Author Topic: cooling question  (Read 9744 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: cooling question
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2020, 03:59:25 PM »
Wow Harry thats great. It was cool last night but staying at 160 is very cool. This weekend will be a good test 90 and gross out. Its funny you try to make upgrades to electric fans and putting a engine fan is the ticket. Of course the shroud was a big part of it but still.

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2020, 09:06:48 PM »
Our problem that small block guys don’t have it the lack of clearance between the water pump and radiator. It’s hard to find electric fans that move enough air and fit. I have a nice 18” electric that moves air like a hurricane but I can’t make it fit. Do some math a figure out a fan combo that covers the most area of the radiator and clears the pump. I’m running twin 11” fans,with the AC on it runs at 220 parked in traffic,last Saturday 97* here in San Antonio. Rolling at 45 the temp dropped to 195 in about 3 miles. No shroud. I ran a 6 blade solid fan, sounded like a turbine lost noticeable throttle response  but temp parked on 190 with ac on . I tried a clutch fan,that honestly is the best set up , but finding the right clutch and fans and shroud can be a challenge. Something to remember is these cars where designed to drive in many conditions including very hot desert conditions ,tough to beat a heavy duty stock set up.
Lance H

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2020, 09:46:13 PM »
I thought I was making a good improvement with the aluminum rad and the electric fans. To bad I didn't notice the difference sooner and again you were right. Supposed to be in the 90s this weekend will be a good test. If it stays cool Ill put a 180 stat in. I don't have the shroud it broke while stored in my basement. What is the diameter of a mustang big block fan?

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2020, 11:01:26 PM »
Clutch fan is 18 1/4”
Mike

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2020, 08:23:20 AM »
I thought I was making a good improvement with the aluminum rad and the electric fans. To bad I didn't notice the difference sooner and again you were right. Supposed to be in the 90s this weekend will be a good test. If it stays cool Ill put a 180 stat in. I don't have the shroud it broke while stored in my basement. What is the diameter of a mustang big block fan?

Whether it was a waste of money or not to go with the electric, the news that it was something simple is good.  I ended up going with e Flexalite 5555 clutch and their biggest fan that would fit.  It keeps my 489 cool, even when I was in Las Vegas and my car has an A/C condenser up front. 

I don't have mine here to measure, maybe poke around the 428Cobrajet.org forum?
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2020, 12:32:43 PM »
Hi Guys another update 90 degrees here on Saturday went for a fairly long ride never went over 180 degrees. I guess the next step is to get a shroud and a clutch fan. I can say I can feel the hot air coming in the floor vents I didn't feel that with the electric fans. I definitely feel the horsepower difference with my butt meter not huge but I do notice it.