Author Topic: Ported TFS heads?  (Read 3652 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Ported TFS heads?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 07:01:26 PM »
Not sure if these pics' are similar size.......Here's an Edelbrock intake port next to a TFS port.  Note the big ramp and longer radius to the valve, in the TFS head, like Joe mentioned.  I guess the floor does matter.

pl

edit: looking for a better Edelbrock pic.....

The radius on the flow is referred to as the short side radius (ssr) and is one of the most important parts of the port, air doesn’t like to turn sharp corners

Time to just buy a set and let that next motor breathe!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 07:56:46 PM »
The radius on the flow is referred to as the short side radius (ssr) and is one of the most important parts of the port, air doesn’t like to turn sharp corners

Time to just buy a set and let that next motor breathe!

One of the most common mistakes novice porters make is to grind down the "ski jump" on the port floor on bowl approach.  This feature is very common on all heads that I've seen.  I know you know this, but when you're evaluating a port, you have to understand that air is a fluid and has mass.  I've heard people using a garden hose in the port to understand how the port is working.  I think that's pretty reasonable if you can read the flow.  I haven't tried it, but there's probably a technique to it.  But the point is, you have to take time to study the port and think about that air moving in the port, and how inertia is going to influence that turn.  I find it helps me if I think of how the port would flow in both directions.  In other words, the intake also flowing as an exhaust.  At least it forces me to slow down.

plovett

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 08:53:00 PM »
And I think gasoline has about four times the mass of air, if it is "atomized".  So it tends to go straight even more so.

pl