Author Topic: The 352's C6AE-R heads were flowed today....  (Read 8846 times)

wowens

• View Profile
Re: The 352's C6AE-R heads were flowed today....
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2020, 04:56:08 PM »
Didn't Ford use a radius seat on I think the Tunnelport  ?
Woody

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »

What burrs are you using, Joe?  What about sanding rolls;  any grit progression?
[/quote]

On iron heads, I use a variety of stones, burrs, cartridge rolls, and sanding flappers.  After scribing the ports, I also scribe the pushrod tube holes so I know how close I am to those.  I usually start with the intake bowls first, then intake ports, and finally short turn, then exhausts the same progression.  Combustion chambers last.  I cut the valve guide bosses first to establish the curvature of the bowl and area/distance between the guide and roof walls.  I do this first so I can control the amount of material removed to be safe and not grind a hole.  I usually use a carbide ball to  establish this radius and distance.  Smaller ball on the tight side, and larger ball on the swirl side.  Next I use stones in various sizes and shapes to remove all the metal I want all the way out to the seat and back out to the port opening.  Always, always work from the innermost point out to the seat or port opening.  If you start at the gasket and go in, you will make a mess.  Next I use carbides to smooth up the stone marks, and get the rough size and shape I want.  Some porters want to leave a rough carbide burr finish, but I prefer to go the extra steps and finish the ports with a #50 cartridge roll finish on the intake ports, and polish the exhaust ports with a 100-120 grit cartridge roll.  I use 36 to 60 to 80 grit to get all the sides and floor the final shape I want, then finish the ports with a 6" mandrel and 50 grit cartridge roll.  After that, I use another mandrel with slot and piece of crocus sanding roll cloth at 50 grit to flap the entire port to remove any irregularities and stray cartridge roll marks.  I polish the exhaust ports the same way with a 120 grit flapper crocus cloth. 
     I studied with a master porter who supplied Ford heads for competition in SCCA mustangs, and Buick heads for the GTP race cars back in the late '80s and early '90s and did my first flow bench work while working at that shop.  I have been a one man shop for the last 30 years, working with several local machine shops and racing shops.  I built a shop at home 21 years ago, and have my own SF-600 flow bench, porting booth with dust collection ability, and enough equipment to assemble all my engines, and work on my own vehicles with a lift.
Here are a few of the tools used to port heads and intake manifolds.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2020, 06:20:02 PM »
Thanks, Joe.  That is more explicit detail than I have ever seen anywhere and will be helpful to me as I have some garden variety FE heads I'd like to tart up.  Your knowledge is a tremendous value to this forum and I for one appreciate it.

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2020, 07:21:38 PM »
As do I... Thank you. It is greatly appreciated.

winr1

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2020, 11:19:00 PM »
Best FE forum, best FE folks ......

Ricky.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2020, 12:37:20 AM »
That's a lot of money in carbide bits sitting there. Do you do each stage to each port, then move on to the next stage for each port, or do you concentrate on one port at a time? To me anyway, it seems easier to match work when doing one step to every port so that you are repeating the same job. But you have way more experience, so it might just come natural to you to do each port individually.

Then how do you start matching ports? I'm assuming you finish the head, then try to match flows to the best port?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2020, 07:08:12 AM »
Joe, have you ever used a tool called a Dyna Flex?  It`s a belt drive hand sander we use to polish SST welds and other contour places on tubing. I personally have used it on heads to clean casting to a smooth surface.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2020, 09:16:35 AM »
I ment to say Dyna File, Not dyna Flex.

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2020, 11:47:45 AM »
I always try to use the same carbide/stone/cartridge roll on all eight ports instead of working one port at the time.  It is a waste of time and energy to have to change the bits for each operation if you try to finish one port at the time.  It is much quicker overall to do the same operation to every port.  I do keep the different die grinders loaded with different sizes so that all I have to do is grab the next one to work in the same area without having to turn the head over multiple times.   I use a simple 8" hand sander from Lowes with sheet sandpaper for straight edges like the firedeck, intake manifold side, exhaust ports, etc. to clean them before scribing, flowing on flow bench, and after finishing up.  Keeps the straight edges clean and neat looking.  One of the best devices I have found to save cartridge rolls from destroying themselves with high speed die grinders is the router adapter for speed control.  It allows me to slow down my die grinder and get the finish I need.  Better torque than using the air grinders and pressure control of speed.  I also use 1/4" teflon tubing on the shanks of the 6" long carbides when trying to protect aluminum deep inside a port from the shanks biting the aluminum and making divots in the wrong spots.  Doesn't affect balance of the carbide, and saves having to rework errors.  I use WD-40 spray on my carbide burrs to keep them from loading up when working cast aluminum.  Makes the carbides stay sharper much longer and leaves a clean cut into the aluminum.   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2020, 03:23:23 PM »
Joe  you are giving away all your secrets  lol.. 

We are fortunate on this forum to have someone with Joe's skill and experience and who will share his knowledge. 
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2020, 04:43:03 PM »
I will be 75 my birthday, so my "secrets" need to be passed on to someone who will use them.  The more a person does this kind of work, the more everyone's work starts to look the same since you can only do so much with these old iron heads.  Porting is taking away metal to gain airflow, you just have to learn where to take it out and not make things worse, or worse yet, make holes.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

KsHighboy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2020, 08:10:39 PM »
So for someone who doesn't know. Is 42cfm a big gain?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2020, 08:36:49 PM »

Yep, a very big gain.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2020, 09:53:22 PM »

Could be an 80+ hp gain in the right combo
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

KsHighboy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2020, 10:56:33 PM »
Wow, up to 80hp? I wasn't expecting that.