Author Topic: 505 FE BP Pro-Ports Tunnel Wedge Street/strip  (Read 5270 times)

ToddK

• View Profile
505 FE BP Pro-Ports Tunnel Wedge Street/strip
« on: May 20, 2020, 11:11:21 PM »
Performance Summary:
      Cubic Inches: 505              Dyno brand: Superflow
      Power Adder:  N/A             Where dynoed: Perth, Western Australia
      Peak Horsepower: 714 @6650rpm
      Peak Torque: 626 @4950rpm

Horsepower and Torque Curves:

Engine Specifications:
   Block brand, material, finished bore size, other notes: Genesis cast iron, 4.35" bore

Crankshaft brand, cast or forged, stroke, journal size: RPM forged, 4.25" stroke

Connecting Rods brand, material, center to center distance, end sizes, bolts: Oliver steel, 6.7"

Piston brand, material (caster, hypereutectic or forged), dish/dome volume, static CR: CP custom flat top, 12.2 to 1

Main Bearings, Rod Bearings, Cam Bearings brand and size: FM

Piston rings brand, size, other notes:

Oil Pump, pickup, and drive: Melling HV

Oil pan, windage tray, oil filter adapter: Canton 15-850 7 qt, Canton windage tray, POP oil filter adapter

Camshaft brand, type (hyd/solid, flat tappet or roller), lift and duration (adv and @.050") BP custom Bullet solid roller ~ 0.700" lift

Lifters brand, type: Crower

Timing chain and timing cover: FE Power

Cylinder heads brand, material, port and chamber information: BP Edelbrock Pro-Port street strip

Rocker arm brand, type (adjustable or non-adj), material, ratio: T&D Race

Pushrods brand, type, length: Custom 7/16"

Valve covers, brand, type: FE POwer

Distributor brand, advance curve information: MSD 8594, locked timing curve, MSD crank trigger

Harmonic balancer brand: ATI

Water pump brand, type (mechanical or electric): CSR electric

Intake manifold brand, material, porting information: BBM tunnel wedge, ported by BP

Carburetor(s) brand, type: 2x4 Holley 660 modified

Exhaust manifolds or headers brand, type: Custom headers 2" primaries
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:39:08 PM by ToddK »

ToddK

• View Profile
Re: 505 FE BP Pro-Ports Tunnel Wedge Street/strip
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »
This engine is destined for my 64 Fairlane drag car. Apart from the compression ratio, it could easily be run as a serious street/strip type engine. I sourced the heads, intake manifold, rockers, cam and pistons from Blair Patrick, and my brief to him was I wanted a strong, reliable, relatively low maintenance engine to run in my drag car. As I only plan to run the car a couple of  times a year, I didn't want a highly strung race engine, but something that was easily identifiable by looks and performance as an FE. I think he met the brief perfectly, and I'm very happy with the result. I think there is still a bit more hp to be had from the engine with a pair of more tuneable carbs, but the 660's fit nicely inline and will look correct under the air bonnet in the car.

Below is the chart from the dyno. The dyno operator started the run at 5000rpm, as that is the stall speed of the converter I will be running. He did do a few lower rpm pulls before hand, and the torque was a bit higher at lower rpm's, but I don't have any evidence of that, so those are the numbers I'm working with.

57 lima bean

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 01:09:56 AM »
   Impressive ! What were you running for fuel?

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 04:58:06 AM »
VP MS109. Leaded racing fuel is now outlawed down here.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 07:00:53 AM by ToddK »

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 06:15:54 AM »
Very nice engine!  I'm going to guess that peak torque was around 4300 to 4400, depending on headers and collectors used.  That should move the Fairlane right along.  Congrats to you!
Blair Patrick

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 07:00:11 AM »

The power runs were done with the vacuum pump hooked up, it was pulling about 8” of vacuum.

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 07:30:52 AM »
Todd, is this the engine that Leon built?
Looks great and nice numbers.
Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 07:34:37 AM »
Sweet engine! Sharp looking too! Looking forward to seeing a time slip. ;)

I'm curious, which exhaust port did you get with your Pro-Ports?
Kevin McCullah

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 07:42:58 AM »
Todd, is this the engine that Leon built?

Yes, it is.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 07:47:35 AM »

Thanks for that.

Hopefully Blair might refresh my memory, but I think it has the Colvert exhaust port.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 07:48:51 AM »
Nice! Say, who did the headers? Tube & colletor size and overall length? Looks like they would fit under any early Fairlane with an OEM front end, unless the car has a tube chassis front clip.
Bob Maag

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 08:30:02 AM »
The headers have 2” primaries, not sure on length, but the local guy who built them tried to make them as equal in length as he could. The collectors are 4” diameter.

My car has had the shock towers and inner fenders cut away, but has the original front chassis rails. It uses the standard lower front control arms, tubular upper control arms that mount to the original upper mounts. Coil over shocks, and rack and pinion steering. Below is a picture of the engine bay with the 406 out of my Galaxie, I used that to get the car licensed.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 08:45:13 AM »
Thanks! Wish I had your header guy here in the States.   :(
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 09:11:29 AM »
Nice valve covers  ;D  That engine is a dead ringer in performance for the 511" FE that I ran at Drag Week in 2005.  Very similar build, except mine had ported Edelbrocks and a worked over Victor with a Dominator 1150 carb.  Peak torque on mine was 634, and peak HP 706.  At Drag Week I drove that engine from Minneapolis to Kansas City, then from KC to St. Louis, St. Louis to Bowling Green, Bowling Green to Columbus, and Columbus to Martin Michigan, then back home to Minneapolis.  2500 miles in one week.  I'll bet your engine will be just as street friendly, and pull down some great track numbers.  Congrats!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 09:20:22 AM »

Thanks for that.

Hopefully Blair might refresh my memory, but I think it has the Colvert exhaust port.

I think when we did your heads we were still using Jeff's exhaust port, so that would be the same as yours, Kevin.  I have two different ones now.  I have a "stock" location one that flows about 240, and the reshaped and relocated version that goes 255 to 280 depending on the valve size.  Port size and throat diameter is easily changed based on valve size.  I used to get about 250 from the ones like you guys have.......still very good, and Mr. Jeff has been fast with that exhaust port.
Blair Patrick