Author Topic: Screw in freeze plug issue on Aluminum FE block  (Read 4112 times)

BigBlueOvalFan

• View Profile
Re: Screw in freeze plug issue on Aluminum FE block
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 11:25:42 AM »
Thank you all for your input, I'm going to give the Moroso seal a try.

If that doesn't work, does anyone know if they produce aluminum screw in freeze plugs for these FE Aluminum blocks ?  Pond only carries their O-ring type that will not fit a Genesis block.  I'm thinking Genesis went out of business partly because of this poor design.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »
Try Tim Meyer, tmeyerinc.com.  He has made brass plugs before, and may have made aluminum plugs also.  He is out today and tomorrow, but back in his shop on Monday.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 02:33:00 PM »
X3 - used the Moroso seal in both a fresh block with only distilled water and a block with antifreeze, although when I use antifreeze I mix it way like, like 20%.  I only shoot for 10~20F.  We're not running if it's below 50 anyway and all I need it enough to maybe sit in the box trailer.  Yes, it should work better without.  If it is a street engine, run the Moroso and distilled water first, drain, flush then go with the street coolant mix. 

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 05:09:29 PM »
 McMaster-Carr lists aluminum pipe plugs in their catalog. They might need to be cut down as they look a little thick but it might be worth looking into.
https://www.mcmaster.com/aluminum-plugs/low-pressure-aluminum-threaded-pipe-and-pipe-fittings/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:12:00 PM by AlanCasida »

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 06:47:32 PM »
McMaster-Carr lists aluminum pipe plugs in their catalog. They might need to be cut down as they look a little thick but it might be worth looking into.
https://www.mcmaster.com/aluminum-plugs/low-pressure-aluminum-threaded-pipe-and-pipe-fittings/

Excellent info.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »
A caution on aluminum pipe plugs. Unless they are anodized, they will gall and seize when used against non anodized aluminum parts. I have gotten away with it, using lithium grease on straight threads but, I haven't done a pipe thread.

Machining them down, is also problematic and you'll need a pipe fitting to screw them into. If the small end needs to be shortened, you'll have to turn a step to hold it, on the big end first, flip it around, shorten the small end, then put it back in the pipe fitting to shorten the big end.

Measure carefully, since the thread is on a taper, it's easy to miss your mark. Screw it in, 2 or 3 times, with the torque you want to use first, before measuring.
Frank

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 03:42:22 PM »
Frank is right, aluminum on aluminum threads can be a bugger.  It might be a good idea to find a pipe dope with teflon in it.  I would also recommend a soft setting dope and I wouldn't crank them in too tight.

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2020, 05:24:24 PM »
Note, if these are o-ring or mechanically sealed they may not be a tapered pipe thread at all.
They may be straight pipe and or dry-seal threads as well as a gasket or o-ring seal and they could be any thread pitch the manufacturer decided to use. Tapered dry seal threads are available in two tapers, 3/4" per foot" and 7/8" per foot (more common in automotive applications)
There are many variations of "pipe thread", rarely if ever are "water pipe threads" used in automotive applications, they have a built in "leak" at the root of the thread.
edit to add: gasket (mechanically) sealed usually indicates a straight thread.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 05:29:30 PM by C6AE »

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2020, 08:20:22 PM »
Yes C6AE is correct, identifying the type of thread/sealing method is key.  I'm pretty sure Ford factory plugs were 1 1/2" NPT (National Pipe Thread) for what that's worth.  No matter what, putting some thread schmutz for lubrication and to help seal can't hurt.

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2020, 09:27:00 PM »
Yes C6AE is correct, identifying the type of thread/sealing method is key.  I'm pretty sure Ford factory plugs were 1 1/2" NPT (National Pipe Thread) for what that's worth.  No matter what, putting some thread schmutz for lubrication and to help seal can't hurt.

I'm pretty sure they are Dry-Seal threads which are a slightly different thread form, often used with a NPS (Straight) female thread to insure uniform depth of the plugs. (It is almost impossible to do production tapered threads and keep a uniform depth of seat)

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »
Are the threads really important?
Couldn't you find an aluminum plug the fits "good enough", and then weld it in? No leaks.
Is there any reason to ever remove the plugs?