Author Topic: Ported TFS heads?  (Read 3644 times)

plovett

Ported TFS heads?
« on: January 15, 2021, 12:52:14 PM »
Has anybody ported the TFS heads yet?  If so, any results?

thanks,

pl

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Ported TFS heads?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 01:08:58 PM »
Yep.  My guy is working on a pair right now and has them up 25 cfm past advertised right now.  Close to 360 cfm.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

plovett

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 01:13:13 PM »
Yep.  My guy is working on a pair right now and has them up 25 cfm past advertised right now.  Close to 360 cfm.

Neato!  Thanks!

That's a lot of flow.  Valve sizes the same?

pl

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 01:15:08 PM »
Yes.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

plovett

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 08:59:48 PM »
I am guessing the ported heads still have the vane in the floor?

Thanks,

pl

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 08:18:17 AM »
Looking forward to what Brent comes up with, but after having a few sets in my hands, I'd bet the gains will be on the roof and sides, not much on the floor.  I bet he doesn't take much away from the bottom.

However, just because the vane worked for their initial port, doesn't mean it's right for big flow numbers.  Heck it could even be there for marketing LOL not like the chamber and floor will behave the same way in every bore and piston combo

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 09:25:04 AM »
Looking forward to what Brent comes up with, but after having a few sets in my hands, I'd bet the gains will be on the roof and sides, not much on the floor.  I bet he doesn't take much away from the bottom.

However, just because the vane worked for their initial port, doesn't mean it's right for big flow numbers.  Heck it could even be there for marketing LOL not like the chamber and floor will behave the same way in every bore and piston combo
What is the purpose of the vane, what does it "do" ?
Woody

plovett

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 05:05:53 PM »

What is the purpose of the vane, what does it "do" ?

I am not sure, but there was skepticism about these heads and that vane in the intake port, when they first came out.  Not so much anymore.

pl

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 06:51:31 PM »
Look at the nice short side turn, it’s not just the vane, it’s the whole small efficient port

Whether that vane helps after porting, who knows, I sure don’t see a reason to take it away unless port volume is too small for the size and rpm

My guess on the vane is a flow director around the valve for cleaner low lift flow, but I am not a head porter
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 07:10:02 PM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 07:33:08 PM »
Some Nascar teams many years ago used to use a vane in the floor on cleveland 4V heads to re-direct flow. Some porters feel it is a crutch to fix something not right about the port and if the port is right should not need it.

Brent how is the ported exhaust look?  If the exhaust can keep up with the intake Id say this is good news for this head since it is basically a cnc ported TFS could easily offer it in a "ported" form. I guess they have yet to see a market demand to do so, but if guys are going to use this on 500ci engines I can see a need. Ports on the current version really look small when you see them in real life.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 11:27:48 PM »
It would be interesting to dyno test stock TFS heads and then pull the heads, shave the vane and dyno again. I remember reading about the vane in one of Vizard's books. It does make a difference in some port shapes.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:29:53 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 11:21:08 AM »
Could it be to induce swirl? Or, direct the flow away from the cylinder wall? Either could help overall efficiency.
Bob Maag

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 11:48:45 AM »
The shortest distance between two points is what?   A straight line.  Airflow wants to take the shortest path from point "A" to point "B", and if you look at the FE intake port, what is the shortest point from the gasket to valve seat?  The air wants to go to the short turn next to the exhaust valve .  That reduces flow, creates turbulence, and loss of power.  A porter should try to direct the airflow so that it stays up in the port, and exits over the whole valve face, not shear across the short turn side of the valve.  Those vanes in the TFS heads do that quite well.  If you take the intake valve out of the TFS head, you will see the bowl is not round like other heads, but has a huge directional wall that helps with directing the airflow into the combustion chamber.  Reminiscent of the first LS heads with their swirl channel built into the port.  By keeping the ports small, it forces the airflow to stay in suspension, and not shear like most FE heads do when the airflow gets very fast in the ports.  Short turn work is critical in keeping a FE head airflow increasing with valve lift.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

plovett

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 04:00:01 PM »
Not sure if these pics' are similar size.......Here's an Edelbrock intake port next to a TFS port.  Note the big ramp and longer radius to the valve, in the TFS head, like Joe mentioned.  I guess the floor does matter.

pl

edit: looking for a better Edelbrock pic.....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:03:35 PM by plovett »

plovett

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 05:04:02 PM »
To me it looks like the vane keeps a lot of the air on the longer path with the bigger radius, rather than taking the shortest path to the combustion chamber?  I don't know.  Just asking.

pl