Author Topic: 428 CJ +.030 Old School freshen up statistic for those who wonder about stock.  (Read 3666 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Stock 9d block, 9c heads and 9c iron intake.
Old +.030 with quick hone and new rings
Stock rods, crankshaft, new bearings
No porting on heads and intake, stock
Fresh valve job but re-used everything, springs, valves, retainers, etc. but new seals.
HFT stock replacement camshaft with stock pushrods, non-adjustable rocker arms.
60 psi oil pressure, stock pan with windage tray.

Dyno headers, 750 VS dyno carb, stock ford points distributor.

Ran the engine at 2000 rpm to seat the rings, put 200 lb/ft torque on engine for several minutes and varied to 3000 rpm to make sure everything was seating in properly, set timing at 37* and made a short pull.  Everything looked good, so it was let cool down and heat soak.

Made another pull from 3000-6000, and checked it over, no leaks, no smoke, and it sounded just like a stockish 428 CJ should.

Set timing to 38* and made a second pull, and power came up, and torque was up a couple, so it was deemed ready for customer.

PS, got the dyno sheets reversed.  Sorry.  Joe-JDC

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 12:06:36 PM by Joe-JDC »
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Pretty cool.

I know that a mild hydraulic roller and some Ferrea valves will pick one up to about 425hp/460 torque.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Joe, I'm interested in the cam you used. Does somebody make a 100% match factory CJ cam?
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Stock points distributor?  What?  Oh, the humanity!!!  LOL!

The grief I get for running a Unilite conversion in my old dual point tach drive mallory!  I don't see the need for a $300 MSD distributor.
Larry

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
Lunati hydraulic flat tappet camshaft for power brakes, power steering, smog equipment, stock cast iron exhausts, etc.  10330211 262/272, 207/217 @ .050", .507/.533 on 112/108.  Very mild camshaft on purpose.  Peak torque at 3300, peak horsepower at 4800.  Actually would work well in a truck.  LOL.  Did not have a problem at 6000 rpm, but started falling off fairly quickly after 5500.  Going into a R code restoration that will only be driven to owner's private museum, and then all liquids drained and vehicle put on display.  No need for HIGHER performance.   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

TwoFifty

• View Profile
Thanks for posting.  Nearly identical numbers and in the same spots compared to the stock rebuild in our family Mach 1 from years ago.

I'd have to dig out the dyno sheets, but it was interesting to see that in our case (25 years ago) it was run with both dyno headers and CJ Mustang exhaust manifolds with very minimal losses switching back to the manifolds FWIW for those curious (I think it was under 10 hp loss).  Likely due to the relatively low peak RPM needing less airflow?

Dad always said it was a "great dump truck motor".  You had the same comment which made me laugh and prompted me to post and share!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Also almost exactly what a stock 428CJ made on my dyno, but the one I ran used stock 428CJ exhaust manifolds.  I'm surprised that the headers didn't help it more...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

frnkeore

• View Profile
Looking at the average HP numbers, they are very close to Fords rating. Always said to be low. I'm wondering if Ford used average HP when they rated it. So, if they where push about it, they would have a real criteria, for doing so.

I had always assumed that they had just picked a number, just to get it in a better NHRA class.
Frank

WerbyFord

• View Profile
The Gonkulator sees about 20hp more in there, about 10 extra from the cam (vs the 428CJ) and 10 extra from the headers (vs iron CJ exhaust).

I wonder, were there mufflers at the end of the dyno pipes?

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
Yes, to mufflers.  Remember, I didn't do any tuning or spacers, etc., just broke it in, and made a couple of pulls to verify everything was working properly, and no leaks.  I would have liked to change timing more, different carb, different headers/exhaust manifolds, spacers, and of course I would have ported the heads and intake, better camshaft, but this is going into a museum display vehicle that will be parked for years.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
Made 5 more dyno pulls with fresh stock 735 Holley, and fresh distributor with pertronix conversion.  371.7 Hp, different day, different weather conditions, etc.  Engine is back in car, headed to museum.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
I have done several of them that come in right around that range.  And I always get people asking why so low compared to the internet rumors of 385-400 or more