Author Topic: Rear Main replacement  (Read 2621 times)

PaulProe

• View Profile
Rear Main replacement
« on: August 08, 2019, 07:36:22 PM »
My leaking rear main just isn't going to fix itself. Probably time to do a proper repair.

Can the seal be replaced successfully without dropping the crank? Is there a written article anywhere that discusses the procedures.

Familiar with putting the seal in when the engine is upside down on the engine stand - but when I'm upside down under the car, it's a different thing

? ? ?

Paul

jmlay

• View Profile
Re: Rear Main replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 07:39:08 PM »
Lots of discussion on this subject. Search is a great tool:

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?action=search2
Mike

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 08:15:59 AM »
I did it years ago on my pickup.  Raise the engine a little for some room, lower oil pan, remove oil pump so you can remove oil pan, loosen the bolts on the bearing caps, remove the rear main cap, do the seal and put it all back together.

Not impossible and certainly not fun either.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 08:46:24 AM »
I'm sure replacing a rubber seal is much easier then an old rope seal back in the day.

As long as you offset the parting line, there will be something for you to grab a hold of.  Some lubrication should allow you to slip the new one in around the crank.

I've heard in the past of having to loosen all the mains to get the crank to drop enough to make it easier.  That would have to be determined as you do it.
Larry

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 09:30:46 AM »
I just did the rear main on my 416. Dropped the pan. Wrastled the rear main cap out. Found the 1982 seal had a torn lip. Rolled a new Fel-Pro seal half into the block. It went easy with a few drops of oil. Pumped the side grooves full of Right Stuff. New pan gasket. Done deal. No leaks.
Kevin McCullah

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »
I just did the rear main on my 416. Dropped the pan. Wrastled the rear main cap out. Found the 1982 seal had a torn lip. Rolled a new Fel-Pro seal half into the block. It went easy with a few drops of oil. Pumped the side grooves full of Right Stuff. New pan gasket. Done deal. No leaks.

I havent used actual side seals in quite a while.  I’ve been using silicone with excellent results.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 09:53:58 PM »
Plus one each for the last two comments. If you turn the crank as you push the block side of the seal through it makes a load of difference.

KS