Author Topic: Mallory parts book information  (Read 3118 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Mallory parts book information
« on: August 14, 2020, 10:56:15 AM »
Ok, anyone have an actual Mallory parts book from the 80's?  90's?

I have a 2655302 crab cap tach drive distributor that I would like to find the correct parts for.  The biggest issue I found is getting the correct rotor.  The crab cap is available and I'm sure the points and condenser are generic.

You can buy a 26 series rotor, but it is NOT for a crab cap(which is a much shorter rotor).   Google lists nothing, I talked to Summit racing and they have no books or information on the REAL part number I could look for.  I've searched plenty of places, but nothing comes up.  Heck the crab cap number comes up as a std cap now if you search it.  I know a few guys here have offered to sell me a crab cap distributor, but I only need a rotor(or two for that matter).  I have the taller tach drive distributor and I thought I had a cap/rotor for it, but can't seem to find them right now.

I have a 2655301 in the wagon, basically the same distributor but it is a std cap.  You can't mix/match parts because the cap register diameter is smaller on the crab cap model.  Now, that's not to say I don't just make a ring to change that and make a std cap fit(and rotor).   I'm going to do some measuring on the wagon and the blower motor.  I know a std cap will fit(I have stock ford distributor in it now), but a crab cap would allow me to actually REMOVE the cap with the blower in place which is the whole reason for this project.
Larry

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Mallory parts book information
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 01:23:27 PM »
I have two older Mallory catalogs,  I checked the Jan 1979 Mallory catalog, and I couldn’t find anything  with either that distributor number or the flat cap & rotor, but in the Oct 1988 catalog I found a diagram and part numbers on the marine distributors which shows the flat cap. I didn’t see any info in that catalog on your distributor part number though. The diagram shows a part number 319 rotor. It also shows that 319 rotor with a 427 Chris Craft marine distributor with flat cap. I did a little internet searching, and it looks like that 319 rotor has been discontinued, but maybe not long ago. It shows it discontinued on the Holley website, but still has the picture up. There are some NOS Mallory #319 rotors on eBay, with pictures, so maybe that will help to see if that’s the right one. And yes, Summit shows that #221B flat cap as still available new. Here are the catalog pages I’m referring to.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 01:49:58 PM »
I see one of the eBay Mallory #319 rotors shows an older box with a much different looking rotor. I have no idea if it changed along the way, or if the seller has a miss-boxed part, but again it’s a picture to check.

Also doing some web searching I see a couple people mention a Napa/Echlin #FA-64 as a replacement for the Mallory #319, so you might want to check that possibility.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »
The Speedway Motors website is showing the #319 “older” style rotor, like listed in the EBay ad, in their “garage sale” section. Looks like it says call for availability. Listed under part number #500319.

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 02:27:19 PM »
Thanks a TON Kevin.  That is the kind of information I was looking for.

The rotor they show is the typical "taller" style that fits a std cap.  It does physically fit my distributor shaft, but is too tall for a crab cap.  I played around last night with a std cap and std rotor and it "works" but the cap is sloppy due to the difference in body diameter where it fits the distributor.  That is why I will have to do some modifying if all else fails.  I have the teknulogy!!!  ;)

That rotor from Speedway looks like what I need, very short in height.  It looks to be the same as the one for my "YC" tach drive distributor I have that I used to run in the wagon before buying the "YL" version I have now.  I need to get the rotor out from it and see if it fits the 26 series(YL).  If that works, I'm golden!

I'll get this all figured out one way or 'nuther. 
Thanks again for the effort.
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 02:38:02 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 02:39:49 PM »
In the little bit of reading I did it looks there were a few similar looking Mallory rotors, but the shaft size may have been the difference. Just a FYI you might want to check and watch for.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 09:21:47 PM »
And pictures are very deceiving, thus I'm trying to get as much information as I can.  Especially since they reused part numbers for parts that aren't the same thing.

I went out and found the short rotor from my that other YL tach drive.  Only real issue is it is really, really sloppy and you can get way too much rotation out of it before the shaft turns.  Ugh.  I hope a new one fits better?  I know the YC model had slop to it also and I used a touch of silicone on it to firm the fit up.  I need to check my blue truck and the YL in it to see how it fits, along with the one in the wagon.  They all can't be that sloppy.
Larry

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 09:37:33 PM »
This is part of a current Ebay auction, so it'll vanish at some point, but it filled in a couple of gaps for me.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ASUAAOSwe7peqFbO/s-l1600.jpg

gregb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 12:06:46 PM »
See if you can find an old Standard ignition catalog, they used to make that stuff...

gregb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 12:16:23 PM »
Try 18-5411 Sierra Marine.   I don’t know about the shaft size, some of those boat engines used a skinny distributor  shaft and I can’t find a pic of the bottom of the rotor .West Marine carries the brand, but fir 7 or 8 bucks on eBay it won’t break the bank to try one. 

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 01:58:57 PM »
Thanks Greg.  That rotor was about identical to the YC version I have, but the YC uses a hollow shaft with a notch in for location.  The 26 series YL uses a flat cut on shaft which is what that one looks to be.  For $7, I bought it.

This is part of a current Ebay auction, so it'll vanish at some point, but it filled in a couple of gaps for me.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ASUAAOSwe7peqFbO/s-l1600.jpg

Thanks, I saved that picture to my computer for future reference.
Larry

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 04:51:11 PM »
Larry: checked my Mallory distributors today and most are YC. The 3 YL's I have  are all tach drive with crab caps.  (none have a rotor)
Yes you are correct YL's have a solid shaft with thinner body. YC's have the hollow shaft and body seems to be 1/4" wider
I've got a new in the box YC353 HP with new cap rotor and all the other parts. They will not fit the YL version.

Richard >>> FERoadster

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 05:08:32 PM »
I just checked the pickup and wagon, both have newer style YL rotor with larger shaft and much better fitment.  These early YL have just 1/4" of engagement on the .375 shaft and become sloppy very easily.  The distributor I just got had a spring clip installed to give more "tightness", though it was still sloppy on rotation.  I found another upper piece and thought it was tighter (with no spring clip) but it had rotation also.  No good for setting timing when rotor moves 5-10*. 

I removed the upper rod and realize it is an easy fix.  Just need a piece of .375 rod and mill a new flat that is more inline with what the rotor is.  The old shaft is like .300 across the flat.  The rotors are .330 which gives it slop.  Pretty ease upgrade for when that new rotor shows up.  I'll hit Summit for a new cap and points.  It should all come together now.    I have a few pictures and will post them later. 

Thanks again everyone for the input.
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 08:22:23 PM »
This is the top pin that the rotor registers on.  The flat is cut too deep, thus making the rotors sloppy enough that they can rotate around.

This is the two mounting shafts.  The one shows the spring plate that does near nothing to keep the rotor snug.
The one in the distributor is more snug on the shaft because it is 1-2 thousand larger, but the flat is still too deep.

Being they are only .375 mild steel it should be an easy fix to remake it.
Larry