Author Topic: Holman and moody ad  (Read 5220 times)

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
Holman and moody ad
« on: October 27, 2019, 06:23:53 AM »
Don't know the year this was done but I didn't know they made 351C aluminum blocks, and to buy cammer heads for $250, sign me up. Sorry but the writing is small, shared this from the Fairlane club forum.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 11:12:26 AM by cattleFEeder »
Remember, RPM is your friend

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Holman and moody ad
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 09:17:27 AM »
I remember seeing that ad and others from H-M. My old pal Randy Migut bought one of their Cammers, the dual four barrel version for about $2,000, long ago now.

But I had to laugh then and now too about the aluminum 351C blocks. Precious few were ever made and the few that were went to folks like Dyno Don Nicholson. Not NHRA Pro Stock legal in the era, he ran them in match races only.  That great old mag, Super Stock & Drag Illustrated had an article on his match race setup with those hi-ported alum. heads and matching alum. block. Later, fellow Illinois resident and racer Animal Jim Feurer bought out his entire stash of Pro Stock small-block engines as the big guns switched to Boss 429 engines. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 08:02:03 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 08:56:27 AM »
What we need

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 09:13:10 AM »
and 1.21 gigawatts....
Larry

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 10:57:15 AM »
   "They" didn't make aluminum 351C blocks , Ford DID. I have one that I have owned since '78. I also have a few sets of the aluminum 351C heads that were used on that block. It was made at the request of one Henry Yunick better known as Smokey in Oct of '68. It was to be used in a 305 or 320 ci. It seems there were about 50 cast though all were not machined and around 100 heads were cast but not all were finish machined as well.
    Holman Moody was used by Ford as a way to sell off obsolete race parts . There was too much "red tape" involved in trying to put "race" parts into their system , so dumping them onto H&M solved the problem. H&M also serviced them ( something Ford dealers couldn't do) and sold the many replacement parts that Ford had stockpiled.
    Randy

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 12:22:46 PM »
   "They" didn't make aluminum 351C blocks , Ford DID. I have one that I have owned since '78. I also have a few sets of the aluminum 351C heads that were used on that block. It was made at the request of one Henry Yunick better known as Smokey in Oct of '68. It was to be used in a 305 or 320 ci. It seems there were about 50 cast though all were not machined and around 100 heads were cast but not all were finish machined as well.
    Holman Moody was used by Ford as a way to sell off obsolete race parts . There was too much "red tape" involved in trying to put "race" parts into their system , so dumping them onto H&M solved the problem. H&M also serviced them ( something Ford dealers couldn't do) and sold the many replacement parts that Ford had stockpiled.
    Randy

Yes, as H-M didn't make those parts (I wasn't clear) but Ford did in the small quantities you noted. Would love to see a few pics of the block and the heads as the only pics I ever saw was in a drag mag. highlighting Dyno Don lifting an empty block in his arms!

Bob Maag

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 12:59:14 PM »
  I bought the last 351C (429ci actually) that Dyno direct from Don in Atlanta that he used to go 7.99 in '78 match race trim. I still own it. There are about twenty blocks still around by my count. There should be some nice pics on the internet. Mine is in storage at the moment.
    Randy

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 02:39:28 PM »
  I bought the last 351C (429ci actually) that Dyno direct from Don in Atlanta that he used to go 7.99 in '78 match race trim. I still own it. There are about twenty blocks still around by my count. There should be some nice pics on the internet. Mine is in storage at the moment.
    Randy

Awesome! I clearly remember reading Drag Week on that 7.99 run, I think it was the first 7 by any team then in match trace trim. IIRC, he had a huge (tall) scoop on the car for that weekend.

Not the article where Nicholson lifts the empty block but pics of that all aluminum engine.

http://351c.net/wiki/Magazine%20Articles/dynodon/DDlights_fantastic.pdf

Well, if it ever comes out of storage, please post those pics here!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 02:43:08 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 06:13:20 PM »
Yeah there was his Mustang II with a Formula5000 scoop and there was also his 79/80 Mustang that had a 429CJ type engine with factory aluminum block and heads.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 09:39:04 AM »
That engine replaced my engine and was the only reason I was able to buy it. Jon freshened it up and I sent Don a pile of cash ( the engine was at his Atlanta house not out here)and they air freighted it on a pallet to me. I still have all of the freight bills besides the engine.
    Randy

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 11:14:09 AM »
So, whatca' going run it in? A roadster, F.E.D nostalgia? A modern R.E.D.? Street/strip car?  ;D

We want to know! LOL
Bob Maag

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 11:20:48 AM »
Yeah there was his Mustang II with a Formula5000 scoop and there was also his 79/80 Mustang that had a 429CJ type engine with factory aluminum block and heads.

Yep, that was the scoop and now it comes to me Drag Week (or Drag News?) had that car with the IIRC unpainted white Formula 5000 scoop (looked kinda' odd for sure) sticking way up.
Bob Maag

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
So, whatca' going run it in? A roadster, F.E.D nostalgia? A modern R.E.D.? Street/strip car?  ;D

We want to know! LOL
    When I got it , it went into my my 178" SPE  F.E.D. It ran some 7.70s as I didn't run the engine 'on kill" like Don did and the Powerglide was not a Lenco ( obviously). I then built a R.E.D. at 212" wb and got down to 7.33@ 182 in '81. The next car I put it in was a '77 Mustang II ( Lee Hunter replica) as Lee and I were on the cover of Car Craft in July of '77. I ran that car in Super Comp where it ran a best of 8.62@ 163. I quit running that car in '88 and sold the car , keeping the engine.
    Randy

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 10:33:05 AM »
That is so cool Randy , I wish your post had a like button

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »
Very cool! Love the low e.t in the 2nd dragster. Maybe we will see it run again............this time with that darn fangled new invention......video!  :o
Bob Maag