Author Topic: Oil Pan Swap - Pump Pickup Tube Adjustment?  (Read 1514 times)

CV355

• View Profile
Oil Pan Swap - Pump Pickup Tube Adjustment?
« on: February 25, 2021, 09:42:00 AM »
As I feared, my nice, shiny, newly-coated REF headers do not clear the Moroso T-shaped oil pan.  I can't even ding the headers to fit, it is a full length of interference.  I am going to have to pull the pan and go with a traditional style 5qrt (any takers on the shiny new pan?  Will be in classifieds soon...)

Will I have to adjust the oil pickup tube?  It looks like both pans are the same depth. 

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Oil Pan Swap - Pump Pickup Tube Adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 09:45:18 AM »
Pan mod?
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 09:51:58 AM »
Pan mod?

Oh I am tempted.  I like this pan.  I would have to chop both extensions and weld on plates at an angle to clear the frontmost primaries.

Good thing I just bought a trusty new Miller welder...  Maybe I should mod the pan after all
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:01:45 AM by CV355 »

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 10:36:16 AM »
Your going to spend a minute or 240 under the car with the pan off and headers installed then measure measure measure. Make sure it’s only 1 tube. Get a good idea of the header “foot print”.

If it is only one tube or one per side I say knot has the pan
Lance H

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 10:40:16 AM »
Your going to spend a minute or 240 under the car with the pan off and headers installed then measure measure measure. Make sure it’s only 1 tube. Get a good idea of the header “foot print”.

If it is only one tube or one per side I say knot has the pan

Well I guess I know what I am going to be doing this weekend.  But, it needs to be done.  Thankfully we did have the REF headers Jet-Hot coated, so I don't need much of an air gap with the oil pan to be safe.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 07:11:35 PM »
If you do swap to a different pan,you should put a piece of putty in there to check clearance just to be on the safe side.If its close you might be able to tweak the existing pickup a little to make it right.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 07:42:32 AM »
If you do swap to a different pan,you should put a piece of putty in there to check clearance just to be on the safe side.If its close you might be able to tweak the existing pickup a little to make it right.

I keep a big ball of silly putty for that exact reason.  A machinist taught me that trick a long time ago and I have kept some on hand ever since.

I am going to take a stab at modifying the oil pan.  I went out to the garage yesterday after work and tried mocking up the primaries again just to see how severe it is.  It's really just the rear corners of the pan extensions.  I can slice off a 1.5" 3-way chamfer on the ends and cap it and it should clear.   

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 08:29:44 AM »
Be fun to have a before and after pic.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 08:43:24 AM »
Be fun to have a before and after pic.

I'll make sure of it.  I just have to figure out what I have on hand that I can re-coat the corners with to blend with the clear zinc.