Author Topic: Edelbrock fuel injection install  (Read 11423 times)

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock fuel injection install
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 06:45:40 PM »
Hmm
The wagon may need this.

Be interested in mileage vs carb.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:47:32 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 12:29:57 PM »
So funny day today, went out in the neighborhood, attempting to make bigger circles until I felt safe to hit the road.

Well, in front of a jogger I tried to accelerate easy and it LEAPT, then my foot came off and it bark the tires as it slowed, and I did that all the way home.  WTF

I tried some tuning, then went to Edelbrock's web site and it's pretty common in manual linkage throttles, to get the travel for the ford linkage, you put the ball close to the pivot point, but it gets so touchy you can't drive it

I ended up moving it as far out on the throttle arm as I could, knowing I wouldn't get full throttle, but I wanted to diagnose.  It drove beautiful....

I got about 20 miles on it, got better as it went, fuel pump is UNBEARABLE, I left a message for the company in OK so we'll see if I have a bad one or need to find another. 

Right now a/f mixtures are set for 13.8 idle, 13.5 cruise, and 12.8 WOT.  I think I am going to lean things up quite a bit, at least for cruise and see how it does.  There are so many different options, I'll have to sneak up on it one change at a time, but even now it runs well.  So far a success

Tomorrow I will wire it permanently, come up with a plan for the fuel pump and throttle, and then likely start using it for a daily driver for a bit and see how it does.    My gut tells me I am going to have to do some sort of progressive cable setup for the throttle, I just don't see the stock Ford working, although I do have the original 71 bellcrank I can see if I can adapt, I still think it'll be too quick

Success I think, at least after I can get the angle grinder fuel pump back to Oklahoma or in someone's race car!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 05:08:20 PM »
My GOD that fuel pump is horrendous!  That is year 2020 stuff right there! Hopefully they send you a new one or ear protection. Good update. Since you are modernizing the old girl just do some fly by wire HAHA.  Good thread, nice truck.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 08:37:03 PM »
  My gut tells me I am going to have to do some sort of progressive cable setup for the throttle, I just don't see the stock Ford working, although I do have the original 71 bellcrank I can see if I can adapt, I still think it'll be too quick

Success I think, at least after I can get the angle grinder fuel pump back to Oklahoma or in someone's race car!

Could you maybe use the pedal off a dent side pickup and convert it to cable? Dents had both mechanical and cable throttle pedals and I've used the cable pedal when I've done out of the ordinary engine swaps or combos to make it easier to get full throttle and not end up with weird pedal travel issues.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 10:39:37 PM »
That’s a good idea, I need to finish revamping the wiring and then I’ll figure out what to do with the pedal it works really well now but I don’t get full throttle, drivable but not fully capable

I’m hoping if I extend it slightly I can find a balance between sensitivity and full throttle, If not I’ll have to replace it or do some work to both sides of the fulcrum
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 02:13:33 PM »
Here's a funny thing today...

Finished up all my wiring for now, I do plan on getting some fabric style tape and once the wiring harness warms up and get s settled to where it's going to be happy, I am going to retape to make it look more "1971" LOL

However, I spent a good part of the morning, wiring the tach output to my Sun Super Tach.  No workie...

Talked to Edelbrock, because the test light showed a constant voltage, odd.  BUT I had in my head, MSD,...well, after we trouble shoot and discuss adapters for square wave tach signals I ask.  "Can I just hook it to the negative side of the coil?"

The guy says, "Sure, of course, the system doesn't care"....ROFL, so I hooked the tach up to the original wire and as they say "Honeybadger don't care!"  The tach is working and the Edelbrock ECM is happy, the truck runs great.

A few miles on it and I will determine what I want to do for a quieter pump, but its 70 degrees and clear, I am going for a good ride

I am starting to like this system, it's not as adjustable as my Mustang, but it's pretty decent, especially if you already had a return line fuel system and a vehicle that could easily use an in tank pump.  In fact, I have a GTO I work on, we cammed it and headers, healthy 4 speed 67 4 barrel, we may go this route too.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:15:33 PM by My427stang »
Ross

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 10:00:59 AM »
Good to hear you are coming around on this. You seemed less than impressed with most of it before hand.

I would be very curious to know what the cold weather characteristics. Will it start and go through a proper warm up in 0 degrees like a modern factory style fuel injection. That would be a big selling point for me. I live about 2 blocks from work, to go home I fire up whatever I'm driving let it run a min and putter home that 2 blocks leave it running in the driveway go in change clothes and head to the shop. It is a total pain in the rear with anything carb. Plus a person could add an autostart system. Put one of those on my 7.3 last year, best $400 ever spent especially on that cold blooded bastard.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2020, 12:10:43 PM »
It has a cold start enrichment feature that you can adjust, and it does go to fast idle when cold.  So pretty normal

I still dislike the harness and some silly things.

1 - Given this is a street system, you'd assume heater and gauges.  It'd be very easy over the long run to have two water ports on the Victor, even if you did it on both the EFI and normal Victor, or at least a drillable boss

2 - The put in capital letters that you MUST vacuum reference the regulator at idle to lean it out.  However, there is no place to grab a 1/8 or 3/16 manifold vacuum line.  I am going to drill into the TB and either press a tube in or thread with 1/8 NPT

3 - You have to buy an additional relay for most fuel pumps, theirs is BIG money, but a Painless version is cheap, why not just fold the cost into the system and be able to use a realistic pump

4 - They have two loose relays you have to mount on the fender, another why?  Why not make the plastic ECM case hold the relays, just adds to messy install work.

5 - The stupidest thing EVER, when you link your tablet (that comes from them) to the ECM via bluetooth, it says "confirm you want to connect to ECM #000XXX by entering the ECM number (same number)  You have 8 seconds to do it and do it right.  Doesn't have to be done every time, but it takes 2-3 do-overs and is like some punishment to go super fast or it won't link....why a time limit?

That being said, the loads and adjustments the system does on it's own are quick.  it fired and was happy immediately.  Seems to run real well.
Ross

driveamerican

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 03:34:30 AM »
Now I really can't wait to get back on mine as soon as I get this bowtie out of my shop funny how even in california chevrolet trucks of the 1960-1972 years rusted when people watered their lawn. It came over for rockers now the cab and bed are off to remove previous repairs and complete paint, 4l80, air conditioning, wire harness. Well he's a good friend, but the wife wants her truck under her 5th wheel for spring so I better shut up and get on it.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2020, 05:46:13 AM »
Thanks for that Ross.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2020, 10:16:17 AM »
$2500-$2800 dollars is hard to swallow. Given an average for gas prices around my parts, that's 1000-1100 gallons of fuel. Yikes! That's roughly 61 tanks of fuel! If you pick up 2 MPG, I guess you would essentially pay for it in roughly 32 tanks of gas. I realize that MPG is not the only factor for EFI though.

The controller seems laid out nicely. I think they used a vacuum cleaner motor for the pump. :P That would drive me nuts, in short order!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2020, 07:23:50 PM »
Any update on the PF4 installation?  What did you finally do for the fuel supply/regulator/return routing?  Received by PF4 for my 363, need to get some installation ideas sorted.

Thanks!
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2020, 08:41:04 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, been focused on delivering the two I just dyno'd

The PF4 is doing great when hot, OK when cold.  It almost seems too rich when cold, I have not played with the cold start enrichment.  Its at zero though so a little odd.  You can go negative, I am going to try it.

Once it reaches 160 or so, runs like a dream.  I still have to swap pumps, and I wish I would have put an under body tank back when I did all the body work, but at this point, I am going to leave it.  I have about 75 miles on it since the last update, but with the noisy pump and a 50x50x40 crate in the back, it's not really daily driver fun.  Should be able to jump on it starting 1 Sep or so and wrap it up
Ross

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2020, 07:25:39 AM »
Did you replumb the system to have the fuel run through the rails continuously or just feed the system deadheaded off the bypass regulator?  I'm not clear yet on what the cleanest method would be on these systems.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2020, 08:51:47 AM »
I did not replumb the system.  I decided that I would give it a try based on Edelbrock's tech line saying that many OEM are set up this way, and the fact that I am only at 500-ish HP.  You can monitor rail pressure and I never see a fluctuation but I also don't know the response time of the gauge

That being said, eventually I think I will at least tie them together up front at the feed instead of in series  That would make two 4 cylinder banks.  Seems like there would be a pressure drop. however it's so much of a cleaner install to have the return come right off the regulator.

5 and 6 are farthest from the source, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8  makes me think they could be affected, 1 dumps, cheats 5, and 4 and 2 dump and cheat 6, but not sure.  Maybe I will see if I can move the pressure sensor to the end too.  You have me thinking now LOL

If I separated, I would have 1-X-4-2-X-3 and 5-X-X-6-X-7-8, likely better, we'll see,  Pump first :)

I did find the cold start issue, turns out there was a ECM update, and whether I had a glitch or a bad load, I loaded it yesterday and it started clean as a whistle.  Prior to that it stunk, but I found out it wasn't rich cold it was idling at 22:1, lean as hell.  Cleaned right up with even minor throttle and perfect when 165 degrees or higher,  but now it holds a nice 13.4 at cold start and sounds so much better.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:49:21 AM by My427stang »
Ross