Author Topic: timing light recomendation  (Read 2447 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
timing light recomendation
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:42:47 AM »
In the market for a new timing light. Any recommendations?

About a year ago I borrowed 2 lights from a couple buddies that they considered their best light to compare against my old chrome non dial back light. Both where older dial backs. The issue was that I had a different reading from all 3. Great so which one is correct and which is wrong, who knows... Any easy way to verify accuracy besides comparison testing?

edit.. One that will work with stock and aftermarket ignition boxes i.e. Mallory, MSD, etc. Or best to have a separate light for each?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:47:28 AM by BigBlueIron »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: timing light recomendation
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 10:10:03 AM »
I've got two older Craftsman lights(one adj, one non adj).  I've never compared the two.

With the old analog dial and a sticker for numbers I wouldn't call it super accurate.  Maybe a digital version would be closer?  Though as long as you use the same one why would it matter?

Kinda like tire pressure gauges or weather stations(for racing).  As long as you use the same one, it's all about consistency.
Larry

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 10:54:23 AM »
 I would have to agree use the same one, consistently.
I have noticed they do drift with age, but the old style drifts less. I had a lab at work that could check calibration, but they closed the lab. Some we were able to adjust, some not, but the old non dial back style would hold a calibration much better,  over time.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 02:36:43 PM »
I bought an.... Inova i think the name was a couple of years back
as far as i know it working as it should, works with MSD

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 03:38:29 PM »
Recently my inductive pickup crashed into a spinning fan blade and I learned that my "Ferret" is now out of business, but after a little searching found that an MSD pick-up plugged right into it.

Originally thinking mine was toast, I looked at most of them $$$ and was going to buy a Snap-on light from ebay (1261 or 2261) as I have had good luck with snap-on quality, but not so much the price. There are plenty of them used and in the box that look like new.

Having a tach, strobe and dialback all in the palm of your hand is as good as a distributor machine.  You need one or the other to do it right.
(Snap-on has the option of using a Piezo "adapter" clamped on an injector line to set timing on some mechanically injected diesels)

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 03:56:52 PM »
I've put lots of miles on the Snap-ons, and I like them, but they do have a tendency for the wires to break down inside the insulation where they enter the body. Often just a tedious shorten/solder job, but worth watching for in a used unit. It starts out with just having to tilt it the right way to operate.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 04:38:37 PM »
My go-to is an older Craftsman dial back.  Had it a long time - well more than 20 years.  Hate to have to go shopping for a new one.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:37:15 AM by Falcon67 »

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 05:53:14 PM »
You need the cheapest, non-fancy, ABSOLUTELY NO DIAL BACK, inductive light you can find.  You just want it to pick up a signal and flash......no electronics in between.  The dial back lights are not accurate with MSD and some others.
Blair Patrick

chris401

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 07:18:42 PM »
Recently my inductive pickup crashed into a spinning fan blade and I learned that my "Ferret" is now out of business, but after a little searching found that an MSD pick-up plugged right into it.

Originally thinking mine was toast, I looked at most of them $$$ and was going to buy a Snap-on light from ebay (1261 or 2261) as I have had good luck with snap-on quality, but not so much the price. There are plenty of them used and in the box that look like new.

Having a tach, strobe and dialback all in the palm of your hand is as good as a distributor machine.  You need one or the other to do it right.
(Snap-on has the option of using a Piezo "adapter" clamped on an injector line to set timing on some mechanically injected diesels)
PM sent on your Ferret.

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 09:08:11 PM »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 07:32:56 AM »
You need the cheapest, non-fancy, ABSOLUTELY NO DIAL BACK, inductive light you can find.  You just want it to pick up a signal and flash......no electronics in between.  The dial back lights are not accurate with MSD and some others.

You really got me wondering.  I'll have to do a little comparison between my two Craftsmans variations on the wagon(6AL).
Larry

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 08:46:43 AM »
I decided to get one similar to my old one, old school chrome non dial back and plan on also getting a digital dial back version in the future. Found an old sears/penske light with a hard case for 35 bucks shipped, can't beat that. I will like that case, always have the cord tangled up with the old one as it was detachable and piss me off to no end.

C6AE, I do some diesel work and already have the adapter from blue point it will work with about any light. Side note there are 2 thoughts on where to place the clamp on the injection line, at the pump or at the injector. I recommend the pump.

I also mess with few old tractors, welders and other stuff with points, anybody have an opinion on those old in line timing lights? I have one but I use it for a spark tester while troubleshooting.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 09:38:41 AM »

I've heard that - but haven't had an issue with either the Mallory 685 on the door car, nor with the 7AL-3 and crank trigger on the dragster.  Works fine and accurate with both. 

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 10:16:10 AM »

[/quote]

I've heard that - but haven't had an issue with either the Mallory 685 on the door car, nor with the 7AL-3 and crank trigger on the dragster.  Works fine and accurate with both. 
[/quote]

Mallory 685 best ignition box ever.