Author Topic: Ideal Flathead combustion chamber shape  (Read 10931 times)

gt350hr

• View Profile
Re: Ideal Flathead combustion chamber shape
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2020, 03:05:19 PM »
   Side valve. Unlimited lift and duration cams

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2020, 05:31:29 PM »
Frozen, the Ford valves is angeled to, about 10 degrees dont remember the
corect amount now. dont knowhow much the lincoln is angeled

Those Lincoln Flathead you could still buy new in Sweden in the 80s.
Beacuse the Army had them in assaultgun, IKV72. They upgraded to a
Volvo aero engine and sold the spare engines. many probably lurks in barns
and under garage benches, i know of one guy who put one in a Willys Jeep
I was offered two new ones as Ford flatheads, but dont bougt them
when i saw they where Lincolns, big lumps

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2020, 06:55:36 PM »

Also, Don't overlook the Seagrave / American La-France / Pierce Arrow V12's for inspiration.  They tried some really unique setups, like in the 906.  Is this a OHV, or a flathead???

Just a note: Seagrave introduced their 906 cubic inch V12 engine in 1931, and Pierce Arrow's V12 at 398 cubic inches wasn't in production until the following year.  This makes for a curious thought of who may have copied who; but I believe that I remember reading somewhere that perhaps Seagrave had investigated, or perhaps were courted by Pierce as an engine supplier, but after realizing the engine, although a V12, was still not of sufficient capacity for their big fire apparatus, Seagrave may have "barrowed" some of Pierces' engineering witnessed to produce their own more suitable example and at a cost savings vs. purchasing such from Pierce.

Later, (1938 +/-) after Pierce Arrow faltered, Seagrave purchased the tooling for the Pierce V12's then having been produced in 398, 429 and 462 cubic inch capacities and set off with the Seagrave 462 and 531 cubic inch models used in the smaller fire apparatus examples with some re-engineering making the engine series more suitable for their needs.   

There, more useless information for ya!             ::)

Scott.

B.T.W., which engine is in the picture?             :-\

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2020, 07:36:07 PM »
That Seagrave / American La-France / Pierce Arrow, really muddy's waters, to call it a "flat Head". The valve is completely "over" the cylinders.

Actually, I really like the Cord/Lycoming but, I think it would be would be iffy since FH's are generally considered "L" heads.  In a competition that is for "flat heads", I'm sure there would be a protest on the Cord type, valve arrangement, that would have to be decided by who ever makes the rules.
Frank

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2020, 10:33:50 PM »

Also, Don't overlook the Seagrave / American La-France / Pierce Arrow V12's for inspiration.  They tried some really unique setups, like in the 906.  Is this a OHV, or a flathead???

Pictured is the Auburn V12, which was sold to American La France after Auburn folded. It was a clean sheet design by Auburn, and at $1100 an Aunburn V12 car was one of the greatest automotive bargains ever. Since Cord owned both Auburn and Lycoming, all Cord and Auburn engines of that era were built there.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 10:36:12 PM by Hemi Joel »

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2020, 01:49:34 PM »
We have some great ideas to get started with, thanks for all the help.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2020, 11:25:15 AM »

I don't think the 3 mains are a problem if, you use a 180 crank. The Novi (Indy engine) was reliable with 3 mains at 8k+ rpm.

Why is that? Is the 180 crank stiffer?