Author Topic: Prefered hone method for new type rings  (Read 3044 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Prefered hone method for new type rings
« on: January 12, 2021, 10:05:29 AM »
I ordered a set of Autotec  pistons from Brent and they have the small ring pack on them.
Getting ready to hone the block and was wondering if I should use my Stones or my ball hone to do the job.
Not sure if it makes a difference but since this is my first set of small ring pack rings I thought I would ask.
Greg

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Prefered hone method for new type rings
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 10:16:05 AM »
Greg, a shop needs to do it with a good rigid hone and a torque plate bolted on it.  You won't have much of a chance otherwise. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:45:52 AM »
Thanks for the answer.
I don't have a torque plate so I guess It is a trip back to Texas with my block.
I really hate that 6 hour round trip.
Greg

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 11:17:53 AM »
I have done my drag engines with 320 ball followed by a "polish" of oil soaked Scotchbrite.  Strictly touch up for new rings.  No issues with 1/16 3mm moly face ring set, 11 lbs tension.  But nothing smaller than that.  Only on good clean straight bores, light passes only.  Anything more or looks out of spec, goes to the shop.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 11:25:58 AM »
Had the block blueprinted to specs with the deck cut to 10.150, new bores .030 over so should be good.
I went back and read my receipts from the shop and found out he went ahead and honed the block so I was worrying about nothing.
I guess I will have to start paying attention to what work I have had done.
Greg

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 12:30:50 PM »
I would have thought so - standard procedure would be to ask or spec what rings are being used and the piston type and material.  Then the block is finished to the specs and clearances required by those parts.  The old days of piston fitting IMHO are long gone, now that even low cost pistons come in with diameter specs in the .0005 and under range.  Last set of custom pistons I checked were like .0002 variance. LOL, I could change that just by holding one in my hands for about 5 minutes.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 12:46:19 PM »
Yes
He had the rods, rings bearings, pistons for the balance job so He had what he needed. Did a great job. I went out and checked the block yesterday and everything was in spec. Now if i haven't forgotten how to assembly a block I should be good to go.
Greg   

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 07:08:38 PM »
I'm sure you're aware, but just as a heads-up, DO NOT dunk the piston in a bucket of oil like the old days. Guaranteed to have ring sealing issues or multiple issues. I just used WD-40 on the cylinder walls and rings once they were on the piston. Then a little oil on the skirts. No sealing issue so far. Oil doesn't go down and oil smells nice and clean.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 09:13:38 PM »
Good advice but I stopped dunking my pistons years ago.
I like the WD-40 on the walls as well.
Glad you brought that up as a lot of new builders don't know that.
Greg

70tp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 10:09:44 PM »
From time of assembly with pistons dunked in oil till time to fire engine, how much oil is still up in the cyls?     I’m guessing no more than a thin film?   Jmo

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 10:22:08 PM »
You definitely should coat the cylinder wall with lightweight oil that you are going to use, and put oil on the rings and skirt of the piston for your assembly and break-in procedure.  To do otherwise is folly and can ruin a fresh hone and ring set.  You don't need to dunk the piston, but you do need oil as I mentioned.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

aj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 11:12:06 PM »
Gregaba...i just PM’ed you about your machine shop in texas.
Adrian Jacobs
Weatherford, TX
1970 Shelby GT500 
1970 Boss 302

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 10:45:33 AM »
Reply sent.
Greg

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 11:32:56 AM »
LOL - an old Ford mechanic that taught me some things would always say "It's easy, just put it back together the way it came apart."

My cylinder wall procedure is to scrub the block with warm soapy water and blow dry.  Hose with WD-40 and wipe down.  Wipe the bores with WD-40, then scrub them using ATF and white rags/paper towels.  Once you don't get any gray on the towel, wipe off excess ATF.  I put a "squirt" of oil on the ring pack from a oil can and work that around with my fingers to get it all in the lands, then in it goes. 

This is a cylinder "cleaned" with WD-40

Same bore wiped again using ATF - not so clean

Same on the head and block decks, except at time of install I wipe several times with paint prep "wax and grease remover" and blow dry with air just before landing the gaskets.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 11:40:21 AM »
I'm sure you're aware, but just as a heads-up, DO NOT dunk the piston in a bucket of oil like the old days. Guaranteed to have ring sealing issues or multiple issues. I just used WD-40 on the cylinder walls and rings once they were on the piston. Then a little oil on the skirts. No sealing issue so far. Oil doesn't go down and oil smells nice and clean.

+1 NEVER dunk the piston in oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WD 40 or engine oil "wiped" on the face of the rings and a quarter size spot of oil spread out on the skirt just before installation is great.
   Randy