Author Topic: Update ...Filter size or filter area required for cubic inch  (Read 1025 times)

winr1

Update ...Filter size or filter area required for cubic inch
« on: September 02, 2020, 11:57:25 PM »
Is there a formula for filter area for cubic inches ??

Took the insides out of my 65 F100 oil bath filter, nothing worked to keep oil from getting on intake

This filter will fit without crowding the air coming in, may include some holes or slots as well

Filter  paper.. Wix

3.910 tall

9.390 OD

6.660 ID

2.73 thick

Ricky
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:58:04 PM by winr1 »

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Filter size or filter area required for cubic inch
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 07:58:39 AM »
 A = (C.I.D. x RPM) / 25,500 -   So requirement for a 390 at 5000 RPM = 76 square inches

To find filter area, it's a little more difficult, but good thing is a paper filter should have more area with pleats than the math will show, and there is a lot of fudging here and there with height too

Area = Circumference (likely greater in a paper filter X  Height (likely less in a paper filter due to rubber ends)

C= 2piR or pi X diameter

For your filter, that comes out to 115, so you have more than the minimum for the engine I put at the top

(Pi X 9.39) X 3.91 = 115 square inches

There is a ton of wrong in that calculation though, LOL, the OD measured OD of the filter will be less than the rubber, the measured circumference of the paper will by MUCH larger due to the pleats, and the height of the filter is likely not the height of the media

Here is a calculator, no idea if it's right, but slightly more detail than a pure area comparison with lots of fudged figures :) and it came up pretty more conservative but still good

https://www.secondstrike.com/Technical/AirCleanerCalc.asp

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 12:29:29 PM »
Not sure how you intend to put that paper element inside the oil bath but don't do it like the guy who came over to look at my oil bath air cleaner. He bought the truck like that and brough his oil bath over. There was a paper element inside and the sheetmetal baffles were cut away. But no inner lid or nothing on top of the element so air is free to just run in the snorkle and overtop the element.  Kind of like having a 6 foot chain link fence around your yard to keep birds out.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 10:48:00 PM »
Tom---

It might work for eagles if you could keep them a a 4-foot height!

KS

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 08:53:01 AM »
>Is there a formula for filter area for cubic inches ??

No.  My door car runs the same with a 14x3 element or the single 5x3 in the Hilborn style scoop. 

winr1

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 09:56:55 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

Not sure if the lid will look odd with the 3.910 tallfilter

oysters hampstead nc

Not much room for air to enter

Thought I might trim the lower piece edge lower and leave a slight lip
.................................................................................................
Found another filter .. 3.545 tall....  9.718 OD ...  8.187 ID ...  1.523 thick
The lid fits lower ( of course.. )
.............................................................................................
Going to cut out a round setion of something to seal the top of the filter

Have seen various filter bodys where some have cut slots and or holes to allow more area

Had a 4 barrel oval filter on the truck before and it was loud cruising, even more so when acceleration

Ricky.