Author Topic: Any vintage audiophiles here?...  (Read 2826 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Any vintage audiophiles here?...
« on: January 14, 2021, 01:01:43 PM »
I know there are a couple on here who like the vintage tube stuff from the '60s/'70s, but how about the older stuff?
Anyone recognize this little gem? Except for 3 capacitors, it's all original, chrome is in great shape, and has a working original cone speaker, and it works.

Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Gaugster

• View Profile
Re: Any vintage audiophiles here?...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 01:10:40 PM »
Guess I am just a regular Audiophile. I love the chrome, tubes and vents of that beast but not a clue about what it actual is. An amp of some sort??? I've gone as far back as acquiring original mid-70's Quadraphonic records that were converted to high resolution digital surround sound. Mostly just make my own speaker cabinets these days.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:05:10 PM by Gaugster »
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 01:35:38 PM »
John, the unit to the right is the amplifier, the large unit to the left is the receiver. It has 3 bands, 2 of which are short wave, the 1st being AM. It's not a high watt unit, but the tone is much better than you'd think. I'll wait and see if anyone knows what it is, but I don't think many people are into the old old units. But I will add that it is the cream of the crop; a radio that only rich people could afford at the time (and the President had one). You could literally buy a new Ford for less than the base price of this radio!  8)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 01:42:22 PM »
Really sweet Doug.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 01:51:29 PM »
I have old, older and really old audio stuff around.
A Sonora phonograph from the early 1900s

https://youtu.be/bpZYpN23Fbw

I need to add pictures of the other things around here
Everything other than the farm set works, and most of it is hooked up and "under power" (except for the Sonora, which is truly "wireless")

a really nice 1937 Zenith console
a disassembled tombstone RCA farm set (runs on a 6 volt battery) that has been waiting it's fix up turn for 20 years.
+/- 1981 Toshiba SA-7100 Receiver
middle 1970s Kenwood tuner and amplifier combination
a couple pairs of reworked Realistic "Mach 1" speakers - early 1980s with 15" woofers
a pair of nice "large" Advent speakers with bullnose walnut cabinets
Technics SL1200-MK2 turntable
Akai reel to reel tape deck - I don't know much about it..but it works

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:24:04 PM by Barry_R »

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 01:53:14 PM »
And am I correct in identification - that looks like a Scott
Damn things cost as much as a new Cadillac back in the day.
Museum stuff....

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 01:57:18 PM »
I’m more 70’s oriented but love the older stuff even though I’m not as familiar.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 02:00:04 PM »
yep, an EH Scott Allwave. Early 30s. Ashamed it was cut out of the original cabinet, but then you couldn't see all the chrome. Should still be worth good money. Also ashame for the three caps. I just gut the original ones and put new ones in side them.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 03:35:53 PM »
Growing up my Dad had a Fisher stereo, tube style.   I remember the glow from it, he too had removed it from the cabinet(not sure why, heat?).  I inherited it, it worked fine and had two large speakers to go with it.  I sold it on Ebay about 20 yrs ago for a tidy sum.  It was going to Japan?  China?  I forget, but the buyer had connections in California and that is where I shipped it.  It was quite the ordeal to get it boxed up well enough to survive as the transformer was HUGE.  It made the journey unscathed.  The new owner was very happy with it.

I do have a Wollensak portable reel to reel, complete with mic/stand and cover.  Used to play with it all the time growing up.  I think we paid $5 for it in the late 70's at a garage sale.  I also have a Realistic 8 track player/recorder plugged into my home stereo just for the times I want to reminisce about we used to listen to music.

I have a NOS Road King underdash 8 track that I've been contemplating installing in the Mack just for the hallobit. 
Larry

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 03:52:09 PM »
I've got a Realistic 8 track deck plugged into the Pioneer SX-550 in the basement bar.  I think it's only a player though.  And an in-dash AM/FM/8-track in the Galaxie with a small under dash Audiovox equalizer/booster, pretty much like when I had my first Galaxie in high school.

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 04:22:42 PM »
Museum stuff....
Boy, that is a nice black face Zenith. They put that same chassis in a tombstone cabinet. I have a black face but mine has the channel preset buttons on both sides of the dial making it a little newer. Still works but not near as nice as yours. I did have a Scott Allwave, but the chrome was pretty rusty. I sold it on ebay and it went to Japan. They love the tube stuff over there.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 06:36:52 PM »
Doug, That looks like an evil scientists doomsday machine. If you flip the switch
it starts counting down  :o ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 08:49:24 PM »
Museum stuff....

Yes, it's an E.H. Scott Allwave 15, circa 1935, and yes, it was the most advanced and costly radio of its day. It is a museum piece, and even then you're not likely to see one any time soon. Your knowledge of some off the wall stuff never ceases to amaze me, Barry :)

Scott was not just a radio manufacturer, they were listed as a radio laboratory, which is to say they invented and patented stuff and had scientists and engineers working for them, not guys who just wanted to make a radio, they were experimenters and pioneers (many patents used today still are based on Scott stuff). And yes, only the filthy rich could afford them, and that was at the height of the Great Depression.

Your cabinet version of "The Walton" Zenith radio is absolutely beautiful! I always wanted the tombstone version of it, just like in the series, but they are pretty costly too!

Here is as close as I can come to yours...

I also have a few other table top radios, and an old 1927 Sears & Roebuck phonograph which was bought new by my Grandfather, along with a few boxes of 78s to play on it (yes, it still works also). But my favorite is my 1924 Atwater Kent, which is battery powered, although I've got a custom power supply for it. I'll tell you what, listening to a ball game on that old megaphone speaker will really transport you to another era!

yep, an EH Scott Allwave. Early 30s. Ashamed it was cut out of the original cabinet, but then you couldn't see all the chrome. Should still be worth good money. Also ashame for the three caps. I just gut the original ones and put new ones in side them.

Actually, Scott did not make cabinets; they sold their radios just as this one is pictured. That front wooden face plate is original, just as it came from the factory. The radios were hand made by one individual, who was always an engineer. They didn't have your typical 'blue collar' worker making them. You COULD buy a custom made cabinet from Scott, to put your radio in, although the cabinets were never made by Scott. The radios were meant to be displayed out in the open, that's the reason for all the chrome and fancy outward appearance. The cabinets do add a significant amount to the value, but they are near impossible to find.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 08:55:58 PM »

I'm still drooling over this. That Art Deco look is the most beautiful design period of all time, in my opinion. That is one gorgeous radio!!
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 07:45:17 AM »
It’s a stunning piece.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y