Author Topic: I gave up on the 1850 Holleys....  (Read 1731 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
I gave up on the 1850 Holleys....
« on: September 10, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »
on my 428 in my '69 F100.

Since everyone is out of gasket kits lately for just about every Holley, I dug out the converted 735's(single feeds) I built last year for the wagon.  I tried them once on the wagon, but they needed more tuning to actually see an improvement ET wise(they were a bit fat on the top end).  I decided to try them on the truck just so I could drive it without the constant flooding out when you shut it off.

WOW, those are snappy!  I'm guessing it's the step boosters that really kick the response signal up compared to the 1850's(one reason I didn't like them on the wagon).  I only went around the block last night, but I like it.   Still a couple things to button up(like make rods for the air cleaner lid nuts), but these don't leak down when you shut it off, so that's a check mark in the WIN column.

For the life of me I don't know where the fuel is coming from on those 1850.  I've never had such issues with a Holley carb.  That rear one was leaking externally pretty bad down the intake and puddling up.  Likely from the throttle shafts from when it drowns itself when you shut it off?  Front carb area was always dry.  I have a few Holley books, but I need to really read up on them to see just what EVERY channel does and why.
Larry

RJP

• View Profile
Re: I gave up on the 1850 Holleys....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 01:33:47 PM »
Throttle shafts don't leak fuel on their own. Actual shaft "leakage" is from fuel dripping from the boosters. If you do not see fuel dripping from the boosters from above the leakage is elsewhere. That 'elsewhere' source of leakage externally can be from warpage between the throttle base plate and the main body. Separate the base from the main body and you will see 2 fuel passages from the primary to the secondary idle feed/transfer slot. Surface the main body to assure it is flat as they are almost always high in the attaching side screw areas. Leakage here will look like fuel dripping from the throttle shaft. Another source of leakage is the base plate itself. I've found base plates that had casting fissures that leaked fuel from these transfer passages, a quick pass with a flycutter in the mill cures that problem.   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:19:42 PM by RJP »

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »
Why is there a line across the last couple of text lines in my post? >:( >:(

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 02:31:14 PM »
That's weird as all get-out. 

Test Strike through 

There is a strike through format icon after Bold, Italic, Underline - maybe you hit that by accident.  Edit the post and look for "s" or "/s" in brackets.

Agree, the base plate, bottom of the main body and the metering block main body surfaces need to be plane flat to make sure you get a good seal.  The only troubles with the 1850s I did for the 351C t-ram test was with them leaving hard, then stumbling just after the pump shots were done (1:1 openings).  Went way down and up on shooter sizes and never got it cleared.  There's no room for 50cc pumps unless you add 1/2" spacers on top of a ram, so I may have to go back later and see if that is a "fix".  But first - i'll hook up some data acquisition equipment to find out if it's really going lean.  They also stumbled at about 6200~6300 but after testing a methanol single carb fuel setup that may turn out to be an ignition problem and not a fuel problem.  Went back to gas and saw a similar issue above 6000, in the process of changing out the distributor. 

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 03:21:48 PM »
Thanks Chris...Had a letter "S" in brackets.  edited it and that did the trick.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 07:45:08 PM »
I know there is no fuel at the shafts, but that is where it has been dribbling from and puddling on the sides of the intake.  I was inspecting the main body/ lower plate surface the other night.  Looks fine, but since you can't buy new gaskets right now it's a moot point.   I saw the transfer slots and figure that might be the cause?  It's just been aggravating since I have never had so much problem with a carb before. It was fine for years, now suddenly crap.
Larry

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 09:31:29 PM »
I’m not sure about this gasket shortage, last time I home I bought about $1500 worth of Holley gaskets.
I’m at work now, but in the future lemme know

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 10:23:44 PM »
Same here, in the past 2 weeks, I bought 2 different Holley "Trick Kits", one for a 750 DP, one for a 780 vacuum secondary 3310-1. My local speed shop had both on the shelf.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 10:43:43 AM »
Well Summit is out of stock, and they are minutes from me and that is where I get most of that stuff.  Never a problem, til now.  Don't know what the reason is, but I've had to wait on a variety of things that they didn't have in stock this summer.

Jegs is 2 hours, so they aren't convenient and I hate waiting on the mail to get little stuff like that.   The mail has really turned into "Snail Mail" this summer also from the "virus"  ::)
Larry

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 08:12:02 AM »
Quite a few Holley kits are on backorder at Jegs too. I ordered a couple common 37-754 kits for 3310-1’s almost 3 months ago, still on backorder. Shipping date from Holley keeps getting moved out.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V