Author Topic: Cup plug size for oil galley 427  (Read 1647 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Cup plug size for oil galley 427
« on: September 20, 2019, 04:37:34 PM »
I've decided not to attempt to tap my oil galleys. What size cup plug are the main galley, the hole front to back? A 5/8" dia. is too big. The hole is .545 dia. Possibly a 19/32"? Then, where to get them? NAPA, AZ & AA locally don't carry the cup plugs anymore.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 06:11:20 PM by fairlaniac »
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX
1964 Comet Pro Street 427+ (in progress)

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: Cup plug size for oil galley 427
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 06:52:34 PM »
Doug. I bought a whole plug kit from NAPA. I`ll check tomorrow when I stop at the shop. I may have a kit here in the garage also. Garry

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 07:31:54 PM »
I've decided not to attempt to tap my oil galleys. What size cup plug are the main galley, the hole front to back? A 5/8" dia. is too big. The hole is .545 dia. Possibly a 19/32"? Then, where to get them? NAPA, AZ & AA locally don't carry the cup plugs anymore.

Thanks,

Just as an item of information, a galley is an ancient ship of war, mostly propelled by several rows of oars. It is also the kitchen on a ship.

A gallery is a passageway, in engine nomenclature, such as a bored opening in an engine block, through which oil is often passed. (It can also apply to a hallway, or group of rooms, where art objects are displayed.)

KS

Sources for review? Try Google.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 07:55:25 PM »
By the way, I have all the oil gallery plugs from the plug kit I bought for my recent build and you are welcome to them at no cost if you'd like them.
I can drop them to you in a first class envelope. I have pipe plugs in everything.

-Keith

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 09:10:23 PM »

Thanks,

Just as an item of information, a galley is an ancient ship of war, mostly propelled by several rows of oars. It is also the kitchen on a ship.

A gallery is a passageway, in engine nomenclature, such as a bored opening in an engine block, through which oil is often passed. (It can also apply to a hallway, or group of rooms, where art objects are displayed.)

KS

Thank you for the explanation of the pressurized lubrication chamber.
Doug Bender

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 09:15:14 PM »
By the way, I have all the oil gallery plugs from the plug kit I bought for my recent build and you are welcome to them at no cost if you'd like them.
I can drop them to you in a first class envelope. I have pipe plugs in everything.

-Keith
Keith, thanks for the offer. I bought a Moroso kit and Melling kit and both have six of the cup plugs which I assume are 7/16”. I’m thinking I need 19/32” plugs. If you have something around that size I’d take them. Thanks! I’ll PM you.
Doug Bender

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 05:53:38 PM »

Thanks,

KS

Some OEM's aren't even calling the passages galleries anymore. Most of the new literature from the OEMs I deal with at work are now calling it rifle pressure.

I understand that many of the oil passages in blocks are rifled drilled, but I only worried about rifle pressure when working up hot hand loads for a rifle.

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 06:05:12 PM »

I understand that many of the oil passages in blocks are rifled drilled, but I only worried about rifle pressure when working up hot hand loads for a rifle.

And that's a totally different type of C.U.P!

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 06:34:43 PM »

And that's a totally different type of C.U.P!

Both involve copper at some point tho!