Author Topic: Very Beginning of the 60 Starliner  (Read 16125 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Very Beginning of the 60 Starliner
« on: October 15, 2019, 08:50:00 AM »
Within the past few weeks I was able to get a single stall conditioned room in the barn set up to work on some things this winter. I'm admittedly pretty fussy about cold weather.

We have been collecting parts for the Starliner for about 2 years now it seems like. Its a hipo 352 car, black with black interior. With help from people on here I was able to locate the correct engine that actually date codes with the car very well. I will be taking all the windows out and stripping out the rest of the remaining interior. We'll take it to the blaster, and then over to a metal working shop. We visited the guys shop a couple weeks ago, he is incredibly talented, we'll only be using about a tenth of his ability with what this car needs (trunk floor and some body patches). https://tinelement.com/ The low drag jaguar on his site he built from scratch.

This is going to be a long-term deal and I'm fully prepared for it to take a while. Trying to put it back together as nicely and as correct as our skill allows us. Still searching for the dang carb and the air cleaner lid!! I've had some good leads, but haven't found anybody willing to part ways with the stuff they have. Any help with that would be much appreciated.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Very Beginning of the 60 Starliner
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 10:46:48 AM »
A dream build of mine.
Have a great time with it.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 12:24:40 PM »
Marvelous.  A bucket list car of mine.  Keep up the good work.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »
Nice tidy workspace too!  Looking forward to more updates  8) 8)
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 08:15:58 PM »
I just want the engine job! ;D

An all-time favorite of mine.....the 352/360 and the 375/390 were responsible for my dad's passion for the FE, which ultimately was responsible for anything and everything I have ever done with the FE.

I'm sure you will do the car proud!
Blair Patrick

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 09:18:45 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Blair, here's the engine. A guy in Indiana had it sitting in his barn. It's got about 75% the right stuff on it. He had an air cleaner lid, but it was for a '61, not '60. Looking back, I should have got the air cleaner lid anyhow so we at least had something. It's supposed to have been rebuilt, run on a test stand, and then stored, but it'll need taken apart and inspected.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 10:29:34 AM »
Mike do you have a picture of the air cleaner lid?
I've got a few on the shelves but have no idea what they are? I'll be in Parker in early Nov. and again in early Dec.
Richard
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:50:24 PM by FERoadster »

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 01:47:16 PM »
Mike do you have a picture of the air cleaner lid?
I've got a few on the shelves but have no idea what they are? I'll be in Parker in early Non. and again in early Dec.
Richard

Richard, I put a couple deals below so you can see the difference. This seems to be something that gets overlooked quite a bit. The second picture is from this car https://www.hotrod.com/articles/super-rare-superstar-1960-ford-starliner-360hp-high-performance-v-8/  One of the most nicely restored 60's that I've seen, but it has a '61 lid on it. Might be because of availability, in my searching I've drummed up 3-5 times as many '61 lids as 60's.

This is the correct '60 lid:

This is a '61 lid:
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »
The car is now a trunk lid removal away from being 100% stripped. I spent a lot of time chipping away at all the seam sealer, not real sure if that was necessary or not, but I wasn't confident that the blaster could get it up. No huge surprises yet. The drivers foot area is the worst portion of the car, it is rusted through, but we could see that already. This week/weekend I'll build a metal frame for under the car and get it off the sketchy skates. Should be blasted soon, then we'll really know the condition.

Wondering if anybody has used this AMD floor pan? Judging from their pictures it looks pretty darn accurate.
http://www.autometaldirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=21106&gclid=CjwKCAjwo9rtBRAdEiwA_WXcFigxEVgrdVFRVabK7vIg3J3FTbxuE6j-jhrEnz9lJ-C13JgSSuyzGxoCxM8QAvD_BwE

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 01:15:02 PM »
I posted a question on the 62 Galaxie facebook group and while nobody had used the pan, they all assumed it would be as good as the other AMD products they've used and spoke highly of.  There are several videos from AMD on the pan here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-o8nGQQAaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA--TU54jtA

Looks like a good unit, I'll be putting one in my '62 this winter.  If we can get 2-for-1 shipping on them or something, I may be interested in ordering when you do, I'm just over the hill in Fort Collins.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 02:20:01 PM »
If we can get 2-for-1 shipping on them or something, I may be interested in ordering when you do, I'm just over the hill in Fort Collins.

I'd be interested in doing something like that! Let me get this thing blasted and have the metal guy look at it, I'm going to leave the decision up to him whether we do an entire new floor pan or patch whats there.

I have some '62 parts you may need, can't find anybody else within driving distance that has a '62 and needs parts..... text me and I'll send you pictures back of the random stuff I have. 970-397-four five one two   Main thing I have that is in the way is a trunk lid.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 08:33:10 AM »
The blaster will definitely NOT go through that sealer, or sound deadener, so good call removing it.

Can't wait to see this project progress. The '60 is my favorite of the '60s era full size Fords. I always wondered why it was so overlooked, compared to the '63s and '64s. They are beautiful cars! My Dad and I used to have some NOS trim pieces and hard to find small chrome stuff. I'll have to look around and see what might still be around.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 08:50:49 AM »
Mike,
check with Drew on the carb.  He's in this forum and also has a FB page called Air Fuel Spark.  Love all the pics and the car!  My experience with AMD parts has been excellent. Bought a '63 Galaxie trunk molding a few weeks ago from them and it was first-rate; went right on and was identical to the old one. 

Like Blair, my love for the FE came when I first saw my Dad's '62 390-6V. Not only the look of the engine but the way it could melt the cast-iron rear tires of the day!
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 08:59:26 AM »
My Dad and I used to have some NOS trim pieces and hard to find small chrome stuff. I'll have to look around and see what might still be around.

Doug, that would be wonderful. Whatever you can find I'd buy from you. Funny how we've bought different packages of chrome from people and have 3 of some things but still have zero of others. After this car is complete I'll probably need to sell off the surplus, but right now I'm still collecting.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 09:10:50 AM »
Mike,
check with Drew on the carb.  He's in this forum and also has a FB page called Air Fuel Spark.

Thank Bruce! I have Drew on the lookout for one. I figured with as many carbs as he goes through maybe one of them that comes through his shop will be the right deal. They're very specific, Part # C0AE-9510-AA, List #2112. Only ever installed on the '60 hipo Starliners to my knowledge.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com