Author Topic: Hone overdrive?  (Read 3585 times)

plovett

Hone overdrive?
« on: October 25, 2020, 05:08:41 PM »
Anybody ever use a Hone overdrive on their 9 inch Ford?  I know Gearvendors is the thing now, but I like the old school vibe with the giant manual shift lever on the trans tunnel? 

thanks for any experiences or thoughts,

paulie

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: Hone overdrive?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 09:20:15 AM »
Doesn't Ross have one on his pickup?  Seems I recall pictures being posted years ago?  Or was it someone else??
Larry

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 09:51:11 AM »
     Yeah, we used one in a '70 Shelby with a modified 427T.P.; they're a little clunky and slow to operate, and you don't what to put to much power to them, particularly the "hit" on the leave as they're engineering is based on the even older B. W. overdrives from the '50's.

Also keep in mind that the Gear Vendors O.D. is based on the Laycock de Normanville system also of the '50's most popularly witnessed in the European sports cars and later very popular production application with Volvo thru the '80's.       :)

Scott.

plovett

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 07:13:59 PM »
     Yeah, we used one in a '70 Shelby with a modified 427T.P.; they're a little clunky and slow to operate, and you don't what to put to much power to them, particularly the "hit" on the leave as they're engineering is based on the even older B. W. overdrives from the '50's.

Also keep in mind that the Gear Vendors O.D. is based on the Laycock de Normanville system also of the '50's most popularly witnessed in the European sports cars and later very popular production application with Volvo thru the '80's.       :)

Scott.

Thanks!  How about the Doug Nash add on overdrive?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 10:32:14 PM »
Had an LdN overdrive in my Austin Healey. One of the idiosyncrasies was that at high speed it wouldn't stay in overdrive and  you'd be treated to a sudden jump in RPMs when you got up over a hundred. The only answer was to not go fast enough to make it kick out. >:(

KS

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 10:29:45 AM »
   I have two F350 race car haulers , one with a Doug Nash/US Gear and the other with a Gear Vendors. While both work and are about the same amount of change % , the Gear Vendors is THE smoothest IMHO. It is also MUCH smaller allowing it to fit more applications without "body" modifications. I used to sell the Hone units and had more than one "break off" at the mounting flange after a "drag race" start. This ( of course) voided the warranty from them which ruined their image. The unit should not have been added to the "torque reacting" differential. The added length increased the "leverage" causing the breakage.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 10:57:40 AM »
Doesn't Ross have one on his pickup?  Seems I recall pictures being posted years ago?  Or was it someone else??

Wasn't me, although some day I'd like to put a 5 or more speed tranny in it to replace the NP435
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 11:12:39 AM »
Had an LdN overdrive in my Austin Healey. One of the idiosyncrasies was that at high speed it wouldn't stay in overdrive and  you'd be treated to a sudden jump in RPMs when you got up over a hundred. The only answer was to not go fast enough to make it kick out. >:(

KS

Reminds me of an adventure I had at Ford.  I was logging data on a test car with the first electronically controlled automatic transmission built by the company.  The boss advised me to be be careful because the car had cost three million dollars to build (!).  He also mentioned that there might be a few software glitches.

Well, I discovered one of those glitches while traveling down the Southfield Freeway at 70 mph.  The thing shifted from fourth to first gear with no warning  :o  After getting the car onto the shoulder and pulling my boxers back out of my butt, I looked around for any spare parts.  No problem!  I fired up the car and drove back to the office a bit more gingerly.  The software guys fixed the "bug". 

I also got to experience a bug in the ABS system on an '89 Continental test car.  Coming back from a meeting across town, as I pulled into the office parking spot the pedal went full hard - ABS kicking.  No brakes  :o  Fortunately the car just bounced back off the curb and I slammed it into Park.  Live to fight another day, and file another software bug report...
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 11:21:50 AM »

Wasn't me, although some day I'd like to put a 5 or more speed tranny in it to replace the NP435

Dang, who on here had one?  It was likely the old Forums, but a regular poster had it.  I thought it was in a pickup and you were my first thought, but something told me it wasnt you.
Larry

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 11:32:53 AM »
I'd play with one, but mine is a 4x4 so I'd need something before the transfer case
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »
On the other end of the spectrum (drivetrain...). I run an Advance Adaptors Ranger overdrive in my '85 F-350.  It fits between the trans and bellhousing.  Easy install, required shortening the driveshaft and lengthening the speed-o cable.  Works really well to be able to split gears with the old IH oil burner.  Bit more work for Ross on his 4x4.  Only down fall is the main 4 spd shifter got pushed back 7", which prevents the bench seat from being pulled all the way forward.  Prevents short legged folks from driving the truck.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 02:18:25 PM »
   .................the Gear Vendors is THE smoothest IMHO.

This is because the Gear Vendors (Laycock) epicyclic gear set is always constant running or "in-mesh" and the operation of engagement entails only the hydraulic application of a cone clutch versus the others mentioned are actually acquiring engagement thru mechanical sliding mesh gears or syncro-ring hub assemblies.        ;)

Scott.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 02:25:12 PM »
 Yea , what he said.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 05:08:53 PM »
On the other end of the spectrum (drivetrain...). I run an Advance Adaptors Ranger overdrive in my '85 F-350.  It fits between the trans and bellhousing.  Easy install, required shortening the driveshaft and lengthening the speed-o cable.  Works really well to be able to split gears with the old IH oil burner.  Bit more work for Ross on his 4x4.  Only down fall is the main 4 spd shifter got pushed back 7", which prevents the bench seat from being pulled all the way forward.  Prevents short legged folks from driving the truck.

I had one of those in front of a NP435 for a while. Worked fine with the 390 and later the 460, but the Perkins would make it eat bearings like nobodies business. I built a new shifter for the top of the 435 so it came thru the floor in close to the stock spot, but it took a few test fits and a lot of heating and bending.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 04:49:11 PM »
I have a Doug Nash for a c-6 I don't need any more as I have switched to a 6R80 I would let go for what I have in it. I all so have all the parts [electric] to hook it up with the c 6 adapter. It does need a new bearing pressed on the main shaft but is apart so a easy job.
Greg