Author Topic: 1961 Thunderbird 390...  (Read 16037 times)

frnkeore

• View Profile
Re: 1961 Thunderbird 390...(and another GTH game...)
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2020, 02:41:56 AM »
The H304P has a CH of 1.759 and .031 nominal deck clearance but, the L2143AF, with it's 1.776 CH, has .014 DC with a 6.49 rod (nominal is actually 6.488). They both have valve reliefs and a recess but, I don't know how many cc they the recess is.

When figuring CR don't forget the area down to the first ring, it's about 1.2cc on a 4.08 bore if, the first ring is .300 down.

Guessing 12cc (probably more like 15cc) for the recess, that gives 8.92 with 72cc heads for the H304P's, 9.21 with the L2143AF and 9.63, for the later L2291 (1.775 CH). All with a .040 head gasket and stock 10.17 deck.

If you use the .053 gasket, take about .3 off of those figures. That would give 8.48, with .053 gasket and 15cc recess, for the H304P. Going with L2291, .04 gasket and .010 off the deck, you get about 9.8/1, with a good quench and a much better combo.
Frank

KsHighboy

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2020, 06:48:46 AM »
Thank you guys for the info. Very helpful.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2020, 04:04:10 PM »
Working on this one again. 

Bores actually cleaned up with just a thou taken out.   All parts are ordered including new custom Racetec forged pistons, crank is at the grinder's shop, rods are being resized with ARP bolts, camshaft is here, and we have a new (to us) factory aluminum intake manifold. 

Cylinder heads are all finished, decks surfaces cut, bronze valve guides with SI stainless 11/32" valves, valve job, and all new hardware on top including PAC valve springs, Comp locators/retainers, and Viton valve seals. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
Following up here....

Engine is almost ready to dyno:

The Argent Silver valve covers against a satin black engine sure look nice. 

Hope to get it on the dyno in a few weeks. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2020, 01:02:16 PM »
Looks great Brent!
Bob Maag

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2020, 01:31:21 PM »
Agreed!  That's a great looking FE  :)
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2020, 01:49:41 PM »
I've always liked black, over the newer blue.
Frank

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2020, 12:58:48 AM »
It was rebuilt by the "Proformance" guys in NJ.

In that case, I'd be surprised if it survives the dyno pulls. Those guys strike me as snake-oil salesmen.

Doug called it.  Couldn't even make a pull on it, got it up and running and the thing was so noisy we shut it down. 

I got it home and stripped some of it down.  Cam was trashed and it wasn't because the lobes were wiped, it was because there was a problem with the installation so that lifters were contacting adjoining cam lobes. 

So this is a '61 engine that did not come with a thrust plate.  However, when I tore it down, it had a spring/button that was located on the cam bolt.  One-piece eccentric, with a newer style cam gear.

I'm a newbie to these old style setups, I don't recall seeing one before.  Did the original old style camshafts have anything different on the front of them?  This one has a typical nose like I'm used to seeing.
Brent the old style cams were different,they had kind of a flange on the front used the thrust button that rode against the timing cover,used a narrower timing set,you should be able to convert the block to use the retainer plate,cant remember if you have to tap the oil galleys or if there is a boss that has to be drilled and tapped,but I'm pretty sure the block has whatever is needed to do it.Also check the the main thrust bearing flange in the block,it probably has the earlier smaller diameter flange.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2020, 07:03:26 AM »

In that case, I'd be surprised if it survives the dyno pulls. Those guys strike me as snake-oil salesmen.

Doug called it.  Couldn't even make a pull on it, got it up and running and the thing was so noisy we shut it down. 

I got it home and stripped some of it down.  Cam was trashed and it wasn't because the lobes were wiped, it was because there was a problem with the installation so that lifters were contacting adjoining cam lobes. 

So this is a '61 engine that did not come with a thrust plate.  However, when I tore it down, it had a spring/button that was located on the cam bolt.  One-piece eccentric, with a newer style cam gear.

I'm a newbie to these old style setups, I don't recall seeing one before.  Did the original old style camshafts have anything different on the front of them?  This one has a typical nose like I'm used to seeing.
Brent the old style cams were different,they had kind of a flange on the front used the thrust button that rode against the timing cover,used a narrower timing set,you should be able to convert the block to use the retainer plate,cant remember if you have to tap the oil galleys or if there is a boss that has to be drilled and tapped,but I'm pretty sure the block has whatever is needed to do it.Also check the the main thrust bearing flange in the block,it probably has the earlier smaller diameter flange.

Way ahead of you, sir....

This one is ready, has been fully machined, converted to thrust plate, new custom roller cam, new custom pistons, roller rockers, etc.  It's ready to dyno. 

To answer your question, the ends of the galleries are where you drill/tap.  One hole is the passenger side lifter gallery, the other hole is the hole that feeds the distributor shaft/gear.

It does have an earlier thrust flange.  That's easy to deal with, it doesn't take much dressing of a King bearing to get it to slide on.  If you do choose to use something like a Federal Mogul bearing, then it's easy to clamp them around a mandrel and quickly cut the flange down in a lathe. 

The picture of the finished engine is up above. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2020, 07:45:19 PM »

Way ahead of you, sir....

This one is ready, has been fully machined, converted to thrust plate, new custom roller cam, new custom pistons, roller rockers, etc.  It's ready to dyno. 

To answer your question, the ends of the galleries are where you drill/tap.  One hole is the passenger side lifter gallery, the other hole is the hole that feeds the distributor shaft/gear.

It does have an earlier thrust flange.  That's easy to deal with, it doesn't take much dressing of a King bearing to get it to slide on.  If you do choose to use something like a Federal Mogul bearing, then it's easy to clamp them around a mandrel and quickly cut the flange down in a lathe. 

The picture of the finished engine is up above.
Oops my bad ,guess I need to finish reading the whole thread before reply.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: 1961 Thunderbird 390...
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2021, 01:13:33 PM »
Finally got this one dyno'd today.....

Final numbers are 390 hp @ 5400 and 458 lb-ft at 3600. 

Who got the closest?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

winr1

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2021, 01:43:31 PM »
Nice build !!

Did you post the cam specs or that between you and owner ??

CJ sized valves ??

Ricky.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2021, 01:53:41 PM »
Nice build !!

Did you post the cam specs or that between you and owner ??

CJ sized valves ??

Ricky.

I can give most of them....LOL

219/227 @ .050", 109 LSA, .605" lift.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431