it appeared to be coming right from the side of the engine block.  Finally though, after changing and restarting the engine briefly a couple times, and listening and watching, I saw that one of the header pipes had come loose from the head, and it was knocking against the head as the engine vibrated while running.  What a relief LOL!

After tightening the header bolts we started the engine and ran the 4500-6500 pull, but it had a big flat spot in the middle of the pull.  We were scratching our head about this, but then it dawned on me to look in the gas tank.  Barely anything left there, we had basically run out of gas.  Duh... :-[

I added gas and then the next two pulls, 4500-6500 and 5000-7000 RPM, were uneventful.  It was interesting that with the 4V intake the SE heads made the identical torque number to the RE heads, but were down more on power at the top end than the 8V intake was.  Here's a graph of the SE vs RE heads, with the 4V intake:

After that pull we called it a day.  I have a new cam coming, hopefully sometime this week, with less intake duration and less lift, but a bigger split for duration between intake and exhaust, and less overlap than this cam.  I'll install that as soon as I get it and test the SE heads again, then change valve springs to something less radical and test again.  I'm really looking forward to dialing in this combination.

In addition, I need to get the crossram intake set up and tested on here with EFI, that will also be coming in the next weeks.

Finally, a few notes from the testing today.  Ross had asked about lift at the retainer with this cam, and I was surprised to see it was only 0.786".  Without any valvetrain flex it should be 0.850", but with these big springs I'm obviously losing a lot.  I'm guessing that backing down on the spring pressure will help HP in more ways than one.

Also, again today the 8V intake showed zero manifold vacuum all through the pull.  At idle however, it was showing significant vacuum, around 9" or so, so I know for a fact that it was working properly.  The 4V intake only showed about 1.1 inches of vacuum with these heads, at 7000 RPM, compared to 1.6 inches at the same engine speed with the RE heads.  So, obviously those heads are pulling harder on the intake than the SE heads.  Certainly an indication that the better exhaust port on the RE heads is having an effect.

Finally, with todays weather conditions the correction factor for the dyno was 4.0%.

I will post another update after the cam change - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Cyclone03

• View Profile
Re: FE Power Cylinder Heads - More Test Results
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 11:37:37 PM »
Thanks Jay,it’s amazing how the test are starting at 600hp,just incredible .

I know it’s a bit of work but isn’t your curiosity leading you to step down the spring rate to regain some lift and test?
Wouldn’t .060 lift loss also come with a duration loss as well? Maybe a set of 7/16” pushrods?

Thank you again this is an amazing project.
Lance H

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 11:40:41 PM »
I never looked at prior data - what are you running for pushrod diameter, length and wall thickness?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 11:46:06 PM »
I've just discovered an idiosyncrasy regarding the use of this website. I typed in a bit silly but very positive response to your first post, Jay, and when I attempted to download it, I found a red banner that said that someone else had just posted and that I should look at it. When I attempted to look, the post I'd made disappeared. So let's just make it that I'm gleeful about your results.

KS

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 11:52:37 PM »
I am looking forward to the cam change. The exhaust port change making little difference may be an indicator that the better port was over-scavenging.

Great stuff!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 12:06:32 AM »
I never looked at prior data - what are you running for pushrod diameter, length and wall thickness?

Barry, I don't know the wall thickness, but they are the pushrods recommended by Smith Brothers.  They are 3/8" diameter, 10.25" long.  Smith Brothers said they were good for up to 1100 pounds of spring pressure.

Edit:  My mistake, I just measured the pushrods this morning and they are 7/16", not 3/8".  Sorry.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:10:00 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 12:08:00 AM »
That's some crazy power you making already, Jay! I am curious, since you were starting on a clean slate did you ever consider abandoning the intake/manifold mating under the valve cover design?

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 12:59:28 AM »
Considering the small power difference between the different heads, could the lack of high RPM horsepower gain be due to over scavenging on the exhaust at high RPM? Pulling too much intake charge out with it?

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 01:55:51 AM »
Ross had asked about lift at the retainer with this cam, and I was surprised to see it was only 0.786".  Without any valvetrain flex it should be 0.850", but with these big springs I'm obviously losing a lot.  I'm guessing that backing down on the spring pressure will help HP in more ways than one.

I've been trying to play detective with prior threads on this. Before you mentioned the gross lift spec. at .880". I thought you mentioned the rocker ratio being higher than expected also. So if the rocker ratio is more than 1.76 per cam card spec and you are only receiving .786" at the valve, then there's a whole lotta shakin' flexin' going on... Almost .100" loss! :o Did you happen to measure lobe lift and compare to the cam card?

I have some custom Smith Bros. pushrods in mine. They are 3/8" × 8.980" effective length with .145" wall, which is the thickest I could get. My cam card called for .400" lobe lift, and that is exactly what it measured. My cam card called for .700" gross. The Erson's came up short(which is what I wanted). I got around six eighty-something, almost .690" with checker springs and around .66x" with actual springs on with a little less than 700lbs.

These heads are good news for shock tower guys, congrats!
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 04:55:39 AM »
A 3/8” pushrod should theoretically open the valve, but not without deflection.  For my higher end stuff I use at least a 7/16” pushrod or a 1/2” if I can fit it in there. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 08:20:41 AM »
About 6 years ago I was at Kasse's picking up parts and got a tour of the engine assembly room as they assembled a mountain motor pro stock engine. The thing that stuck the most was the pushrods. They were at least 7/16 and extremely heavy. I asked about the weight and was told deflection was more important than weight at that point in the valvetrain.
Other than that, I have no clue .
Great results Jay, very informative posts & CONGRATULATIONS  !!!
Woody

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 08:38:49 AM »
On solid roller stuff I have been running. 165 wall pushrods and tried to sneak 7/16 tapered into a few of them.  Straight is better but real estate is tight on FE stuff.  I had one here with customer supplied 3/8 that turned out to be way to thin and it was down by something like 40 HP until one bent.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 08:59:48 AM »
When you need it, you need it....  5/16" SBF pushrod on the bottom, 1/2" BBF pushrod on the top. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 09:11:32 AM »
Impressive results and a lot less drama this time around. Glad that the rocker arms issues are resolved. Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that we're starting in the 800HP+ zone with a bunch of upside potential.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 09:16:22 AM »
That's some crazy power you making already, Jay! I am curious, since you were starting on a clean slate did you ever consider abandoning the intake/manifold mating under the valve cover design?

I thought about that Alan, but decided against it for a variety of reasons.  First, I'd already tooled up the intake adapter casting that I use for High Risers and Tunnel Ports, and I use the same intake adapter casting for these heads, so it was easy to proceed with that.  The advantages of the intake adapter are important to me, such as being able to get into the valley of the engine without tearing the top of the engine off, and also to change intake manifolds without disturbing the timing (when using a distributor) or breaking the water jacket.  If I went with a more conventional head/intake arrangement, and wanted to change intake manifolds, I'd be messing with timing and the water jacket.  Plus, a conventional head would require some triangular spacers in each corner of the intake to fill the gap between the bottom of the head/intake mating surface and the china wall, just like an SOHC uses.  Those things are a pain I think. 

Finally, it just wouldn't seem like an FE any other way  :D
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 09:25:17 AM »
Ross had asked about lift at the retainer with this cam, and I was surprised to see it was only 0.786".  Without any valvetrain flex it should be 0.850", but with these big springs I'm obviously losing a lot.  I'm guessing that backing down on the spring pressure will help HP in more ways than one.

I've been trying to play detective with prior threads on this. Before you mentioned the gross lift spec. at .880". I thought you mentioned the rocker ratio being higher than expected also. So if the rocker ratio is more than 1.76 per cam card spec and you are only receiving .786" at the valve, then there's a whole lotta shakin' flexin' going on... Almost .100" loss! :o Did you happen to measure lobe lift and compare to the cam card?

I have some custom Smith Bros. pushrods in mine. They are 3/8" × 8.980" effective length with .145" wall, which is the thickest I could get. My cam card called for .400" lobe lift, and that is exactly what it measured. My cam card called for .700" gross. The Erson's came up short(which is what I wanted). I got around six eighty-something, almost .690" with checker springs and around .66x" with actual springs on with a little less than 700lbs.

These heads are good news for shock tower guys, congrats!

Jared, thanks for the thoughts.  You are correct that the original aluminum rocker arms ended up at a higher ratio than I had planned, but the steel rockers did not; based on the geometry they are right on 1.76:1.  So, with 0.880" gross lift at the cam, and a .030" lash, net valve lift before any deflection should have been 0.850".  That is of course assuming I can trust the cam card.  I think I will install a checker spring on one of the valves later today and see what I get.  It's possible that the cam is off, but I doubt it.  It's also possible that my rocker ratio is off - again.  I will find out later today...

So I'm down on lift at the valve by about .060".  Also, I measured the pushrod diameter this morning and found that I was wrong on their size, they are 7/16" diameter.  So I'm a little less concerned about valvetrain deflection with those pushrods, although I'm sure there's still some going on...
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 09:26:25 AM »
A 3/8” pushrod should theoretically open the valve, but not without deflection.  For my higher end stuff I use at least a 7/16” pushrod or a 1/2” if I can fit it in there.

Sorry, my mistake in the earlier post, the pushrods are 7/16" diameter.
Jay Brown

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 09:58:46 AM »
I sure enjoyed my time assisting professor Brown in his lab the last couple months. When you think about the time, effort, and money that went into this head project it boggles the mind,  esp when executed by a lone individual. I can tell Jay has a lot of satisfaction in creating a head that is a step change in performance for the beloved FE... Can't wait to see it in competition and see the comments from the doubters when they get their butt handed to them on the track.
It's a 4 hr trip each way to make it to Jay's place for me.. it was worth it to hear that 510 bellow when the throttles on 2 dominators got yanked open and the horsepower numbers raced up the scale..
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 10:59:53 AM »
A little less overlap, better cam all around, a little less open pressure stealing lift, duration and parasitic loss...I think it will be interesting.  Hopefully the peaks drive up in RPM and power, too, but I bet the curve is going to flatten out considerably and just overall be a better combo here pretty soon

Great stuff.  How am I going to fit Rasputen under a stock Boss 9 hood? 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 11:15:59 AM »
Love the Rasputin (sp) name.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 11:19:33 AM »
Nice to see everything settling down with no drama  :D

I remember the problems we had at Ford with new heads.  Head gasket sealing, cooling, exhaust valve seats falling out, having to move stuff around to get performance, you name it!  As Royce said, this is a supremely difficult challenge to take on as an individual.  Well done, Jay!
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 12:17:28 PM »
This is fascinating bearing witness to an evolutionary step in the development of a 70-year-old design.  I liken this to building a competitive Pro Stock engine for 1970 competition.  The power levels are about the same.  Yes, I know the cammer was the Ford engine used in Pro Stock back then, but I'm thinking that this must be how it was done back then.  A lot of trial and error.  For the most part they were stuck with factory parts.  Not a lot of fancy aftermarket stuff.  So, every thing they went through back then, you're going through now.

Chris68GT

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure if your pushrods are pushing on an angle you're going to lose lift to the sideways motion. You'll have to find someone better at trigonometry than I am to figure it out though.
Mack Performance & Fabrication

Modifying and upgrading classic Fords

Columbus, Ohio

614-914-8112

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 12:35:28 PM »
Really stupid question, but if we were more interested in a block with a 4" bore, would the valves clear?

Stupid guilty pleasure, some of the lyrics are even appropriate
https://youtu.be/SYnVYJDxu2Q

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2021, 01:48:01 PM »
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure if your pushrods are pushing on an angle you're going to lose lift to the sideways motion. You'll have to find someone better at trigonometry than I am to figure it out though.

That's not true, an angled pushrod does not cause any loss of lift.  The lifter is straight up and down, and the rocker rotates on a shaft that is parallel to the cam bore, so the pushrod just moves up and down the normal amount, in an angled state.
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 01:51:14 PM »
Really stupid question, but if we were more interested in a block with a 4" bore, would the valves clear?

NOT a stupid question, since I have a 390 stroker that I want to put these heads on.  As is, the valves will not clear.  However, I'm actually planning one more version of the heads, similar to the SE design, but with a smaller intake port and port volume, and a smaller intake valve, probably a 2.15".  That should allow clearance to a .030" over 390 block, 4.08" bore.  Not sure if anything smaller will work...
Jay Brown

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2021, 02:20:14 PM »
Are you running any offset on the lifters?

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2021, 02:41:19 PM »
According to motion ratio, there should be a little difference in lift, I figure .008.

That based on the push rod angle of 7.72* (std PR length of 9.59 x 1.3 offset, 1.3/9.59 = .1355 tan = 7.72*). The motion ratio of 7.72* = cosin of the angle or, .991. .991 x .5 cam lift = .4955. .4955x 1.76 = .872

A checker spring test should show this.
Frank

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2021, 02:50:18 PM »
Very good news imo on the SE head performance, ie more potential customers...
Do you think the SE head is overperforming expectations or is there alot more potential for the RE head?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2021, 02:50:51 PM »
Are you running any offset on the lifters?

No offset on the lifters.

To revisit the lift issue, I think I got fooled when I checked them yesterday.  I just checked two more rockers today, one intake and one exhaust, and they are both showing 0.818" lift.  With the .020" cold lash, that is .042" short of what the net lift is supposed to be.  So, I'm not off as much as I thought.

I'll be adding in some checker springs and trying again; will update those results later today.
Jay Brown

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2021, 02:52:07 PM »
According to motion ratio, there should be a little difference in lift, I figure .008.

That based on the push rod angle of 7.72* (std PR length of 9.59 x 1.3 offset, 1.3/9.59 = .1355 tan = 7.72*). The motion ratio of 7.72* = cosin of the angle or, .991. .991 x .5 cam lift = .4955. .4955x 1.76 = .872

A checker spring test should show this.

You have to watch about using checking springs in that situation.   They can give you a false reading of lift because most rockers have a little more ratio engineered into them to combat deflection.   You can easily get .060-.070" MORE lift with a checking spring than you actually have.  Jay's may not be this way because he designed them, but if you were to test a T&D rocker or similar, you'd be surprised on the results.

Short of a Spintron, we don't really know what happens at rpm, so the closest thing we can check is a static situation, by checking lift at the valve with the actual components that will be used in the engine.

As Barry mentioned, an offset lifter would probably help quite a bit in Jay's case, in order to get the pushrod to a more vertical situation.  Less spring pressure will help quite a bit too now that Jay has proven his rocker arms. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 02:56:11 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2021, 02:56:06 PM »
Very good news imo on the SE head performance, ie more potential customers...
Do you think the SE head is overperforming expectations or is there alot more potential for the RE head?

The SE head is definitely overperforming MY expectations, but I think there is more power to be had in both head types.  Gotta get 'er dialed in.  I'm hoping I'll be able to offer up a recipe for a bracket race FE making 900+ horsepower, without a lot of special porting work.
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 03:27:46 PM »
OK, I just installed a checker spring on one of the valves, and got 0.872" lift.  Calculated lift with the measured lash is 0.860".  So assuming the cam is ground correctly with a 0.500" lobe, my rocker ratio is just a bit high at 1.78:1.  And also, I'm losing about .050" in lift due to valvetrain deflection.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 03:30:03 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 03:44:58 PM »
OK, I just installed a checker spring on one of the valves, and got 0.872" lift.  Calculated lift with the measured lash is 0.860".  So assuming the cam is ground correctly with a 0.500" lobe, my rocker ratio is just a bit high at 1.78:1.  And also, I'm losing about .050" in lift due to valvetrain deflection.

A .050" loss is quite a bit statically.  Next time you have the intake off, maybe you could try a 1/2 or 9/16" pushrod to see if it helps.  Reduced spring pressure would probably help as well. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 04:19:11 PM »

Gotta get 'er dialed in.  I'm hoping I'll be able to offer up a recipe for a bracket race FE making 900+ horsepower, without a lot of special porting work.

Let’s all just think about that last sentence ,how many FE’s are out there making rounds with 900hp?
Lance H

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 05:32:51 PM »

Gotta get 'er dialed in.  I'm hoping I'll be able to offer up a recipe for a bracket race FE making 900+ horsepower, without a lot of special porting work.

Let’s all just think about that last sentence ,how many FE’s are out there making rounds with 900hp?

Rough math, (427/510)x850 = 711 HP for a 427 cubic inch FE..
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:35:45 PM by Dumpling »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2021, 10:42:22 PM »

Ask instead, "How many FEs will be out there making rounds when the 900 HP IS available?"

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2021, 11:05:33 AM »
There are a few 900+ HP Fe's making rounds already - not many but a few.
Costly engines for sure - Pro-port high riser modified type cylinder heads.
Not exactly low cost. I believe the FE Power heads are being developed to fill a void.

Would be fantastic to see a 900+ HP FE compete in price with a 385 series engine with A460 heads.
Just need a competitively priced block capable of 500+ inches to go along with an awesome cylinder head package!!

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2021, 12:41:45 PM »
maybe 4 or so traditional design that crack 1000 hp na

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2021, 05:53:27 PM »

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2021, 07:21:41 PM »
That was incredibly interesting.  It makes you realize that the dynamics of the induction system up to intake valve of a NA engine is far more complex than it appears and that NA intake flow is a nearly endless series of compromises.  Any thoughts about the sharp turn on your crossram Jay?  Like he said, race engineers don't need to contend with packaging requirements like hood line.  Great video.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2021, 07:54:42 PM »
A certain guy named Larry Widmer would take exception to that "never supersonic flow in an intake or exhaust tract" statement.  Widmer created Glidden's winning Cleveland and Shotgun engines.  That Boss 9's secret sauce was supersonic exhaust ports.

I'd agree that sonic choking is a hard limit in an intake tract.  Compressibility creates a standing shock at the choke point, which is the classic "sound barrier".  I've seen it many times in wind tunnels.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2021, 09:37:18 PM »
That was incredibly interesting.  It makes you realize that the dynamics of the induction system up to intake valve of a NA engine is far more complex than it appears and that NA intake flow is a nearly endless series of compromises.  Any thoughts about the sharp turn on your crossram Jay?  Like he said, race engineers don't need to contend with packaging requirements like hood line.  Great video.

That was an interesting video, although I've read about most of that stuff before.  Key points are that the last couple inches of the port before it hits the valve are much more important than the rest of the induction tract, and that hitting that 0.55 Mach number causes the engine to hang at the peak power level, if the cam is designed to make it run a little higher.  After I changed cam in the dyno mule, and didn't really see a big increase in the RPM where the engine peaked in power, I'd kind of concluded that the port cross sectional area needed to be increased; i.e. the velocity was too high to get the HP level any higher.  Watching the video kind of reinforced this for me.

On the crossram, especially the #1 and #8 runners have some pretty good turns in them prior to hitting the head port, and I'm sure that will hurt peak power production.  But the crossram is designed with long runners, to make a lot of low end torque at the cost of some top end power, and also they have to fit under the hood of the car.  And since the really key area, the head port, is still the same, I'm hoping the effect on peak power won't be real dramatic.  It's finally starting to warm up here now, so we'll get back on the dyno and see in a few days...
Jay Brown

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2021, 10:24:11 PM »
I shudder to ask what you consider "Warm" up there Jay......

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2021, 10:57:34 PM »
Anything over 15 degrees is a freaking heat wave these days... :o
Jay Brown

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2021, 07:02:06 AM »
I know it's a heat wave in Wisconsin when my furnace can achieve and maintain the temperature I set overnight :(
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2021, 11:23:38 AM »
When I was still with Discovery we had an office on Wacker in Chicago . When we would have the upfronts in Chicago I would usually have to spend some time there . I would stay over in Michigan City .  (Yes thats how much I dislike Chicago) and commute in . I was there once in the winter and the thing I kept saying to people was . WHY ARE YOU HERE ???? WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THIS PLACE TO LIVE !?!?!?!?!?
All things being relative and MD not being exactly in the Sun belt I thought I was fairly familiar with cold....Like most things you think you know,,,I was wrong !!!
I still do not understand why people live there . Unless you had like a Huge containment the encapsulated your whole property . I like being outside too much for that mess !

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2021, 11:51:59 AM »
When I was still with Discovery we had an office on Wacker in Chicago . When we would have the upfronts in Chicago I would usually have to spend some time there . I would stay over in Michigan City .  (Yes thats how much I dislike Chicago) and commute in . I was there once in the winter and the thing I kept saying to people was . WHY ARE YOU HERE ???? WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THIS PLACE TO LIVE !?!?!?!?!?
All things being relative and MD not being exactly in the Sun belt I thought I was fairly familiar with cold....Like most things you think you know,,,I was wrong !!!
I still do not understand why people live there . Unless you had like a Huge containment the encapsulated your whole property . I like being outside too much for that mess !

Money! One must work where the moola is...or at least put up with poor weather to earn that moola.
Bob Maag

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2021, 12:15:59 PM »
Man you cant put a price on sanity......But then again , if you all werent a little off I wouldnt get these heads so cheap from Jay,,,,, Yeah , nevermind , love the place.....  Break out the shorts and Tee shirts.... 8)

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2021, 12:18:33 PM »
Chicago is usually pretty balmy compared to Minneapolis or N Wisconsin.. We live here because we don't know any better  lol... Plus no cockroaches, fire ants ,or termites.  The homeless problem pretty much disappears about Oct 1.
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2021, 12:24:13 PM »
I was flying back from Las Vegas one year...got a good look of a snow covered Chicago landscape  and thought to myself "Who's bright idea was this? What in the heck were they thinking?" But It's home for me mostly because of family and great food.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2021, 01:40:09 PM »

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2021, 10:03:43 AM »
The snow is melting. When will the county be filled with beautiful noise again?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2021, 04:09:36 PM »
Jeff, I'm going to respond here just so nobody thinks I've been sitting around  ;D   I've been working on getting the crossram intake ready for dyno testing, but I keep getting stopped for various reasons, not the least of which is getting the cylinder head package into production.  Currently I'm waiting for a throttle position sensor so I can run the crossram setup; I couldn't make the TPS sensor that I had work.  Once I get that intake tested it's back to the RE heads, where I'll be testing all the intakes again, with the updated cam.  I love testing intakes  ;D ;D

I've also been working on the design of a few other intakes, to try to improve the performance of the 8V intake, and also to make a lower 4V intake.  I'd really like to be able to run the cylinder head package on my Mach 1 with the shaker hood scoop, but the current "Tall and Terrible" Rasputin intake (Royce B's words, not mine) just would never fit under the shaker.  So I'm working on a lower 4V intake that might work.

My rationale on this is that with a little time, and some plastic, I can 3D print plastic versions of these manifolds and test them.  I tried to do this once before, but I did it with a multi-piece intake, and when I bolted it down it wouldn't hold together.  Lesson learned, the ones I'm working on now are printed as a single piece.  Here's some pictures of the first one, which just came off the printer today.  It is more like a traditional sheet metal or billet intake.  I plan to use the aluminum top shown in the pictures, but that is set up for 4150 carbs, so I may 3D print a top just for the Dominators so I have an apples to apples comparison with the testing already completed.  I also have another version of this manifold with significantly shorter runners, that may prove to be better at the higher engine speeds.  When that one is finished I'll print the lower version of the 4V intake.  These should all be very interesting tests, and help me zero in on the best intake designs for production.

Jay Brown

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2021, 05:03:26 PM »
Wow, that's a big 3D printed part!

General question about the runner angle on the tunnel ram.  I'm taking that having the top of the runner aligned with the carb has more benefit than having the runner be straight from the port flange?  Or is the angle of the intake port biased in the direction of the tunnel ram runner as printed?
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2021, 07:22:20 PM »
Great looking intake Jay.

Do you think this would hold up over time in a drag car or even a hot streeter? With G-forces and heating and cooling cycles harder on it than during dyno testing, I do wonder if it would be a long term piece.

Oh, and Jay. When have you EVER been sitting around????
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:24:30 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

plovett

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2021, 08:06:48 PM »
Neat looking intake!

Is the texture at the bottom of the plenum intentional or a result of the printing process?  How much can texture be controlled in the printing process anyway?   I ask because texture is used in metal intakes.

thanks,

pl

plovett

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2021, 08:16:28 PM »

General question about the runner angle on the tunnel ram.  I'm taking that having the top of the runner aligned with the carb has more benefit than having the runner be straight from the port flange?  Or is the angle of the intake port biased in the direction of the tunnel ram runner as printed?

I think you noticed, but the carb's are also twisted closer to the offset intake runners.  Pretty cool.

pl

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2021, 09:31:43 PM »
Jay Jesus H man , whos 3D printer are you using ? Ive never seen anything with a  bed that big that wasnt commercial . And how much media did you have to feed the thing ? Thats like a truck load !!!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2021, 09:39:32 PM »

David, the rationale was that it was more important to have the runner lined up with the carb opening than having it come straight out of the port.  This goes back to my experience with a couple SOHC sheet metal manifolds, where canting the runners a bit to get them to line up directly under the throttle bodies showed a small power improvement.  Whether that holds true here is an open question, I think, but that is how I designed this one.
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2021, 09:43:03 PM »
Do you think this would hold up over time in a drag car or even a hot streeter? With G-forces and heating and cooling cycles harder on it than during dyno testing, I do wonder if it would be a long term piece.

Oh, and Jay. When have you EVER been sitting around????

I sit around sometimes.  Not very much, though... ;D  I have my doubts as to whether this kind of intake would hold up on a vehicle, mostly because of potential issues with underhood heat.  The plastic I use holds up fine with gasoline, in fact I've soaked a few 3D printed parts in gas for several days and they don't seem to degrade at all.  But heat could be another issue.  It may be possible that on a drag car, which only runs for a short period at a time, it might hold up.  Guess I don't really know, and I think at any significant underhood temperatures all bets would be off...
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2021, 09:46:02 PM »
Neat looking intake!

Is the texture at the bottom of the plenum intentional or a result of the printing process?  How much can texture be controlled in the printing process anyway?   I ask because texture is used in metal intakes.

thanks,

pl

Paulie, that texture is the result of the printing process, not by design.  Joe Craine emailed me shortly after I posted this and suggested that I round the bottom of the intake up, rather than leaving it flat as this one is.  I think that's a good idea to prevent fuel puddling and help the flow transition into the runner, and I'll probably incorporate that change into the next one I print.
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2021, 09:50:25 PM »
Jay Jesus H man , whos 3D printer are you using ? Ive never seen anything with a  bed that big that wasnt commercial . And how much media did you have to feed the thing ? Thats like a truck load !!!

Kyle, the printer is a Gigabot printer, bought it a few years back as a kit.  It will print a cube 2 feet on each side.  I bought it because I wanted to make sure I could 3D print an entire block if I wanted.  There's about 13 pounds of plastic in that print, and it took 10-1/2 days to print.  The printer has paid for itself because I have a small group of customers in the foundry and pattern making business who need me to print parts every now and then, and their business has paid for the printer over the course of the last few years.  So for me, it's a freebee, just takes plastic and time  :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:52:29 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2021, 10:24:55 PM »
Thats pretty awesome . I could use a Mock up block .........You thought about selling them ? I take it this is a pellet model ?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2021, 11:21:17 PM »
Not a pellet printer, this one uses 3mm filament, comes in 2, 5, and 15 pound spools.  The problem with printing a whole block is that it would tie the printer up for a full month, and I can't afford to tie it up like that in most cases.  Not really practical to manufacture anything, it is mostly good for prototyping.
Jay Brown

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2021, 10:37:02 AM »
Jay, how about just printing up some “turtles” to put in the floor of that intake? Would be a much faster option I think. I am assuming you are printing in PLA? If so you are right about the temp issue. Nylon would probably hold up, but it warps pretty bad when printing, and the bigger the part the worse it gets.

Edelbrock 3D prints prototype manifolds, but I think they use the powdered media and deposited glue type printer, not sure exactly but I imagine it works similar to the machines that are used to print your sand casting molds. They say they can get a few dyno runs out of those.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2021, 11:10:42 AM »
Jay, how about just printing up some “turtles” to put in the floor of that intake? Would be a much faster option I think. I am assuming you are printing in PLA? If so you are right about the temp issue. Nylon would probably hold up, but it warps pretty bad when printing, and the bigger the part the worse it gets.

That's a good idea Joe, I might do that...
Jay Brown

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2021, 07:55:27 AM »
It will be great to see the results from 'The Great FE Power Intake Comparo'.  :) I am going for the cross ram induction system since it's the only stock hood option thus far. If a more traditional 4 barrel intake makes it to the market that would be cool too.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2021, 12:44:07 PM »

If you're just making turtles you can carve then from a chunk of wood in about five minutes with the bench grinder.  A dab of 5 minute epoxy and make a pull.
This comes from somebody who has glued a literal 2x4 into an intake plenum.

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2021, 12:59:37 PM »

If you're just making turtles you can carve then from a chunk of wood in about five minutes with the bench grinder.  A dab of 5 minute epoxy and make a pull.
This comes from somebody who has glued a literal 2x4 into an intake plenum.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2021, 06:32:59 PM »
Never tried legos....heading to dyno now...

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2021, 11:38:57 AM »
Jeff, I'm going to respond here just so nobody thinks I've been sitting around

Beautiful .... Just beautiful.

I've been thinking about something like that for a prototype for a different Ford engine family. .... Great Job and good luck with it.

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2021, 11:41:50 AM »
Never tried legos....heading to dyno now...

Chop Sticks and popsicle sticks and some glue ....     :o

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2021, 12:06:28 PM »
Once you have your base prototyping done is it not cost effective to have the last form 3D printed in aluminium? before production?

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2021, 09:31:00 PM »
BTW

How long did it take to print ?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2021, 08:55:59 AM »
Once you have your base prototyping done is it not cost effective to have the last form 3D printed in aluminium? before production?

I don't have access to any machines that would 3D print in aluminum, and I'd have to believe that it would be many thousands of dollars to do that.  Certainly not cost effective...
Jay Brown

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2021, 05:32:13 AM »
I need to stop by some time, and see how things have changed in the FE Skunkworks facility.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2021, 10:00:55 AM »
Hey Jay - So how are things going in Chicken Coop Dyno land?

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2021, 10:09:03 AM »

Jay has been busy... New CNC lathe to machine parts for his rocker arms. He's doing what it takes to keep this project moving forward.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2021, 10:11:34 AM »

Jay has been busy... New CNC lathe to machine parts for his rocker arms. He's doing what it takes to keep this project moving forward.
Never a doubt in my mind and thanks for the update. Jay's an "All In" kind of dude.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2021, 03:47:23 PM »
Here's a quick update.  As Jeff mentioned I brought in a CNC lathe because pricing on all the lathe parts that I need for the rocker arms would have made the rocker setup prohibitively expensive.  It seems everyone is really busy right now, so pricing for small quantities like mine has gone way up.  Machining bronze bushing and roller tips is not exactly rocket science, so in order to maintain reasonable pricing on the parts I'm going to do those myself.  I got a screaming deal on a used CNC lathe, which also helps  :D

First batch of cylinder head castings is supposed to be poured the first week in May.  First batch of the intake adapters is supposed to be poured by the end of May.  The permanent tooling for the rocker arm castings is almost done, according to the investment casting foundry, so I'd expect to have the first samples by the end of this month, and hopefully the production quantity of rockers shortly thereafter.

I also have a couple of new intake manifolds designed, but my 3D printer has been acting up for the last month, and I still don't have it working properly, so the new intakes haven't been printed yet.  At this point I only have the one that can be tested.

All this has kept me extremely busy, and off the dyno, unfortunately.  I still have not dynoed the crossram intake, which I'm really looking forward to.  Hopefully soon...
Jay Brown

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2021, 07:31:24 PM »
Fantastic Jay!

I’m at a loss for words....

Thank you for lunching the FE into the 21st century !
Lance H