Author Topic: AJS  (Read 2111 times)

Heo

• View Profile
AJS
« on: December 09, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »
Lets se if i get this running this summer

Someone in here wanted pictures of it a while ago, a looong while. Unfortunatly its not a CS just a S. but i will
build a CS clone. Shiny Fenders smaller seat smaller aluminum tank but i build one out of steel and i will put on a
Norton fork comon modification back in the days. A CS engine is made out of unobtaniunm so i have to live with
25-28 hp or whatewer it have. but first get it running ...And Bubba has worked on this one for sure. Metric screws
forced in to the aluminium etc. British motorcycle threads is a story by it self. Found new clutch plates and magneto parts
in Holland
BA threded cheesehead screws at a electronics and modeltrain shop :o

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

allrightmike

• View Profile
Re: AJS
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 05:37:06 PM »
British threads HAH....British standard cycle, Whitworth, British standard, take your pick, oh I almost forgot, toward the end SAE began to seep in!! Got a couple '68 Triumphs so I know. ;D

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 06:52:07 PM »
British threads HAH....British standard cycle, Whitworth, British standard, take your pick, oh I almost forgot, toward the end SAE began to seep in!! Got a couple '68 Triumphs so I know. ;D
Sometime around 68 i think SAE began to be used on britbikes. But not everywhere and not by everyone ???  And whithwort tools ehhmmm... you have the dimension of the bolt
on the tool so a 1/2 W tool is for a 1/2 inch bolt not a 1/2 "inch bolthead
I had a -71 Boneville T120RV a rare 5 speed version. It had some hotter cams and higher compression
and megaphones....they heard me coming ;D I loved that bike

« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:57:56 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 06:44:09 AM »
Looks like you've started.
I still have some British standard wrenches and a valve seat grinding pilot I had machined to fit the guide. Loved my 67 Triumph with a Routt 750 kit.
Good looking bike as is.
Woody

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 01:54:00 PM »
Britbikes got a reputation for unreliability. Yes it is somewhat true after Bubba have worked on them.
And seems like Bubba have found all of them. After they are unbubbafied i dont know if they are
more unreliable than other 50-70 year old machines. They just need a little different maintainance ;)
Surpricingly, only oilleak this one had was around the oilplug where Bubba forgot the copper washer

428 GALAXIE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 01:55:51 AM »
I must be getting old because i would leave it as it is right now 8)

Anyway nice bike.
Mikko

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 05:04:28 AM »
I must be getting old because i would leave it as it is right now 8)

Anyway nice bike.

Thanks Mikko
Yes its an oldmans bike now ;) ;D I prefere the lighter look of the CS. As the young hooligan i am ;D ;D

https://wesellclassicbikes.co.uk/img/bikes/large/592499.jpg

Some one in the past put chrome fenders on it. Later on, probably the old man my father bought it from did a bad
spraybomb paint job on them and they are cracked at the boltholes so i need new ones anyway. Seat needs new stuffing
etc etc so i can as well do it the way i like it better.  Well first get it running when i get the clutch and the screw needed
to bolt it back together and give it a wash and see whats happening

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »
That is super cool bike Heo!  Are they common over there?   I "restored" an XS-1 a few years back.  Still my favorite bike out of the fleet to ride. 

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 04:32:15 AM »
That is super cool bike Heo!  Are they common over there?   I "restored" an XS-1 a few years back.  Still my favorite bike out of the fleet to ride.
Thanks Dano XS-1 they must be rare i never saw one live. looks like a werry nice restoaration on that one

I guess they where common once up on a time. Used as daily drivers to and home from work. In the late 50s
the Swedes started to be able to afford a car. So the used bikes was sold cheap , given away or dumped in a well
and there was a lot speedhungry teanager Bubbas around so the heard was tinned out real fast. (My father thats 80 got a lot of
childhood friends walking with a limp and scares in their face  ;) ) So not so many left i guess
This one is a survivor
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 04:39:27 AM by Heo »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 09:44:41 PM »
Now i have a working clutch so i can kick start with out it slipping
With some magneto maintanance and adjusted timing it started third kick
But carb is totaly worn out so i ordered a new one Amal Concentric only 130£

Sanded and polished some covers

New lid to the magneto. I dont like the finish on this one, stock bakelite looks better but i think this is bulletprof
up to 7,62 Nato :D